Review: Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric Equalizer - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 03-17-14, 09:45 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Review: Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric Equalizer

Subscribing now so I can take some time and read this later - almost bed time here.

Thanks for writing this all up Wayne - I have two of these that I am using (based on Tony's suggestion) and they have been working great for me so far!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 04-17-14, 08:26 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Great review there Wayne (ok, I'll admit I speed skimmed and looked mainly at the pictures).
You got rid of the VCR!!
And is that a Chase RLC I see? Wow, still have mine, though not incorporated in system. It almost drove me off the deep end....until I read the Phillips data sheet. (I originally bought as a remote volume control, unaware of the variable loudness feature).

cheers

AJ

post #13 of 26 Old 04-17-14, 09:41 AM
Shackster

Zoran

My System

Thanks for a very interesting reading Wayne.

post #14 of 26 Old 04-17-14, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
You got rid of the VCR!!
LOL, Trying to remember why we still had it in the system in 2007, since we had the DirecTV TIVO DVR. I think we had our OTA TV antenna (a big one located in the attic) connected to it as a backup in case the DirecTV went down, and maybe for our daughter to watch video tapes. It was one fine machine, a flagship JVC HR-S7500 Super VHS.

Quote:
And is that a Chase RLC I see? Wow, still have mine, though not incorporated in system. It almost drove me off the deep end....until I read the Phillips data sheet. (I originally bought as a remote volume control, unaware of the variable loudness feature).
Yup, a Chase RLC-1. I use it for remote volume control for the subs. Not aware of the variable loudness feature – what is it?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #15 of 26 Old 04-17-14, 08:54 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Yup, a Chase RLC-1. I use it for remote volume control for the subs. Not aware of the variable loudness feature – what is it?

Regards,
Wayne
Ahh, the first part may explain the second part. Subs crossed <100hz I assume?
Page 5 and 21
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TEA6320.pdf
Run it full range and you'll notice rather quickly.

cheers

AJ

post #16 of 26 Old 07-05-14, 10:03 AM

Dear M. Pflughaupt,

Thanks for your work and generosity.

I have one of these that I got on your recommendation. I have been very happy with it. Since it was bought used I did not expect it to operate perfectly and was not disappointed when I discovered the controls for frequency, gain and Q do not operate as they should. It takes some time to get them to settle on the value you want. I am not using it for much more than a subwoofer crossover though I have experimented with getting it to give me a boost in the lowest frequencies per your instructions.

All was going well enough and then all of a sudden this strange thing started happening. I would play about two records with all seeming to be fine and then when I would place the stylus on the record I will get this sound that sounds like acoustic feedback through the turntable or a sudden case of severe rumble but since it was playing just fine moments before it does seem like my old, used unit has problems.

Just wondering if you have experienced either of these events? Does your units controls act as one would think they should? I am going to get another one since the thing is better than any crossover I have ever used. Not to pretend that has been an exhaustive appraisal! But there is nothing out there I would want to use other than a DEQX which is out of reach.

Thanks and take care,
post #17 of 26 Old 07-05-14, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

Hey Wade,

Can’t say that I’ve ever seen or heard of that problem. I’d suggest, next time it happens switch immediately to a different signal source – CD, steaming music, etc. If the problem goes away, then it’s not the equalizer. Alternately, if you’re using it as a stereo equalizer you could bypass one channel – i.e. wire directly to whatever you have downstream after the equalizer. If you still get the problem in both channels, then it’s not being caused by the equalizer.

BTW, if you do get another one on ebay, they are good about arranging for returns of defective purchases. I wouldn’t accept another one with encoder knob issues, especially if the seller doesn’t disclose this problem.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #18 of 26 Old 07-06-14, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your advice.

I should have complained about my nervous controls long before now. I have had this one for over six months and thought it was just a downside of used gear.

I will certainly not keep another one with the same problem.

I am an LP only fellow at the moment so no other source to switch to. This does leave me in the dark, I know.

I have a feeling (hope?) that the controls strangeness might be part of the problem, just took some time to manifest itself? Will know soon enough.

THANKS, again,
post #19 of 26 Old 07-09-14, 04:11 PM

Have another one of these on the way.

Should take care of my problem.

Do you know of anyone who works on these things? I would like to be able to get the first one fixed.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-09-14, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

I’m confident that the cost of a repair would be more than the price of a replacement.

Regards,
Wayne

|