Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Forum Help | Suggestions (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/)
-   -   New Site Look and Software Upgrade Feedback Thread (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/141769-new-site-look-software-upgrade-feedback-thread.html)

CricketVS 01-28-16 11:05 AM

New Site Look and Software Upgrade Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for HomeTheaterShack.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join HomeTheaterShack.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "HomeTheaterShack.com Classic".

4) Users will be able to register with Facebook

5) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

6) Another new great feature is the @ mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol. See instructions here.

7) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,

- Your HomeTheaterShack.com Team

CricketVS 01-28-16 02:47 PM

Re: New Site Look and Software Upgrade Feedback Thread

I am absolutely loving the new look! :grin2:

As you can guess, our team works super hard when they are doing this big of a site upgrade. We fully expect there to be some issues at first. When you come across bugs, please add them in this thread so we can work on correcting these issues in the coming days.

Thank you for your patience while we work through the fixes.

CricketVS 01-28-16 03:33 PM

Known issue. Thumbnails displaying as a link unless directly inserted into the post. The team is working on fixing this.

tonyvdb 01-28-16 04:10 PM

Looks good, I will have to get used to the more flat plain look that it has now. I kind of liked the raised look of the buttons and headers of the older forum topics.
Color choice is nice and the new HTS logo is slick! thanks for the hard work everyone :T

Prof. 01-28-16 04:37 PM

I like the look overall..but the lettering is a little too large for my liking..

EDIT.. Just noticed the "Posts Read" button is missing..

Todd Anderson 01-28-16 05:40 PM

60 Attachment(s)
I think the new look is great...I know we'll be working towards getting forum sections modernized and streamlined... hang in there, folks. This is a great step forward and a good way to kick off the new year! ;-)

Admin VS 01-28-16 06:54 PM

Quote:

Prof. wrote: (Post 1379050)
I like the look overall..but the lettering is a little too large for my liking..

Heya,

Try using the Control (-) or (+) buttons to adjust font.

Mark Forums Read: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...c8f1e64b05be00

Tools > Quicklinks > Mark Forums Read.

Jeff

Admin VS 01-28-16 06:57 PM

Quote:

Todd Anderson wrote: (Post 1379098)
I think the new look is great...I know we'll be working towards getting forum sections modernized and streamlined... hang in there, folks. This is a great step forward and a good way to kick off the new year! ;-)

Let us know how we can help. We can still tweak settings and @Cricket VS and I are here to answer any questions on how to use the new look.:wave:

Jeff M.

tcarcio 01-28-16 07:08 PM

It is going to take some getting used too but I think it looks good. :smile:

Kal Rubinson 01-28-16 08:19 PM

Quote:

Admin VS wrote: (Post 1379186)
Mark Forums Read: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...c8f1e64b05be00

Tools > Quicklinks > Mark Forums Read.

Jeff

Yeah. Everybody's doing this but, frankly, I use this function at every visit and am not happy that it takes 3 clicks.

robbo266317 01-28-16 10:51 PM

Quote:

Prof. wrote: (Post 1379050)

Hi Prof, Hold the CTRL key down and use your scroll wheel on your mouse until you get the letter size you want.

ceh383 01-29-16 12:04 AM

Yuck, I'll use the classic version. This may load a bit faster, but I'm in no hurry...

ceh383 01-29-16 12:12 AM

Quote:

Cricket VS wrote: (Post 1378585)
If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "HomeTheaterShack.com Classic".

Where? I don't see this option :frown:

jtl 01-29-16 05:42 AM

Fantastic look and feel.....alls good!

Talley 01-29-16 05:45 AM

YES. Classic it is.

Sorry guys, I'm a 15 year vbulletin user and just prefer the standard look.

Admin VS 01-29-16 10:03 AM

Quote:

ceh383 wrote: (Post 1379354)
Yuck, I'll use the classic version. This may load a bit faster, but I'm in no hurry...

Quote:

Talley wrote: (Post 1379394)
YES. Classic it is.

Sorry guys, I'm a 15 year vBulletin user and just prefer the standard look.

That's is why we leave the option for you guys to revert to the preferred look.

:wave:

Jeff

theJman 01-29-16 11:21 AM

For me things seem to be moving much faster now, so I'm sticking with this version.

willis7469 01-29-16 01:02 PM

I like this a lot. Much more straight forward. I like the cleaner interface. I don't want to sound like the kid who opens all his Christmas presents and then says, hey, where's my pony, but i wish the app would have gotten some love. Tapatalk is ok enough, but... O.K., that's all the nits i can pick for now. nice work guys.

Tonto 01-29-16 01:15 PM

Looks great so far guys, thanks for all the hard work.

Just an idea:
The hyperlink button. Can we make it with a drop down menu that features all of our sponsors? Right now I have to open another page, copy the link, then paste it into the "hyperlink" box. It would be great to just click on the drop down button & click on a sponsors link which would then automatically insert that link into our reply. If that makes sense! I bet our sponsors would love that feature as well!

Todd Anderson 01-29-16 01:24 PM

60 Attachment(s)
I still use the app to PM...but I believe support for it has been dropped. This new version of the website should be much more user friendly however...

AudiocRaver 01-30-16 09:57 AM

291 Attachment(s)
Drag and drop jpeg attachments! I almost cried when I saw that!

Todd Anderson 01-30-16 11:44 AM

60 Attachment(s)

Navydoc 01-30-16 12:36 PM

Please fix the enclosure calculator...I didn't realize how often I use it until its not available.

Overall, I like the updated version.

albe 01-31-16 10:25 AM

Looks much more streamline..AND it is much faster!
Great job to all who had a role!
:smile:

Medi0gre 01-31-16 10:58 AM

Quote:

AudiocRaver wrote: (Post 1380346)
Drag and drop jpeg attachments! I almost cried when I saw that!

The drag and drop feature is great but the way HTS handles photos is still sub par.
Folks still have to resize their photos in order to upload.
I myself and I am sure others will not maintain a separate photo library or go through the trouble of manually resizing photos just to post in the forum, its a hassle. People don't like hassle.

People love photos but are going to be deterred from posting them because of the process, I know i have been and have seen folks new to the forum comment on that very thing.

We have stuff to do! Like build theater rooms, interpret graphs and build subwoofers, not resize photos which should be done automatically by the forum software.
Please look into this it would be a asset to the forum greatly appreciated and far to long overlooked.

victory82 01-31-16 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
first time here .. looks good !

chauncy 01-31-16 10:41 PM

Definitely love the speed increase. There were times with the classic, I would think my PC had crashed (good old Windoze).

willis7469 01-31-16 11:28 PM

Quote:

Medi0gre wrote: (Post 1380858)
The drag and drop feature is great but the way HTS handles photos is still sub par.

I myself and I am sure others will not maintain a separate photo library or go through the trouble of manually resizing photos just to post in the forum, its a hassle. People don't like hassle.

People love photos but are going to be deterred from posting them because of the process, I know i have been and have seen folks new to the forum comment on that very thing.

We have stuff to do! Like build theater rooms, interpret graphs and build subwoofers, not resize photos which should be done automatically by the forum software.

Please look into this it would be a asset to the forum greatly appreciated and far to long overlooked.

Agreed. On a pc, posting pics is like slamming my head in a door. Funny thing is, on my iPhone(and an iPad I suspect), and probably android phones, it takes about 3 seconds. I love that. That's with the old app, and Tapatalk. Not sure about mobile web versions(like safari)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BD55 02-01-16 08:04 AM

So far I like the look and feel of the new design. So :T

Lumen 02-01-16 08:42 AM

Quote:

willis7469 wrote: (Post 1381394)
Agreed. On a pc, posting pics is like slamming my head in a door. Funny thing is, on my iPhone(and an iPad I suspect), and probably android phones, it takes about 3 seconds. I love that. That's with the old app, and Tapatalk. Not sure about mobile web versions(like safari)

Quote:

Medi0gre wrote: (Post 1380858)

+1 for auto-resizing... what a pain and deterrent!

Lumen 02-01-16 08:46 AM

What happened to the PM and PMQ buttons under the user Avatars? Without them, PM contact regarding specific posts is cumbersome at best. The sender is required to navigate away from the thread page to access the PM function. Can we please have these button back? The PMQ button is especially useful to moderators! :help:

theJman 02-01-16 08:52 AM

Quote:

Lumen wrote: (Post 1381602)
What happened to the PM and PMQ buttons under the user Avatars? Without them, PM contact regarding specific posts is cumbersome at best. The sender is required to navigate away from the thread page to access the PM function. Can we please have these button back? The PMQ button is especially useful to moderators! :help:

Click on the persons screen name and PM is listed there.

Lumen 02-01-16 10:07 AM

Thank you! :smile:

JBrax 02-01-16 10:19 AM

221 Attachment(s)
Any plans for app improvement?

CFmartin 02-01-16 01:41 PM

Looks quite bad on winphone 8.1. Font size and color of thread headers and other text like number of replies, time and writer are almost the same. Looks like everything is writen together. Very hard to read.

86eldel68-deactivated 02-02-16 10:08 AM

I like the new look, mostly because it now echoes the look of two other sites (AVSForum.com and DigitalHome.ca) whose forums (fora) I frequent. :)

Admin VS 02-02-16 11:01 AM

Quote:

JBrax wrote: (Post 1381690)
Any plans for app improvement?

ForumRunner is no longer supported by vbulletin. So not likely.

Quote:

CFmartin wrote: (Post 1382034)
Looks quite bad on winphone 8.1. Font size and color of thread headers and other text like number of replies, time and writer are almost the same. Looks like everything is writen together. Very hard to read.

I'm not too sure how the window's phone browser looks like. Are you using IE on it or Chrome?

Lee

tonyvdb 02-02-16 11:10 AM

I want to voice my agreement that the only missing feature that needs to be added is the auto resize for when we post images. Having to manually do this every time I want to post a photo is difficult particularly from a phone or tablet.

Talley 02-02-16 11:21 AM

I don't like the restrictive size on the main page... right now it's set to a standard size it needs to be changed to autosize. I have previous Vbulletin experience so I know this is possible... fix now please :D

Navydoc 02-02-16 02:16 PM

Quote:

Navydoc wrote: (Post 1380442)
Please fix the enclosure calculator...I didn't realize how often I use it until its not available.

Overall, I like the updated version.

Still not working, at least on the two computers I've tried it on. :rant:

CFmartin 02-03-16 02:39 AM

Quote:

Admin VS wrote: (Post 1382650)
ForumRunner is no longer supported by vbulletin. So not likely.

I'm not too sure how the window's phone browser looks like. Are you using IE on it or Chrome?

Lee

Lee, I am using IE.

Admin VS 02-03-16 09:31 AM

Quote:

CFmartin wrote: (Post 1383250)
Lee, I am using IE.

Can you post a screenshot? Most sites are usually compatible with Windows Phones, since the majority use either iPhone or Android. Windows phones are usually powerful enough to run IE fully but since it is a mobile device, it doesn't always translate well on there especially since our mobile detect can't track them.

Lee

CFmartin 02-04-16 01:15 AM

charlieblue 02-05-16 04:31 AM

Quote:

albe wrote: (Post 1380842)
Looks much more streamline..AND it is much faster!
Great job to all who had a role!
:smile:

+1

Nice work!

Admin VS 02-05-16 11:30 AM

Quote:

CFmartin wrote: (Post 1383914)

Is that the mobile version or desktop view on mobile? I don't think we are looking at the same screen.

Lee

willis7469 02-05-16 12:23 PM

Quote:

CFmartin wrote: (Post 1383914)

That is terrible.

Admin VS 02-08-16 02:58 PM

Quote:

willis7469 wrote: (Post 1384818)
That is terrible.

That's the mobile layout outside of the enhanced mobile view, it's for users who don't use the iphone or android devices. You can opt out of it but selecting full version at the bottom of the page.

Lee

Tonto 02-11-16 12:48 PM

How's it going guys, the new site looks pretty good! Couple of questions.

1) The "Tools" button used to have a link to our posts/threads. Did that go away or is it somewhere else?

2) Still wondering if it is possible to get a dropdown box for the hyperlink button that has all of our sponsors pre-loaded.

Keep up the good work!

CFmartin 02-15-16 09:22 AM

Quote:

Admin VS wrote: (Post 1386538)
That's the mobile layout outside of the enhanced mobile view, it's for users who don't use the iphone or android devices. You can opt out of it but selecting full version at the bottom of the page.

Lee

Sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy with my work.

Yes, "full version" looks much better although it wastes lot of display space. By the way it isn't that simple to turn mobile version off on winphone. I had to press "full version" -button quite many times before it actually made difference.

Admin VS 02-16-16 12:22 PM

Quote:

CFmartin wrote: (Post 1391857)
Sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy with my work.

Yes, "full version" looks much better although it wastes lot of display space. By the way it isn't that simple to turn mobile version off on winphone. I had to press "full version" -button quite many times before it actually made difference.

If you find that this problem persists, can you provide us with the model of your phone and the OS version so we can have our tech team look into it?

Thank you,

Richard.