Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 40 Old 04-25-07, 06:19 PM
doreytp
Inactive

Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

I can get a DCX for a steal is this better than a DSP1124 or a FBQ2496 ?
I have a DSP1124P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-25-07, 06:29 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: Is a Behringer DCX2496 any good for HT

Quote:
I can get a DCX for a steal is this better than a DSP1124 or a FBQ2496 ?
It's not in the same class as the other two. The DCX is a speaker crossover management system...

brucek
post #3 of 40 Old 04-25-07, 07:38 PM
doreytp
Inactive

dang, that's what I thought ....
thanks

But I may still get it for a P/A

post #4 of 40 Old 04-25-07, 08:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
It's not in the same class as the other two. The DCX is a speaker crossover management system...

brucek
You're right, it's way above those two. I believe many don't realize how versatile unit it is. The only thing where it stays behind those two is the minimum width of the filter, Q=10. Not a bad flaw though, one shouldn't use any sharper filters than that anyways.
post #5 of 40 Old 04-25-07, 09:10 PM
doreytp
Inactive

how many channels does have for a para. Eq, I cannot find anything in the manual, other than it is Para. Eq
post #6 of 40 Old 04-25-07, 10:14 PM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
You're right, it's way above those two. I believe many don't realize how versatile unit it is. The only thing where it stays behind those two is the minimum width of the filter, Q=10. Not a bad flaw though, one shouldn't use any sharper filters than that anyways.
Hi Ilkka, doreytp,

What are the benefits of the DCX2496 compared to the DEQ2496 compared to the BFD1124. I'm thinking of moving away from the 1124 as described here.

I also looked at the DCX2496. I like its low pass filter at a 24 dB per octave slope; I think the DEQ2496 shelf filters are at 12 dB, but I think you can add the GEQ to that.

I browsed the DCX manual, and I didn't find good information on the PEQ either. It almost looked like there's only one, but that doesn't quite make sense. For whatever reason, Acrobat didn't want to search nicely today; I couldn't "find" anything in the document, even words that I can see on the screen in front of me (I searched up as well down, and allowed it to "wrap" when I got back to the top of the page.

-- Otto
post #7 of 40 Old 04-26-07, 01:56 AM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

After a quick look at the specs of the DCX2496 it looks like a very interesting piece of gear. I've just downloaded all the user manuals for all the behringer eqs and crossovers, its a stack about 2 inches thick, looks like I've got some reading to do.

I haven't bought a new piece of gear for about six months, I'm long overdue for a new toy.

Hakka.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-26-07, 05:51 AM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

I've read some of the DCX2496 manual and it keeps mentioning a 'dynamic eq', can someone tell me what this is and how is it different to the parametric eq?

I've been planning to go to an active biamp setup for a while now and I'm gonna buy the DCX in the next few weeks. I still need to get some more amps and either mod my speakers or build new ones, so the active setup is not happening anytime soon. In the meantime I might use this as an eq for my mains, there are some nasty bass humps I can't get rid of, how effective would the unit be in this application?

Hakka.
post #9 of 40 Old 04-26-07, 07:25 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Quote:
Hakka wrote: View Post
I've read some of the DCX2496 manual and it keeps mentioning a 'dynamic eq', can someone tell me what this is and how is it different to the parametric eq?
The dynamic EQ can apply a varying curve based on input levels. Somewhat like a variable loudness control. For example, you could set it up to boost the low range little when you are listening quietly, but reduce the low range a little as things get louder, such that you have a "reasonable" level of bass at all listening levels.

Implementing it properly would require that we measure the frequency range of interest over a variety of levels, then determing how much gain or cut would be necessary at each level. I've not seen much discussion of this around here, but it would be a fun thing to start working on.

-- Otto
post #10 of 40 Old 04-26-07, 08:59 AM
doreytp
Inactive

I originally was looking to buy one for my P/A system, where I can take my signal feed and send it to this unit. It is buy all means as posted above a bass management system, with extra's. I like extra's, I wish the DSP1124 has a front like the DEQ2496 .

But it seems to have a lot of other goodies, but it mentions a PEQ , but nowhere can I find how many channels. Maybe one PEQ per channel I know it takes a left right channel and you can set X_Overs for Bass, Mid and Highs. Then send the three channels to the individual speakers. Which is awsome, but I wouldn't really want to send it back to my highs and mids, as I think you would get to mush noise.