What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum? - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #131 of 330 Old 12-19-07, 03:33 PM
ckaye99
Inactive

Re: What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?

OK, I think I've got it guys. Thanks very much for the quick help on this matter. Have a nice holiday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 330 Old 12-21-07, 12:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Phil

Great--I thought I dodged the dreaded hum problem!

Without too much backstory, I've been running the BFD for nearly a year between my Yammy rx-v1200 and my SVS pb12+/2. No hum, 4 filters, happy as can be.

Then I get a break financially and decide to upgrade to a Sherbourn 5 x 200 amp and the new Yammy rx-v1800 as the pre/switcher.

Now that I'm hooked up (with the BFD between the Yammy using an XLR to RCA 18" cable and an RCA to RCA with 1/4" adapter between the BFD and the SVS) I have a hum through all the speakers and I can very much hear the hum from the BFD itself, which is back inside the equipment closet. Haven't checked to hear a hum through the SVS or not.

So, I'm at odds over why I get some hum now and not with my previous setup?

I have the Sherbourn amp's 2 powercords going to their own 2 gang box on one side of my equipment closet, and I have the BFD, Yammy and other componenets going through a power-surge protector and connected to a seperate 2 gang box on the opposite side of the closet.

Help!

Dali Mentor 8's/Mentor Vokal/Euphonia Phantom 5.1; Seaton Sound SubMersive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
Planar 7060 until JVC gets lasers figured out...
post #133 of 330 Old 12-21-07, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
I have the Sherbourn amp's 2 powercords going to their own 2 gang box on one side of my equipment closet, and I have the BFD, Yammy and other componenets going through a power-surge protector and connected to a seperate 2 gang box on the opposite side of the closet.
You just answered your own question...............

brucek

post #134 of 330 Old 12-21-07, 04:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Phil

Hey BruceK,
Sorry to be so dense! Help me know how I answered my own question!!!
I actually called Sherbourn to see if they knew what was causing it--he said to just get a couple "cheater" plugs, which I did, and the hum is still there...
When I plug in and power up the BFD it has its own hum from the unit itself. When I take it out of the loop and just fire everything else up the speakers still hum--but the SVS doesn't.
Aarrgghh...
Thanks for any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
post #135 of 330 Old 12-21-07, 05:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Phil

Talking Re: What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?

OK, Brucek, I think I see what you mean.

I've gone back over this thread and I see where you said that using different recepticles for the amp and pre-amp may cause this problem.

So, I'll go try that out and let you know.

post #136 of 330 Old 12-21-07, 05:30 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
Help me know how I answered my own question!!!
OK, sorry, I've been in such a rush lately...

Quote:
he said to just get a couple "cheater" plugs, which I did, and the hum is still there...
Can you tell me where you tried the cheater plugs and the results? Did you try one on the BFD itself, and what was the effect to the sub hum?

Quote:
When I plug in and power up the BFD it has its own hum from the unit itself
By this you mean a mechanical hum from the metal case itself, and not from any speakers? This is another issue and certainty not related to the addition of an external power amplifier.

Quote:
When I take it out of the loop and just fire everything else up the speakers still hum--but the SVS doesn't.
Are you saying that if you leave the BFD in the sub circuit, that it also hums in addition to the new hum you're getting from your main speakers?

Quote:
You just answered your own question
This comment was to indicate that the nature of any properly installed ganged box is that each of the two receptacles in the box will be powered from a seperate circuit. Each circuit will be on an opposite leg of the service panel. This is a recipe for a ground loop.
As a test, unlug your entire HT except for the power amp and receiver (being used as a preamp) plus the sub and BFD. Plug these things into a single receptacle and see if the hum is there. Granted there may not be enough power to run your whole system this way, but it's a test to see if powering from a common leg will remove the hum.

brucek
post #137 of 330 Old 12-23-07, 02:41 AM
Senior Shackster

Phil

Man, I've tried so many different things to no avail...

Cheater plugs, isolating everything down to the amp and avr alone, checking to see if the CableOne guys grounded their stuff outside, etc.

I've definitely got something introduced by the amplifier or the avr. I guess my next thing is to just try the avr by itself to test that...

BTW, everytime I power down I get a sharp "snap" sound from my speakers (not very loud, but noticeable).

Do I have a faulty unit? Since I've not ever heard this noise in my setup before it stands to reason that one of the new pieces (the Sherbourn or the Yamaha) is the problem, right?

I really appreciate the help!

post #138 of 330 Old 12-23-07, 06:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

Hello, I recently added a BFD between my Rotel processos RSP-1098 and my Rotel RB-1080 sub amp. All thoses equipments are on a Rotel RLC-1040 line conditioner. The interconects between the BFD and the amp are XLR - XLR, and RCA - 1/4 between the Processor and the BFD.

Before the insertion of the BFD in the audio line, there was absolutly NO noize, Nothing, Niet. I must admit that now, I got a little noize on the sub. I can ear what I call a 'processing' noize when I am verry close to the sub, but this not seem to be an 'electrical ground' noize.

My conclusion at this time is that the BFD is quite a nice product for features, but not a HI-FI product.

Maybe the velodyne SMS-1 has better results ?

Jean-Pierre Imbeau

post #139 of 330 Old 12-23-07, 12:18 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
BTW, everytime I power down I get a sharp "snap" sound from my speakers (not very loud, but noticeable).
Not uncommon at all for power amplifiers. The manufacturer will usually attempt to design an elegant shutdown, but it all costs money. It's a bit easier for the receiver to do a proper silence shutdown since the processor and power amp is in the same chassis and can be sequenced.

Anyway, you've got the right idea, that you have to strip the system down to nothing and start to build it back up until you identify the culprit causing the loop.

Quote:
My conclusion at this time is that the BFD is quite a nice product for features, but not a HI-FI product.
It's completely fine for a sub though. Don't be fooled into thinking a ground loop has a particular specific 'sound'.
Most people use a BFD with zero hum, buzz etc. You have a ground loop and you'll need to find it if you want your buzz to go away....

brucek
post #140 of 330 Old 12-24-07, 07:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
allredp wrote: View Post
Man, I've tried so many different things to no avail...

Cheater plugs, isolating everything down to the amp and avr alone, checking to see if the CableOne guys grounded their stuff outside, etc.
Have you disconnected the cable line from the system to see if that’s the problem?

Regards,
Wayne

|