Unwanted Advertising - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Unwanted Advertising

Whenever I try to go to a thread, after the JS errors described in the previous post, I get another page I assume from one of your advertisers. It never goes away, and when I click the back button sometimes it takes me to the thread sometimes it brings up another vendors page.

Is this intentional? If so, please do not worry about the JS error in the previous post, as I will not be back.

If this is a bug, please fix it, as it makes your site unusable for me.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 11:51 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

re: Unwanted Advertising

I'm afraid I don't see what you're referring too.

I don't get any advertising or re-direction popups, as we don't use those here.

I also get no JS errors, and haven't in the many years that I've been here with over 5000 posts. We've had no other complaints about JS errors..

You will note that your thread title did trip our swearing sensor and substituted a moo... swearing is against the rules here...

brucek
post #3 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 11:52 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

If you could be specific regarding the page that you get, perhaps we could help sort it out. Obviously, we do not intend to redirect users to advertising when trying to access a thread. There will be ads in the forum, but this is not the primary content.

What page are you getting, and what thread are you trying to access, and where are you trying to access it from?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Re: Unwanted advertising, moo baby moo?

The problem seems to have gone away. What it would seem to do is bring me to the page that you would normally get if you clicked one of your banner ads.

Perhaps it was related to the JS error, maybe when I was clicking on one of the may the "No" buttons I clicked through to the banner ad.

I sent a message to [email protected] with screenshot attachments. hopefully someone there will get them.

Paul
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Re: Unwanted advertising, moo baby moo?

Yes I am absolutely sure that the problem of advertising is me clicking "no" 26 times instead of 25 times. It just so happens that the "A Runtime Error has occurred ... Object expected" dialog box is directly over the banner ad on my monitor, and that 26th click is on the banner ad.

When I clicked "back" from the banner ad site, I would then need to click "no" 25 more times and if I clicked 26, I would get the next banner ad. If there were only 10 messages on a page, clicking 11 times instead of 10 would yield the same result.

Paul
post #6 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 01:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I am not sure why it would have mysteriously gone away... I have not done a thing yet because I can not determine what script is causing the problem. Most of the script we have is vBulletin code and there is absolutely nothing we can do about that. Every vBulletin site has that same code. We are at their mercy in that case. If it is some script we have added, then we can certainly look into it. I will just have to research it further.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 04:58 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: Unwanted Advertising

You have to wait until the page is fully done loading before clicking on the page. The mouse clicking is still enabled while the page is loading, but where the mouse points is not displayed in accodince with what is displayed on screen until the script is done. This will vary dependent on size of the add and which forum is being viewed. Does this sound like the problem you are experiencing?
post #8 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

The problem was that I was getting a large number of Javascript errors (mentioned in another post), to which I needed to click "No" on each one. If I clicked one too many times it would click on the banner ad underneath it.

Sonnie identified the underlying JS error and corrected it, so now I have no more problems.

Paul
post #9 of 14 Old 01-18-09, 05:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah... for some odd reason, we had a duplicate line of script in that template that appears like it was not really needed. I removed the duplicate line and could see no adverse effects or that we are missing anything, which in turn caused the errors to go away. Maybe because it was trying to run the script twice it gave the error, not sure how all that works, but it does appear to be fixed now. Ultimately it didn't have anything to do with the ads, thankfully.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-11-09, 11:08 PM

Hi Sonnie,

I just don't know where to go for this, but now that I'm here, I'll shoot.
Will it be possible to not receive personal e-mail, each time that I reply
in a thread, or to a new member for welcoming him, or to a simple suggestion
in a regular thread? My personal E-mail box is deluged with e-mails!

I love using this forum to communicate with other people ideas, but will love
to stick on the threads themselve. I do come back where I post, on a regular
basis, to check on replies.

I will very much appreciate. You can e-mail me, "for this one" reply, if you want.
It will actually be better, because I'll have a rough time remembering where to come back.

Have a great day, Bob

Last edited by Lordoftherings; 02-11-09 at 11:14 PM. Reason: add up