Pictures - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #1 of 19 Old 03-26-14, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Pictures

Gotta say ..... the picture uploading system here is horrible compared to to other forums (and I don't mean other HT forums all though there are some of those too) where you can select multiple pictures to upload at once, vs. here where you must upload one at a time .

Also, the photo gallery and regular photo upload system both have size limitations.

There is no auto rotate to get the correct orientation.

Makes it real time consuming to detail builds and how to write ups. Too time consuming for me.

Here's to hoping that changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-27-14, 10:52 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Pictures

If you have some suggestions of software or can point to a forum with different software, we will be happy to look at it. We use the standard attachment uploading system that comes with vBulletin and have very liberal size limitations, so if you are getting errors on size, then you are likely using HUGE files which simply are not needed or wanted on the Internet... no one likes having to wait for large photos to load on a page.

Our additional FREE image gallery is pretty nice... I use it all the time. We have several places on instructions for its use. It is really nice to be able to click on MY PHOTOS button and click on the thumbnail to add it to your post. Like below.... then click on them to expand them.

You can upload 12 images at a time in the gallery... and again, fairly liberal size limitations.

Rarely do I see image editing software in forums, although there might be an exception or two here and there. You can use Lightshot for Desktop for easy on screen editing.

If you take pictures the right way there is no reason to have to rotate them. There are also several free image editing software programs available.

Having said all this... we do also realize we can't please everyone... never will be able to do that. Someone is always going to complain, no matter how hard we work and no matter how hard we strive to continue to maintain free information and content for our members and readers.

But hey... it is what it is... right!
post #3 of 19 Old 03-27-14, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
If you have some suggestions of software or can point to a forum with different software, we will be happy to look at it. We use the standard attachment uploading system that comes with vBulletin and have very liberal size limitations, so if you are getting errors on size, then you are likely using HUGE files which simply are not needed or wanted on the Internet... no one likes having to wait for large photos to load on a page.

Our additional FREE image gallery is pretty nice... I use it all the time. We have several places on instructions for its use. It is really nice to be able to click on MY PHOTOS button and click on the thumbnail to add it to your post. Like below.... then click on them to expand them.

You can upload 12 images at a time in the gallery... and again, fairly liberal size limitations.

Rarely do I see image editing software in forums, although there might be an exception or two here and there. You can use Lightshot for Desktop for easy on screen editing.

If you take pictures the right way there is no reason to have to rotate them. There are also several free image editing software programs available.

Having said all this... we do also realize we can't please everyone... never will be able to do that. Someone is always going to complain, no matter how hard we work and no matter how hard we strive to continue to maintain free information and content for our members and readers.

But hey... it is what it is... right!

Hi Sonnie-

I'm wondering if maybe you don't have a couple of options enabled on the back end.

Typically even the older versions of vBulletin will auto re-size images to the admin specified size. They will also auto rotate.

Some of the newest versions have features similar to the 'my photos' gallery you mention above. FYI I did try that (even followed your step by step ) but the rotational issues still exist.

I use an iPhone to take pictures. Sometimes I use landscape, sometimes I use portrait. The last thing I would typically do is take a photo in an orientation so it will be optimized for a forum.

I'm happy to help where I can. Let me know if I can.

Here's some sites (you asked) that have similar photo upload procedures (but auto rotate and re-size) and some more advanced ones that have some cool photo uploading features. They even auto add new posts if you're sitting idle on a screen!

Www.greenhulk.net
www.pwctoday.com
www.snowboardingforum.com
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/

I haven't had auto rotate and size problems since I can't remember.

Thanks for addressing the concern as fast as you did.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-27-14, 09:16 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

We have auto resizing of images enabled if you post an image with the [img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/ tags from a URL and it is larger than a certain size. That is adjustable in your UserCP.

We use the same photo gallery as SnowBoarding forum and have the same settings as they do, but again, there has never been any rotating feature with it. It does resize and we use that too, but once again, if the image exceeds what we are willing to host on our server, which yet again is very liberal, we will not allow it to be uploaded. Most of our members understand this and have no issues with it... there is no need to snap high resolution shots for web pics... especially with a phone. It is very easy to save it at a lower resolution if you plan to use it on the web.

There never has been a image rotating feature in any version of vBulletin that I am aware of .... or that vBulletin has shared with anyone. I searched vBulletin.com for image rotation... there is no such feature... here is a recent thread asking about it. I searched vBulletin.org for a modification or add-on, but there is none. Here is a thread as recent as December 2013 asking for it with no success. If it were available, I don't think they would be asking for it. So I am not sure what these other forums are doing ... maybe it is magic. If you wanna ask them what they are doing, I will be happy to look into it further. If it is something simple, I have no issue adding it... if it is complicated and cost money, it won't happen, as you are the first to ever ask about it. We have been around for almost eight years and have thousands of threads with images and never had any complaints... until yesterday.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-27-14, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
We have auto resizing of images enabled if you post an image with the [img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/ tags from a URL and it is larger than a certain size. That is adjustable in your UserCP.

We use the same photo gallery as SnowBoarding forum and have the same settings as they do, but again, there has never been any rotating feature with it. It does resize and we use that too, but once again, if the image exceeds what we are willing to host on our server, which yet again is very liberal, we will not allow it to be uploaded. Most of our members understand this and have no issues with it... there is no need to snap high resolution shots for web pics... especially with a phone. It is very easy to save it at a lower resolution if you plan to use it on the web.

There never has been a image rotating feature in any version of vBulletin that I am aware of .... or that vBulletin has shared with anyone. I searched vBulletin.com for image rotation... there is no such feature... here is a recent thread asking about it. I searched vBulletin.org for a modification or add-on, but there is none. Here is a thread as recent as December 2013 asking for it with no success. If it were available, I don't think they would be asking for it. So I am not sure what these other forums are doing ... maybe it is magic. If you wanna ask them what they are doing, I will be happy to look into it further. If it is something simple, I have no issue adding it... if it is complicated and cost money, it won't happen, as you are the first to ever ask about it. We have been around for almost eight years and have thousands of threads with images and never had any complaints... until yesterday.
Thanks for looking into it, Sonnie.

FWIW I've been on tons of forums for more than a decade (some I gave examples to) and I've never had any issues. The iPhone takes pictures, it doesn't allow for size choices. That's what I use. When I'm in the middle of a project I want to share with the community I'm lucky enough to grab my phone and snap some shots. Good right? You want content here right?

I don't take pictures for forums, I take pictures for the memory. Forums are second.

I have no clue why it's so cumbersome here. I do know there are vbulletins that rotate the picture, size it per spec, and display it as specd' by admin.

Whatever......... as you said in your first reply - it is what is.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-27-14, 11:42 PM
Shackster

My System
I don't know why I feel guilty, but I have to agree the photo upload process on this particular forum is a lil clunky.
The auto size feature is nice, and after very little experimentation I find it's way easier to upload photos from my phone then from my desktop.
But this is just not practical at all.
It does not entice me to want to even attempt a build thread of any sort if I have to spend countless hours resizing photos and have 2 versions of my photo albums just to share on this particular forum.
Please don't get me wrong, I love this place and I am aware the forum powers that be, would like folks to participate more. To me though this is a deterrent or bottleneck if you will.

Ps. Stay tuned for Medi0gre's Boom Boom Room.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #7 of 19 Old 03-28-14, 07:49 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer

I have to say that it was an effort to put pictures into the posts during my build. My wish would be that you could upload and image and the server automatically resize it for you and add it to the page. I have actually taken to putting the pictures on my own personal web server and using the add external image.

BUT, this is also a challenge in other forums as well.

I like how avsforum has it - you click add image and then you browse the image on your PC, it uploads and then you pick the resolution and boom - it is in the page where you want it. The forum software automatically reduces the resolution and the size.

I only take pictures with my nice camera that produces stupid huge resolutions with 7MB jpg file sizes. I do have software to reduce the resolution, but that is difficult - especially for the occasional picture you might want to put in. one needs to reduce the resolution and the size - can be difficult and often requires multiple tries to reduce. I do want the pictures for myself so unwilling to reduce my own personal resolution at the camera....

Agreed that you don't want 7MB jpeg all over the forum and agree with your file size limitations - just wish it was easier to get there and put images in the post.

-Brent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-28-14, 09:22 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Here are two pics I just uploaded from my iPhone. I rotated it in my phone before uploading.

Pictures-image-630526010.jpg

Pictures-image-1106652910.jpg

Extremely simple.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-28-14, 09:27 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

I would like to have the uploading feature of vBulletin version 4 or 5, but not at the risk of having to completely revamp our forum and cause a LOT more headaches for members.

As far as I can find... there is absolutely no feature for vBulletin to allow rotation of images. What I am finding is that it has everything to do with the settings in your phone, or your phone is having problems. I have found more complaints about images being automatically rotated than I have people wanting them to be rotated. Go figure.

We offer three ways to insert pics and all are pretty simple for the most part... not sure what else we can do. You can use them large or insert thumbnails with your choice. We have worked very hard to offer a LOT of flexibility with imaging... although we realize it may not be as simple as vBulletin version 4 or 5.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-28-14, 09:33 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

When you select the image from your computer using the browse button right click to rotate if needed, then click open to upload it.

Actually that only rotates it in the view of your local folder You would have to save it as rotated.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Closed Thread