SquareTrade Warranty - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-11, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

SquareTrade Warranty

I'm not sure if any of you buy squaretrade warrantys on things but the discount code ff30 gives people 30 dollars off a warranty that cost 30 dollars or more. I'm not sure how much longer the code will work but it works right now. They are good with their warranties. I had them refund me for what I paid for something before. They also gave me back the money for the warranty.

I beleave ff30 is friends and family discount of 30 dollars.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

Last edited by Jason1976; 02-18-11 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-11, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: squaretrade warranty

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Thanks Jason!
Your welcome. I'm just not sure how much longer the code will work.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-11, 02:38 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Thread moved to the Extended Warranties forum to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find.

Do you have any more info on the company, Jason?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-11, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Thread moved to the Extended Warranties forum to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find.

Do you have any more info on the company, Jason?
They offer all kinds of warranties. There is info online people can look up. I was just sharing the discount code that saves 30 dollars off a warranty. Normally you can find some kind of discount code by doing a web search for squaretrade and discount code. Normally the ones I see are for like 20 or 30 % off a warranty and not a flat 30 dollars off. I think there are some of those 20 to 30% off codes still out there that work. It depends on the cost of an item to how much a warranty cost.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-04-11, 07:10 PM
Shackster
Tony

I bought a Squaretrade warranty when I purchased a TV from Vann's in late 2009. The pricing is reasonable and the research I did at the time was favorable toward Squaretrade.

I have not had to use the warranty but I did have a problem with the TV during the Samsung warranty period and ended up getting a newer model replacement TV. One call to Squaretrade to give them the new model number and serial number of the TV and they switched the remainder of the extended warranty to the new TV with no hassle.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-14-11, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: SquareTrade Warranty

I purchased a 3-year SquareTrade Warranty for $23.99 when I picked up a car amp a few years back. It was October 2008 and the warranty just expired this past October. However, just before it expired, the amp I purchased went out, so I was able to file a claim. The process was about as painless as it gets. AAMP of America (Phoenix Gold) has a standard price for repairing the amp. The cost is $185 + shipping to them. SquareTrade promptly paid me via PayPal the full amount as soon as I faxed them a copy of the UPS shipping receipt.

I have been shopping for a 65" plasma display warranty, but learned that SquareTrade does not offer "in-home" service on plasmas, so I was disappointed to say the least. EDIT: I have been corrected by SquareTrade... they do offer in home service on sets 37". The former information I viewed was either old or incorrect information. Looks like they might have the best warranty at the best price from what I can tell.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-11, 04:16 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

When buying any warranty, in-home service is only as good as the local service provider. Many companies use low skilled help or do not have any local servicers and rely either on finding a contractor when needed or on third party administrators. I strongly suggest finding the servicers in your area that administer the warranty and ask them what kind of relationship they have with the company. The general opinion of Square Trade among the servicers I know is not very good. You may get service, but it likely will not be as timely and professional as you expect.

That said, the situation is not much better with most warranties these days. Even the more reputable companies like Mack and Warrantech have issues with local servicers. If you have a local shop that is of high quality, find out which warranties they support and consider those more highly.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-16-11, 04:22 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I think this is one thing I somewhat like about SquareTrade... they will actually give you permission to find your own tech, pay the tech yourself and get reimbursement. Some folks don't like that idea, especially if it gets on up in costs, but I don't really mind it. SquareTrade does not seem to be so concerned about the claim incident as they are the claim amount. The max they pay over the life of the warranty is the cost of the set, which is what I found the limit to be for most of the warranties I looked at anyway.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-14, 11:26 PM

Great information. Despite all their benefits, extended warranties are usually not worth the cost. The profit margin on a standard consumer electronics extended warranty is between 40 and 80 percent. All things considered, extended warranties are expensive and carry a very high markup and profit margin for retailers. Financial advisers often say you should whatever money you may have spent on an extended warranty into a savings account that you use to pay for repairs if they are needed.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-25-14, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jason

Quote:
shielamaeB wrote: View Post
Great information. Despite all their benefits, extended warranties are usually not worth the cost. The profit margin on a standard consumer electronics extended warranty is between 40 and 80 percent. All things considered, extended warranties are expensive and carry a very high markup and profit margin for retailers. Financial advisers often say you should whatever money you may have spent on an extended warranty into a savings account that you use to pay for repairs if they are needed.

My mom bought a laser color printer. Samsung. I looked up the reviews online and there were lots of negative reviews about issues. When I saw the review I told her to buy the square trade warranty. She ended up having to use the warranty. They refunded her back what she paid for the printer and the cost of the warranty when it stopped. They didn't want her to ship it back. Told her to throw it away or donate it. because of the weight of the printer it wasn't worth for them to pay to ship it.

After she had her money back. I looked up the error code she had and was able to find a fix online to repair it. It needed a spring replaced. I replaced the spring and she is still using the printer. So she ended up getting a free printer because she bought the warranty. Now if I buy anything that has a lot of bad reviews I buy a warranty.