Screen recommendation please. (Living room/Ambient) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-15, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
A J
Shackster

Screen recommendation please. (Living room/Ambient)

Hi all,

I've never been around PJ's/Screens and need some help.

My room situation is as follow.

My room is 23'x13' with seating along the middle 15' of a long wall.
The viewing wall has 2 openings in it, with a 9' wall between the openings.

Wall/ceiling color is light cream/egg shell.
Carpet is Beige/tan.

Although room has 5 windows, 3 of the windows can be blacked out.
The 2 windows that we like to have open are 2'x4' and sit in the middle of the left/right walls (about 25 degree angle to the screen).

The extreme left/right viewing position (mine and my wife's recliners) create a 65 included angle to the center of the screen. Guests sit on a couch directly across from screen position.

We watch a lot of daytime TV (Baseball) and Movies nearly every night.

I can purchase a screen or build a DIY screen (a friend was a cabinet maker for 30 years and will assist with any painting/building required).

I don't have a projector yet, but am thinking about the Epson 3050UB, shelf mounted (what height?).

Using a smartphone app, I've measured the Lux on the screen wall as around 35-50 lux reflected from the wall, 80-100 directly toward the open windows from the center of the screen position.

I've thought about a large LED, but I absolutely abhor reflections. As light as our room paint is, even in low light conditions, I can see the reflection in the glass of the screen. My current rear projection TV has a glass screen and it has been slowly driving me crazy for 12 years!

Options:
1) Buy a fixed screen (Firehawk, CineGray 3D, ...)
2) Build a fixed screen (5'x8' melamine as a base for a DIY painted screen, mounted with using a French cleat)
3) Give up and stay with the rear projector until it dies.

Here is a picture of the current TV in front of the wall that will hold the screen.
(Don't worry about the light switch, it will be taken out of play).

Here is a picture from MY viewing position (you can see the reflections that I hate so much). I have both window on this wall open, normally only the one in the picture has the curtain pulled back.

Any and all comments/help is appreciated.

AJ
Attached Thumbnails
Screen recommendation please. (Living room/Ambient)-2015-04-17-11.53.49c.jpg  

Screen recommendation please. (Living room/Ambient)-2015-04-19-10.20.56b.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-15, 01:38 PM
HTS Moderator

Re: Screen recommendation please. (Living room/Ambient)

In environments such as yours is quite impossible create the batcave effect by changing one or two things. If the reflection problem is bothering now, with the front throw projector will go nuts. Of course, there are the usual solutions of special screens such as DNP Supernova but they are very expensive. So, i would vote for the third option unless if you think to use dark curtains during the film. These will provide the necessary adjustments in order to go afterwards to a front projector option.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-15, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
A J
Shackster

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
In environments such as yours is quite impossible create the batcave effect by changing one or two things. If the reflection problem is bothering now, with the front throw projector will go nuts. Of course, there are the usual solutions of special screens such as DNP Supernova but they are very expensive. So, i would vote for the third option unless if you think to use dark curtains during the film. These will provide the necessary adjustments in order to go afterwards to a front projector option.
Yikes! I was really hoping nobody would choose #3

I think the second picture makes the window look brighter than it actually is (I'm in Michigan and that window faces north).

If there is a standard way to measure ambient light etc., I'd love to know about it. I have a good SLR as well as a new phone with light sensor / camera if I can take measurement etc. Also, I had both windows on that end of the room open for that last picture.

I'd love to use a front projector and love to take advantage of the current sale on the Epson 3050UB.

Thanks again for the response,
AJ

Epson 5030UBe (118" DIY screen)
Marantz sr6010 amp
Theil CS .5 front speakers
REL Storm SubWoofer
Polk Audio Center Channel Speaker (CS 350)
Definitive rear channels

post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-15, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
A J
Shackster

Here is a diagram of the room.

I'm now looking seriously at the DNP SuperNova (would really like the .85 gain screen) or the Stewart or SI BlackDiamond.

The Projector Central calculator shows 25 Foot Lamberts for a 100" DNP .85 gain screen (is that enough?)

Anybody have these high end screens that might be able to take some ambient light readings in their rooms, would be really helpful.

I use an android app called 'Lux Meter' and get readings from 35-70 aiming from screen directly toward the open windows on left and right. Any objective numbers and pictures from others would be terrific.

I can zoom the picture down to 55" during really bright times if needed, which would give 42 foot lamberts. ???

Thanks again,
AJ
Attached Thumbnails
Screen recommendation please. (Living room/Ambient)-livingroom.png  

Marantz sr6010 amp
REL Storm SubWoofer
Definitive rear channels
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-15, 09:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

There is no reason why you cant have a screen in your room. There are plenty of cost effective ways to black out the windows and give you the dark space you need. Projectors have come a long ways and screens made with a grey rather than white material are available to help with getting better blacks in a room with some ambient light.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-15, 10:52 AM
Shackster

A quick fix: go grab some blackout curtains at target. For about $20 you can have that batcave effect.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-28-15, 12:41 PM

Ron

My System

I agree...just get some blackout curtains, and you should be fine.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-15, 02:27 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

1) Find a cheap projector from someplace with a loose 30-day return policy
2) Buy a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" White Melamine coated MDF (Lowe's/Home Depot etc)
3) Get $20 blackout curtains

For a few hundred $$, you can audition the concept of having a projector without investing large amounts of time, money, and emotion. The white melamine is certainly not a high-end projection surface, but it will give you a flat, even surface without having to do any work. If you test it out and hate everything, return the projector and throw everything else in the trash.

If it's close, return the projector and start looking in earnest at a good screen and real blackout curtains. Oh... and think of all the real estate you're going to gain by getting rid of that dinosaur of a TV.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-02-15, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
A J
Shackster

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
1) Find a cheap projector from someplace with a loose 30-day return policy
2) Buy a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" White Melamine coated MDF (Lowe's/Home Depot etc)
3) Get $20 blackout curtains

For a few hundred $$, you can audition the concept of having a projector without investing large amounts of time, money, and emotion. The white melamine is certainly not a high-end projection surface, but it will give you a flat, even surface without having to do any work. If you test it out and hate everything, return the projector and throw everything else in the trash.

If it's close, return the projector and start looking in earnest at a good screen and real blackout curtains. Oh... and think of all the real estate you're going to gain by getting rid of that dinosaur of a TV.

Update for all.

I installed an Epson 5030 UBe and smoothed/painted the opposite wall with a grey+AAA paint. We blacked out the windows opposite the 'screen wall'.

I have nearly 2000 hours on the projector and would never go back. For most tv programs/sports/news, we can keep the curtains completely open on the left and right. For movies and the occasional tv show that is really dark, we have to pull the curtains 1/2 or more closed.

I even used the projector outside twice this summer (conduit framed white tarp 20x9, mounted with bottom 5' off the ground). It was a huge hit with everyone.

We normally adjust the size of the screen to it's maximum 118" diagonal, but by shrinking it down to 90" or so, we can leave the curtains open for nearly all shows (even on pretty bright days).

I mounted the projector on the wall with a Chief mount (a stud was perfectly positioned/centered in the wall, so the mounting took all of 5 minutes).

BTW: I'm running the projector on Eco mode with the auto-Iris turned off, so it is completely silent.

AJ

Marantz sr6010 amp
REL Storm SubWoofer
Definitive rear channels