Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Forum Help | Suggestions (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Attention - Password and Security Update (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/151121-attention-password-security-update.html)

Admin VS 06-14-16 10:17 AM

Attention - Password and Security Update

Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

chashint 06-15-16 07:31 PM

Participating in a home theater forum should not require password resets or expirations.
While I have enjoyed my time here when my password expires that's it for me.
I want all the great members here to know how much I have enjoyed participating in this forum with you.
Many thanks to each and every one of you.

JBrax 06-15-16 08:02 PM

221 Attachment(s)
I would like further explanation of what the "potential risks" are?

lcaillo 06-15-16 09:04 PM

Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

I just got the email notifying me of my password reset at AVS. I feel the same way as Charlie. I am done with both forums if I have to deal with password resets. It is nonsense to require this of users. Staff, who may have access to administrative areas is another matter, but for public users it is silly.

I am also very disappointed that we were not notified that the forums may have been compromised and not given any real information about potential threats.

I am sorry to say that after 10 years here, and longer at AVS, I will not be back at either if a password reset is required.

Adios.

Kal Rubinson 06-15-16 09:22 PM

Quote:

chashint wrote: (Post 1462105)
Participating in a home theater forum should not require password resets or expirations.
While I have enjoyed my time here when my password expires that's it for me.

Yup. I will be gone, too. This has been fun.

selden 06-16-16 10:25 AM

The reason for the password resets at AVS and here is that VerticalScope was compromised. VerticalScope owns both forums. More than 45 million accounts and passwords were leaked.

See http://www.securityweek.com/45-milli...icalscope-hack

JBrax 06-16-16 10:31 AM

221 Attachment(s)
Quote:

selden wrote: (Post 1462369)
The reason for the password resets at AVS and here is that VerticalScope was compromised. VerticalScope owns both forums. More than 45 million accounts and passwords were leaked. See http://www.securityweek.com/45-milli...icalscope-hack

What does that mean to me as a member? What can they do with the information and what exactly did they obtain?

selden 06-16-16 10:38 AM

Quote:

JBrax wrote: (Post 1462385)
What does that mean to me as a member? What can they do with the information and what exactly did they obtain?

It means that they can login using your userid and password, making posts in your name.

Many people use the same password on many different sites, including financial sites. Password theft exposes those people to very serious problems -- like theft of all their savings, redirection of direct deposits, etc.

For a detailed discussion of what happened to VerticalScope, see the article that I linked to above.

JBrax 06-16-16 10:43 AM

221 Attachment(s)
Ok, my next question would be was my info compromised?

selden 06-16-16 10:49 AM

Quote:

JBrax wrote: (Post 1462409)
Ok, my next question would be was my info compromised?

*Everybody's* account info was compromised.