Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Electronic Processing/Equalization Devices (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/electronic-processing-equalization-devices/)
-   -   Xilica 4080 (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/electronic-processing-equalization-devices/169010-xilica-4080-a.html)

Jay Compton 05-13-17 10:59 AM

Xilica 4080

I have one of these on the way, I am gonna try bi amping my speakers with an active xover. Anyone here use one of these?

DqMcClain 05-13-17 05:46 PM

Re: Xilica 4080

No direct experience with Xilica products, but just breezing through the literature on their website this unit seems like pretty massive overkill for bi-amping... how many speakers are you attempting to bi-amp?

My guess is that it will work just fine, provided the UI isn't too difficult to deal with. You'll have a thoroughly ludicrous amount of control over each driver and, if it works even half as well as advertised, you should be able to squeeze every last drop of performance available out of your speakers. After you receive it and you've got it all set up, definitely come back and give us your impressions.

Jay Compton 05-13-17 08:38 PM

I will do that, a few of my friends are using them and say it's the cat's meow!!!

ellisr63 05-15-17 02:13 AM

I had the 3060 and it was a great unit...the only thing I didn't like is the instructions, and tree structure are a learning curve.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Jay Compton 05-16-17 06:03 AM

I looked at it last night seems it can be a little daunting but, like anything else you learn as you use it...

jtalden 05-17-17 06:59 AM

Jay,
Given the proper measurements, I can help you establish or confirm the XO settings and the driver delays needed to provide close phase tracking through the XO range. My approach uses IIR (minimum phase) XO filters.
Would you like me to detail the needed measurements?

Jay Compton 05-17-17 10:53 AM

Quote:

jtalden wrote: (Post 1579170)
Jay,
Given the proper measurements, I can help you establish or confirm the XO settings and the driver delays needed to provide close phase tracking through the XO range. My approach uses IIR (minimum phase) XO filters.
Would you like me to detail the needed measurements?

Hi John,
Yes please give me the first details needed.

jtalden 05-17-17 05:16 PM

jay,
Per your interest in an optimized design, first let's first investigate the best XO frequency and slopes to achieve an LR-24 acoustic XO. If you have advice on what filter settings to use from other sources we can start with those. Lacking that, I would suggest we investigate a little ourselves. We can skip this preliminary investigation if you care to.

Setup 4080:
> Set XO filters to target value (450 Hz?). [We'll use the value of the passive XO design initially.]
> Set HPF (horn) to LR-12/450 and LPF (woofer) to LR-24/450. [initial guess of the filter slopes needed to approach an LR-24 acoustical XO.]
> If you have already set relative driver SPL levels and PEQ settings for the Khorns it is good to leave those settings active.

Setup REW:
> Neither Loopback Timing nor Acoustical Timing is needed for this analysis.
> Set sweep range 20-20k Hz

Procedure:
> Chose the speaker to measure, right or left.
> Place mic about 1.5 m from the baffle, ~36" above the floor and located on the listening axis (line-of-sight from LP to the mid horn. [This will be roughly 15° off of the speaker's central axis as the speaker is toed-in ~45° and the LP is only toed-in roughly 30°. It's fine to use the speaker axis instead because the impact of this is probably trivial.]
> Measure the woofer response alone.
> Measure the mid-horn/HF horn alone.

Post the mdat of the 2 measurements here. We will be looking to see if the chosen XO filter settings results in driver responses that approach LR-24 filter shapes. We may want to change the filter settings to improve the result if needed.

After we determine the filter settings we can then proceed to set the delay needed.

fschris 05-18-17 05:53 AM

Quote:

Jay Compton wrote: (Post 1578586)
I have one of these on the way, I am gonna try bi amping my speakers with an active xover. Anyone here use one of these?

i have a friend using these and his system sounds insane good.

Jay Compton 05-18-17 06:20 AM

As I understand it the sound is amazing using one of these, well I will know soon enough...