What Screen to use?????? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-06, 06:39 AM
James Broccoli
Inactive

What Screen to use??????

Hi,

I am a new member to HomeTheaterShack, as well as, a first time projector owner. I bought a Panasonic AE900U after hours of research. Now I started to reseach screens and WOW, there is a ton of them out there. I would really appreciate some advise. The room I am using is a great room, dining/family 17' * 26' total. I will be covering windows with light blocking pull down shades, so hopefully it will be dark enough.

Two windows I would like to cover with the screen, so the measurements have to be at least 104 inches wide and the ceiling height is 8 feet. I can mount the projector anywhere, so the Throw distance isn't a problem. On the other hand money is a problem, so go easy on me an try to keep it under $600.00 for a pull down. Please Help! I want to set this up.

JJBroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-06, 04:07 PM
Shackster
Chuck

Re: What Screen to use??????

I just started a thread here http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...html#post12134 about my screen and my results.

Chuck
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-06, 04:38 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

If you don't want to go the DIY route (but check out chasw98's link -- that screen looks great), you might take a look at Carada. As far as I know, they only sell fixed screens (i.e., no pull downs), but they've gotten great reviews and because they're internet only, have some great prices for the relative product. I've also been told their customer service is top notch. I think they've looked at SVS as a model to emulate and I know some of the big mucky mucks at the two companies have some sort of relationship.

If you're looking for a pull down, there are some issues that need to be addressed -- will it be tensioned in some way when it's pulled down? With no tension, there will be a tendency for the screen to curl in at the bottom. This may happen -- at least according to a sales person I talked to recently, so take this with a grain of salt -- even when there is a solid/stick/whatever bottom. And just to clarify, I'm no expert, just passing on what I've picked up recently.

If you'd like to go that route, I found a Da-lite screen on ebay for $217. It's in a 16:9 format and Dalite is supposed to be pretty good. Again, not an expert, so I'm not going to be able to tell you how good it is compared the more expensive fixed screens from Carada.

TKoP

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-07, 03:36 PM
Shackster

Ken

Did you want to purchase a brand name screen or would you be open to building one?
It's amazing what you get from a piece of laminate.

I also have the AE900, pretty nice projector, works with a good amount of ambient light on too. A gray screen will help your picture if you would be needing some lights on in the room.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-07, 09:14 AM
Shackster

Ken

Thanks for showing me this great forum...

Ken
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-07, 01:54 PM
Senior Shackster

Boom

I also have a Panny AE-900U and I use a 106" Optoma Graywolf pulldown screen. I like it for many reasons, 1) I got it for a good price. 2) It has pretty good light rejection and 3) the retroreflective nature takes out the effects from small waves.

As stated previously all pull down screen will develop waves. How much they bother you depends on your setup and your sensitivity. Personally, once I detect them I can't stop seeing them!

With this screen some people complain about little twinkling spots in bright white. I don't really see it most of the time and when I do I don't think it is any worse then bright spots I see in screens at this same price point.

One tip is to take great care for light control. Even with a good projector and screen I get bothered by ambient light. This effect is worse the larger the screen - 106" is about the largest I'd do with the Panny AE900U in ideal conditions. You may want to consider a smaller screen. I have a friend with a similar setup to yours except he uses a Graywolf II in a 94" screen and it is much less light sensitive then my larger screen.