Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

13Likes

post #21 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 08:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

Quote:
CricketVS wrote: View Post
The forced password change for now is to insure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.
In the hope that there will be no reason to make the annual changes in the future, I've decided to go along.
robbo266317 and CricketVS like this.

Kal Rubinson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 09:02 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Hang in there everyone...and hopefully this is a one-time reset.
tonyvdb likes this.
post #23 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Just be sure that all the password you have here is not the same password/email you here. In general, it's good practice to make sure your important accounts don't share the same passwords as the other stuff.

Lee

If you need Admin support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 01:15 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
Participating in a home theater forum should not require password resets or expirations.
While I have enjoyed my time here when my password expires that's it for me.
I want all the great members here to know how much I have enjoyed participating in this forum with you.
Many thanks to each and every one of you.
Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I just got the email notifying me of my password reset at AVS. I feel the same way as Charlie. I am done with both forums if I have to deal with password resets. It is nonsense to require this of users. Staff, who may have access to administrative areas is another matter, but for public users it is silly.

I am also very disappointed that we were not notified that the forums may have been compromised and not given any real information about potential threats.

I am sorry to say that after 10 years here, and longer at AVS, I will not be back at either if a password reset is required.

Adios.
Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
Yup. I will be gone, too. This has been fun.
Really? You guys are going to leave both forums over a password change? I just fixed it by changing to a password that I like and that complies with policy (and standard good practice) on both forums, and it took all of one minute each. I'm not usually so forward, but I'm calling you guys out on this. There must be other reasons, because that is just ridiculously petty otherwise.

I do think that VS could and should be more forthcoming about threats they see. And if any company is aware of a compromise from outside, users ought to be notified immediately and know what steps to take. This habit of trying to reveal as little as possible is frustrating (and is a widespread practice -- don't know why companies feel they must stay hush hush about these things). But getting hacked and being less that 100% forthcoming is not exactly unique to VS. If you're worried about getting hacked, you'd better get off the internet and off the grid, turn in your credit cards, close your bank accounts, and revert to 19th century living.

I hate to see good, active forum members leave.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 03:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I just received my email notification for the reset. That password must have come from the CIA encryption department.
CricketVS likes this.
post #26 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
I just received my email notification for the reset. That password must have come from the CIA encryption department.
Once you are logged back in you can change it to something that is easier for you to remember.

A good piece of advice, to help in remembering the more complex password, is to do a phrase instead of just randomly adding in the extra requirements.

Example:

BoiledCabbageis#1!

That will stick in your in your mind better.
post #27 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 03:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
CricketVS wrote: View Post
Once you are logged back in you can change it to something that is easier for you to remember. A good piece of advice, to help in remembering the more complex password, is to do a phrase instead of just randomly adding in the extra requirements. Example: BoiledCabbageis#1! That will stick in your in your mind better.
I know I can change it. I was poking fun at the complexity of it. It's more secure than my banking password for sure!
CricketVS likes this.
post #28 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 04:21 PM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I agree... I hope everyone weathers this storm and returns
post #29 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 04:51 PM
Shackster

I just barely became a member and you're turning me away with this.

I will just leave this here...

post #30 of 53 Old 06-17-16, 04:54 PM
Shackster

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Really? You guys are going to leave both forums over a password change? I just fixed it by changing to a password that I like and that complies with policy (and standard good practice) on both forums, and it took all of one minute each. I'm not usually so forward, but I'm calling you guys out on this. There must be other reasons, because that is just ridiculously petty otherwise.

I do think that VS could and should be more forthcoming about threats they see. And if any company is aware of a compromise from outside, users ought to be notified immediately and know what steps to take. This habit of trying to reveal as little as possible is frustrating (and is a widespread practice -- don't know why companies feel they must stay hush hush about these things). But getting hacked and being less that 100% forthcoming is not exactly unique to VS. If you're worried about getting hacked, you'd better get off the internet and off the grid, turn in your credit cards, close your bank accounts, and revert to 19th century living.

1. Yes I can totally see people leaving over this. It is annoying and unnecessary. Why should I have to have a password manager just to use a forum?

2. complex password requirements like the one in place are not good practice; in fact they are poor practice. See the comic in my post above.