What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum? - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #101 of 330 Old 03-24-07, 10:27 AM
Senior Shackster
lovingdvd

Re: What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?

Thanks Wayne - yes the pic on page 19 is very helpful indeed! Looks like my local guitar shop has the male XLR so I may go that route instead.

Just one question remaining - how am I supposed to wire the shield of the RCA to the proper pin on the TRS or XLR?

I ask because my understanding now is that the shield will be a braided type of aluminum similar to that found on RG6 cable. So because it is not a wire (rather just "foil") how am I suppose to connect that to the right pin? Am I suppose to take a little wire and wrap it around the shield/foil a few times and solder it there, then connect that to the proper pin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 330 Old 03-24-07, 01:58 PM
Senior Shackster
lovingdvd

Success!!

I'm happy to report that the custom adapter worked!! The hum is now gone and bass is unaffected (at least by ear - haven't rechecked with REW but not planning to).

Funny thing is that when I first turned it on it was humming pretty good. My initial thought was "not good". Then I remembered I still had the cheater plug on that I used to test for the ground loop.

When I removed the cheater plug the hum was gone. I don't know the theory about how this fix works but it seems logical that having the cheater plug in with this new cable would then "reverse" the situation and bring the hum back.

Again I want to say thanks to all those who contributed to this thread, idea and a special thanks to Wayne for offering to build the cables. I can't say I'm proud of my solder job - but hey, it works!
post #103 of 330 Old 03-24-07, 02:58 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr
Re: Success!!

Quote:
lovingdvd wrote: View Post
but hey, it works
Just the "+" and the "-" used to feed the input of the BFD with the shield ground input to the BFD left open? So you had the same good results in doing this that I did.

post #104 of 330 Old 03-24-07, 05:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Just now seeing your new posts, Ric. For some reason my e-mail notification is spotty these days. Happy that you were able to sub an XLR for that crummy Radio Shack plug!

Quote:
Just one question remaining - how am I supposed to wire the shield of the RCA to the proper pin on the TRS or XLR?
After you unwrap the braiding, you can twist it all together, like this:

What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?-p2170107-.jpg

What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?-p2170108-.jpg

At that point I would cut the shield fairly short (tin it first) before soldering it to Pin 3. Since it doesn't have any protective insulation, you don't want it shorting out somewhere:

What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?-p2170138-.jpg

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #105 of 330 Old 03-25-07, 07:28 AM
Shackster
tbrooke

I've had my BFD for a while with no hum problem but I connected up my cable and I have the dreaded hum. The BFD is near my sub amp and actually moving it a little helps but still some hum.

I have followed this thread and am I correct in thinking that all I have to do to solve the hum problem is make some of these XLR thingies?

It ssems with all the hum discussion on this forum an enterprising solderer would make some BFD connectors - Since no one has I guess I'll break out the soldering iron and make my own.

Tom
post #106 of 330 Old 03-25-07, 09:07 AM
Senior Shackster
lovingdvd

The only thing I'm not particularly happy about with my custom made cable is that I didn't know how to do anything special to prevent someone from pulling on the cable and pulling the solder leads right off or having them break off (more likely).

With a smaller wire I would have just made a knot in the inside. How can I go about adding something to make it more "tug proof"?
post #107 of 330 Old 03-25-07, 02:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Typically XLR’s have built-in strain relief. Some have a pair of screws 180 degrees apart at the end of the barrel that you can tighten down. Neutrik XLRs (the ones in the pictures I posted before) have a built-in collar that clamps down on the cable when you screw the barrel on.

The soldered connection is very robust – it’s not going to break free. The wires will break before the solder gives up.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #108 of 330 Old 03-25-07, 06:51 PM
Senior Shackster
lovingdvd

Oh ok thanks Wayne, so that's what that little plastic piece does inside of the XLR. Nice!
post #109 of 330 Old 11-18-07, 02:08 AM
Shackster
Rich

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
Yeah, the problem there is two-fold. Many of these baluns pass the ground through on one side. You have to get the kind that uses no ground pass-thru. It needs to be checked with a meter. The other problem is the bandwidth. Many of these baluns only pass TV signals and don't pass the CATV full bandwidth.

The best solution would be to use a in-line transformer on the CATV cable that passed at least 1GHz and those are expensive, so the capacitive solution is the next best so as to block the DC current, yet pass the bandwidth for CATV AC signals.

Here's a ISO-MAX VRD-1FF Cable TV Ground Isolator ground break solution that you would put at the STB as the cable enters. It should do the trick I would think. A bit expensive, but that's what it takes...

brucek
brucek,

Can I install this where the cable feed enters the house, prior to the first splitter the feed is connected to, instead of at the STB? Doing it at the point it enters the house would correct the problem for all TV's in the house as well as for my cable modem. Would there be anything wrong with doing it this way?

I plan on adding an XBOX 360 in the near future. It will be connected to my home network and I don't want to have the same problem with the XBOX 360 causing this problem after I fix it at the STB.

Thanks,

-Rich

post #110 of 330 Old 11-18-07, 08:16 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
Can I install this where the cable feed enters the house, prior to the first splitter the feed is connected to, instead of at the STB?
Yeah, but be sure to install it after (downstream) from the point where the cable itself is grounded (located inside or outside the house - if at all).

brucek