Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Electronic Processing/Equalization Devices (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/electronic-processing-equalization-devices/)
-   -   Revised Firmware V1.4 for the DSP1124P with V1.3 ONLY! (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/electronic-processing-equalization-devices/2769-revised-firmware-v1-4-dsp1124p-v1-3-only.html)

Sonnie 12-18-06 02:48 PM

Revised Firmware V1.4 for the DSP1124P with V1.3 ONLY!

Below is a link to the revised firmware v1.4 for the 1124p... hopefully this will fix the issue with the MIDI not working discussed in this thread. This has been provided to us via Behringer support.

If someone has a unit they can test it with and report back, we will be most thankful.

Revised Firmware V1.4 for the DSP1124P - Download

EDIT and UPDATE (January 2014): We are not aware of any other firmware versions for the 1124p. It is a discontinued model, so there will likely never be any other updates. This update was specific to fix the MIDI issue. Continued firmware updates for this model should not be expected.

Snookboy 12-18-06 02:56 PM

Re: Revised Firmware V1.4 for the DSP1124P

Great! I'll try it this week.

JohnM 12-18-06 03:23 PM

How does the firmware get updated? Download just has a couple of .bin files.

brucek 12-18-06 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

How does the firmware get updated? Download just has a couple of .bin files.
Those are firmware binary files to be used for someone to flash a new eprom. Looks like they supplied the 256K and 512K version depending on the chip size you use.

Presently in the 1124P (mine anyway) is a standard type 27C512 (64x8 KB) OTP eprom (not to be confused with its brother which would be a UV eprom, that is eraseable).

This means the OTP (one time programming) chip has to be removed and thrown away and a new blank purchased and flashed with the supplied binary files. You need a eprom flasher to do so along with the blank chip.

Note that Behringer loves to put hard glue on their parts and it would be a bit of careful messing around to tease that chip out. See my attached photo.

Anyway, you need a blank 27C512 and a eprom flash programmer with the module that accepts a 27C512 eprom.

Attachment 1575

brucek

Sonnie 12-18-06 05:11 PM

Gee... seems like they would offer a way of doing this easier... I'll at least ask if we are missing something.

Sonnie 12-18-06 05:19 PM

Here are the instructions for the DEQ2496...

Quote:

This is done via MIDI and you will need a software package which can transfer Sys Ex files. (also ensure that the drivers for the MIDI device are installed correctly).

Load DEQ2496_V.13 Sys Ex file onto PC.
(eg.- after download, save zip file to desktop - extract to desktop)
connect the DEQ2496 "MIDI in" to the PC interface "MIDI out".
Select "utilitites" menu in DEQ2496 and go to page 2.
Turn everything off except "receive Sys Ex dump"

Open you MIDI sequencer software (or a MIDI tool like MIDI Ox) and select activity "send Sys Ex file" - you should be presented with some form of browser window to locate the correct sys ex file.

Hit "OK" to confirm.
The DEQ2496 display will show "overwriting block xy / "
and a file transfer progress window is displayed by the pc.

After a while.................the update is complete.

To initiate the new firmware restart the DEQ2496 (I performed a complete reset, but this shouldn't be necessary).

brucek 12-18-06 05:34 PM

Quote:

Here are the instructions for the DEQ2496.
Did you read my post above Sonnie (we may have cross-posted)? The 1124 has an OTP EPROM . I suspect the DEQ has a E2PROM which is electrically programmable.

brucek

Sonnie 12-18-06 08:59 PM

Well... yeah... I read it, but I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to the "OTP" part. I had my mind set on there being some easier way to upgrade it.

Behringer obviously assumes a lot in giving the firmware upgrade to us if we have swap out the chip to upgrade it.

Lucky7! 12-19-06 12:06 AM

Folks -

The ver1.4 firmware news sounds great! However, it won't be so simple for many out there.

The 27C512 eprom are nearly obsolete components. It looks like DigiKey is selling them at minimum buys of qty 15 for 0.75 each (plus shipping and tax and minimum $25 order charges). Probably best to find them elsewhere. In addition, folks will have to get access to a 'prom burner.

Plan A: Behringer is honorable and mails us eproms Pronto.

Plan B: We contact Uli Behringer and ask him what's up with his company's reputation. (should we also ask for FBQ2496's as replacements???)

Plan C: One of us purchases the quantity needed, burns them all at once, and sells them to folks here via PayPal. Meanwhile, we inform all the music stores selling these units that they have defective products...(well, Behringer has gotta pay for this mess somehow!)

Note: I'm still at the pre-plan "A" stage with Behringer customer support. They seem to think that using the DSP1124P in PA-only mode for equalization is a "not-intended use" scenario; as in they are edging towards saying "we don't support such uses". I don't think it really matters if I want to use it as a book-end or a door-mat. If it doesn't perform to spec, then it is defective. End of story. I really wonder what Uli B. would do if he really knew what his employees were doing do all his hard work. Honestly, every Behringer product I've seen is incredible well made, solid, and amazingly priced for that quality. Hopefully it was only a momentary lapse in quality that let the ver1.3 firmware out the door without so much as a simple three byte MIDI command test.

-Cheers

Sonnie 12-19-06 09:00 AM

That part probably only cost Behringer ten cents. However, something tells me they ain't gonna do any more than they have.

Plan C sounds like the answer for those willing to open up their units and do a little surgery. I don't think we would have a problem with someone doing this and offering it via the Shack.