Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 04-26-07, 06:59 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Ilkka's Avatar
Ilkka
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,468
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
doreytp wrote: View Post
how many channels does have for a para. Eq, I cannot find anything in the manual, other than it is Para. Eq
It has 9 parametric filters (regular band pass or shelf 6dB/12dB) per each input/output (it has 3 inputs (plus SUM input) and 6 outputs). Plenty enough. Currently I run my whole front-end (LCR) and subwoofer through it.

I'd suggest to DL the remote software. That will make you realize how capable this unit really is. It will run even without the unit.

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG (->software updates)
Ilkka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 40 Old 05-08-07, 10:33 PM
Senior Shackster
fireanimal
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 193
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
It has 9 parametric filters (regular band pass or shelf 6dB/12dB) per each input/output (it has 3 inputs (plus SUM input) and 6 outputs). Plenty enough. Currently I run my whole front-end (LCR) and subwoofer through it.

I'd suggest to DL the remote software. That will make you realize how capable this unit really is. It will run even without the unit.

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG (->software updates)
How do you use this with your sub. Do you let it do the crossovers instead of your reciever. Do you set your reciever to Large speakers, No subs, them sum the three inputs?

Thanks.
fireanimal is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old 05-21-07, 02:54 PM
Senior Shackster
mojave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 114
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

I have had a DCX2496 for about three months and really like it. I purchased it because it is not only a parametric equalizer, but it also has 6 outputs, is a digital crossover, and can be controlled by the computer with the downloadable software and a cheap serial cable. You can also buy a bluetooth to serial device and not even use a cable to your computer! The DCX2496 will also auto-align multitple subwoofers (using an ECM8000 microphone).

I send it a digital 96 kHz signal from my X-Fi Elite soundcard via the spdif output. The X-Fi performs digital volume attentuation and then sends the signal out through both the analog and digital outputs. The analog outputs go directly to my 7 channel amplifier. The digital output goes to the DCX2496 via input A.

Like Ilkka said, it has 9 parametric bands for each input and output. For bass management purposes, this gives you a total of 18 bands of parametric equalization which is more than enough.

I send input A to output A for my subwoofer with the high pass crossover off and the low pass crossover set to 50 Hz. I also send input A to output B for my HSU MBM-12 mid bass module with a high pass crossover at 50 Hz and a low pass crossover of 121 Hz. The crossover in the X-Fi for my analog output is also 121 Hz. Finally, I send input A to output C for my Buttkicker amplifier using a low pass crossover of 50 Hz.

The phase and delay is also adjustable for each output. In addition, the DCX2496 will perform auto-alignment which adjusts the delay of the outputs so that the subwoofer and mid-bass module are aligned. I tested repeatedly and received results within a few inches. The results were very close to the actual distance between the two units. Since my subwoofer is right next to my right front main, it does not need any delay.

I had never used a paramentric equalizer and found the DCX2496 very easy to use and setup. Once you have it connected to your computer, you don't even have to touch the unit again (I leave it on all the time). You can store 60 presets internally and on a pcmcia card. You can also store the presets on your computer in case you need to reset the DCX2496. Again, you can easily switch presets using the computer for comparing settings, house curves, etc., crossovers (12-48dB/octave), etc.

Here are some links of interest:

Behringer DCX2496 webpage
Behringer Specifications
Remote Software You can download and use to get a feel for the DCX2496 with have the DCX2496 present.
Website devoted to DCX2496

Last edited by mojave; 05-21-07 at 04:42 PM.
mojave is offline  
 
post #14 of 40 Old 05-21-07, 04:17 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Ilkka's Avatar
Ilkka
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,468
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
fireanimal wrote: View Post
How do you use this with your sub. Do you let it do the crossovers instead of your reciever. Do you set your reciever to Large speakers, No subs, them sum the three inputs?

Thanks.
Large speakers, no sub on receiver. DCX2496 handles crossovers, delays, EQ etc.

A input = left main (from receiver, pre out)
B input = right main (from receiver, pre out)
C input = center channel (from receiver, pre out)

1 output = left main (to separate power amp)
2 output = right main (to separate power amp)
3 output = center channel (to receiver, main in)
4-6 outputs = 1-3 subwoofers
Ilkka is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old 05-23-07, 12:13 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Bob in St. Louis's Avatar
Bob
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Posts: 443
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Ohhh, I love this thread!
Rencently a Hawthorne forum member was kind enough to loan me his DEQ2496 and DCX2496 to see if they'd "fit my bill". I've got a 5.1 HT rig currently using two sub channels. So technically it's a 5.2 I suppose.
I've installed the DEQ first and have it running. I didn't want too many buttons in the mix, I figured I'd wait until I was comfortable with the DEQ before I installed the DCX.

I've got a few questions so far.

Quote:
mojave wrote: View Post
can be controlled by the computer with the downloadable software and a cheap serial cable.
This I want to do. I decided I want to put the PC in the rack with the rest of the equipment to shorten the RS-232 cable and the Cat-6 LAN cable to the XBox 360 MCE. A few other reasons as well that don't really matter here.

Quote:
The analog outputs go directly to my 7 channel amplifier. The digital output goes to the DCX2496 via input A.
A couple questions here:
#1, When you say 7 channel amp, are you refering to a digital receiver, dedicated surround processor, or just an amp with 7 channels?
#2 What's the purpose of outputting analog and digital of the same signal going to two different places? Is this so one of the pieces of equipment can pick up the rear channels.
#3 Are your XLR cables balanced or unbalanced. (and is unbalanced OK for HT?)
#4 Is the soundcards analog outputs seven descrete channels/cables? in addition to optical?

Quote:
I send input A to output A for my subwoofer with the high pass crossover off and the low pass crossover set to 50 Hz. I also send input A to output B for my HSU MBM-12 mid bass module with a high pass crossover at 50 Hz and a low pass crossover of 121 Hz. The crossover in the X-Fi for my analog output is also 121 Hz. Finally, I send input A to output C for my Buttkicker amplifier using a low pass crossover of 50 Hz.
I think all of this sank in. I've got Aura brand transducers in my seating as well, and would like them to have their own XO point also, but not at the cost of loosing LCR/sub function/control.

I such a virgin with equipment like this.

I'm currently only using optical in and out of the unit from a DVD player through the DEQ to the receiver. 2 channel music works fine, sounds great. However, when I put a DVD in, the input LED's are almost pegged and I get ZERO sound?!
Very interested in the PC integration too.

Thanks for the links!

Bob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bob in St. Louis is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 05-24-07, 09:19 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Ricci's Avatar
Josh
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,431
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

It seems like the consensus is that the DCX2496 is better overall for sub use than the FBQ's. This is what I wanted to know.
How does it compare to the DEQ2496? Do any of these units have EQ below 20hz? I'm trying to avoid getting a Rane PE-17.
Ricci is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 05-24-07, 04:39 PM
Senior Shackster
mojave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 114
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
Bob in St. Louis wrote: View Post
A couple questions here:
#1, When you say 7 channel amp, are you refering to a digital receiver, dedicated surround processor, or just an amp with 7 channels?
I have an amp with 7 channels. It is an Outlaw Audio 7100. I only have a computer and amplifier. My computer is the source for HDTV, DVD-Audio (I have to use analog out to the DCX2496 for this), DVD's, CD's, and ripped music. My X-Fi Elite soundcard does all the decoding.
Quote:
#2 What's the purpose of outputting analog and digital of the same signal going to two different places? Is this so one of the pieces of equipment can pick up the rear channels.
When you output from a 7.1 soundcard or a 7.1 receiver, you use analog front left and right, center, side left and right, rear left and right, and subwoofer outputs. Most people that do digital room correction use the analog subwoofer output and feed it to their equilizer. It is coverted from digital to analog to leave the soundcard/receiver, from analog to digital in the equalizer, and from digital to analog again to leave the equalizer and go to the sub(s).

My soundcard takes all channels and combines them into a digital stereo PCM signal for output via spdif. Because this output is simultaneous with the analog output, I can send it to the DCX2496. This has several benefits: it bypasses the bass management of the soundcard so the bass isn't changed, it sends all frequencies from all channels (subwoofer, LFE, bass in mains, etc) so that I can perform the bass managment that I want, it elimates an analog to digital and digital to analog conversion step, it eliminates problems with an analog signal that isn't attentuated enough by the soundcard.
Quote:
#3 Are your XLR cables balanced or unbalanced. (and is unbalanced OK for HT?)
Since my cables are XLR to RCA, they are unbalanced. Unbalanced is fine for HT since most people use RCA cables anyway. I use Hosa Technology, Inc. cables.
Quote:
#4 Is the soundcards analog outputs seven descrete channels/cables? in addition to optical?
It outputs 8 discrete channels with three cables in addition to the optical cable(I use a 3.5mm stereo to XLR cable for optical).

Quote:
I'm currently only using optical in and out of the unit from a DVD player through the DEQ to the receiver. 2 channel music works fine, sounds great. However, when I put a DVD in, the input LED's are almost pegged and I get ZERO sound?!
The DEQ or DCX only accept a digital stereo PCM signal. A DVD sends either a Dolby Digital or DTS signal (you can select the stereo PCM signal, though). DD and DTS require a decoder. For this reason, you are not able to send the DD and DTS signal to the DEQ or DCX. You have to decode with your computer/soundcard or a receiver and then send the analog subwoofer signal to the equalizer.

Quote:
Ricci wrote:
How does it compare to the DEQ2496? Do any of these units have EQ below 20hz?
The two are similar in quality, but the DCX2496 has more features: digital crossovers, controllable via RS232 and computer, high shelf and low shelf filters (I don't think the DEQ2496 has these), auto alignment for delay and phase control, phase control, simple interface, six outputs, bios upgradable via a computer, and you can store presets on a card or the computer besides just the device.

I recently submitted a question to Behringer about the 20Hz limit on their equalizers. They said that is as low as it can go due to the hardware. They cannot make a bios revision to provide a lower limit. I'm still not sure if a filter that is set to 20Hz will effect signals below that or not. I need to do some more testing, but haven't had time.
mojave is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old 05-24-07, 04:44 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Ilkka's Avatar
Ilkka
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,468
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
mojave wrote: View Post
high shelf and low shelf filters (I don't think the DEQ2496 has these)
It has.

Quote:
I recently submitted a question to Behringer about the 20Hz limit on their equalizers. They said that is as low as it can go due to the hardware. They cannot make a bios revision to provide a lower limit. I'm still not sure if a filter that is set to 20Hz will effect signals below that or not. I need to do some more testing, but haven't had time.
It will affect signals below 20 Hz. I can show you some measurements if you like.
Ilkka is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 05-24-07, 07:58 PM
Senior Shackster
mojave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 114
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
It will affect signals below 20 Hz. I can show you some measurements if you like.
I thought it probably would. It seems like a filter at 20 Hz would be sufficient for most purposes. I would like to see a few measurements if you have them readily avalable. It might help some not worry as much about having a filter set lower than 20 Hz. Thanks.
mojave is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old 05-25-07, 07:37 AM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,018
Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Duplicating 20Hz filters on the BFD will give you boost down to around 10Hz.

With my 4 x 15" IB I seem to get a true boost in output to match a single boost setting of the filter pair.

This duplication (or ganging if you prefer) is more than twice as powerful than using a +16dB filter at 20Hz so be very careful with high listening levels. You won't hear anything until your toasted driver cone flops onto the floor!

I am using 2 identical filters @ 20Hz +8dB 120/60 BFD filters instead of a single +16dB @ 20 Hz. So I get an 8dB boost at the bottom end. (Thanks to ThomasW of the IB Cult for this clever idea)

Be very careful indeed with 20Hz boost filters! Most subs probably can't handle much. I increased my duplicate filters 1dB at a time testing continuously for cone excursion right down to 6Hz with REW. Just to ensure I wouldn't blow my drivers apart.

Be warned: It is not just a matter of whacking in a double 20Hz boost filter then trying WOTW at reference level!

I have just been trying sinewaves at fairly high SPLs down to 6Hz to see if there was any real benefit.

I can assure you that such low frequencies are completely silent even if you can feel the pressure in the room as you read 100dB(C) on your Galaxy 140 SPL meter. These very low frequencies also made my hair vibrate as I approached the manifold. It felt like pulsing static.
Chrisbee is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
behringer , dcx2496 , good , ht

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome