Warranty and Problems When Ordered on Internet - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 10-01-11, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
informel

My System
Warranty and Problems When Ordered on Internet

Internet is the best place to shop for good price, but the cheapest price is not always the best price.

Here is the experience I had.

I found a very good price on internet for a Velodyne DD-15. But before I bought, I did some research, they have a real store (brick and mortar), they also sell on internet and had very good feedback.

So I bought it, then the girl tell me it's 300$ for shipping , of course the thing is heavy, it comes from USA and I live in Canada, so it's OK, still cheaper than buying here.

Then what is the problem?
The problem is: the seller is not authorise, so the warranty does not come from Velodyne, but I do get a warranty from the store, then it should be OK, right?

No it's not, my sub started to develop a problem after 2 years, the warranty from the store is 1 year, the one from Velodyne is 3 years on electronic, 5 years on the driver.

So I guess there goes my saving.

This is for my personal experience, I would like to hear from others and advise to avoid that.

from my experience, I now have those advise
.If you buy from internet check how long he has been in business
.Check how good is his feedback
.check to see if he is authorise (my mistake)
. When you are at the checkout, make sure the site is secure (address start with https:, not http)

Of course we know that it is safe to buy from sponsers here, bad word of mouth spread very fast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-11, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
informel

My System
Re: warranty and problem when ordered from internet

Oh yes, oh yes
While playing with the calibaration on the sub, the sub did couple of bad sounds, then came back OK, so it looks like it is only something loose inside or a bad solder, this is something I can fix
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-11, 04:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
.check to see if he is authorized
Always remeber that even if they are authorized in the U.S. doesn't mean they are authorized in Canada. If they aren't authorized in Canada then there is no factory warranty.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-12, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
informel

My System

Quote:
informel wrote: View Post
Oh yes, oh yes
While playing with the calibaration on the sub, the sub did couple of bad sounds, then came back OK, so it looks like it is only something loose inside or a bad solder, this is something I can fix
here is a follow up
the problem became solid, I could not find the schematic on the internet (first time it happen to me).
So I had no choice, but to bring it to the only authorise repair center in Quebec, Canada.

After 3 weeks or so they call me saying that the tech could not repair the board and they have to replace the electronic , they told me it would cost 570$, I was not happy, but I said OK, I started to loose confidence in their ability to fix my Velo, so I wrote to Velo and asked them if it was normal that he could not fix the problem, they reply that now most repair center simply replace the whole thing, huuummm, why do you need a tech then., the repair center phone me back couple days later saying that Velodyne did a mistake and quoted for a different board and they now wanted 200$ more! . what can I do, I cannot scrap the thing, so I said yes again.

After a week and a half, I phone them and they said that they receiced the board and I should have it soon, phone them 3 days later (I long does it take to swap a board) and they said it would be ready the next day.

I have it at home right now and tested it to make sure it is good.

So if you want to by over the internet from unauthorise seller, beware, it is a gamble, you could win or you could loose.

If I had found HomeTheaterShack before, I would not have bought it (don't get me wrongt, I really love the sound my Velodyne DD-15), I would have build something myself with an external amp.