Why buy an expensive screen? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 10-18-06, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Why buy an expensive screen?

Why buy an expensive screen Expensive screens do not give any more detail to a projected image than a white painted wall.Screens are not magic.Expensive screens give a brighter image depending on their gain. But,the brightness of modern projectors is not a problem compared to the antique vidicon tube projectors.(they had their place years ago,along with turntables and records).I have compared Matt White painted walls to expensive screens and it is not worth the money, if one has to spend money they should upgrade their speakers, as speakers are the weakest link in home theatre.Kind regards alan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-18-06, 02:15 PM
Senior Shackster
Josuah

Re: Why buy an expensive screen?

A screen's reflective surface can have a very different effect than a painted wall. For example, a screen's surface may be designed to reflect light that hits perpendicularly while not reflecting light that hits above a certain angle of incidence. Those are screens that have a narrower viewing angle. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your needs.

Screens that do that can also exhibit hotspotting, while screens that take that into account from the beginning would not exhibit that problem, but further narrow the viewing angle.

Gray screens are often used to improve black levels with LCD and sometimes DLP projectors since they are not able to produce blacks as well as traditional CRT projectors.

Black screens can be used to accomplish something similar in rooms without light control.

What do I use? Blackout cloth from the fabric store. But I can do this because I have a light-controlled room, a black canopy above, red wine velvet curtains to the sides, and black felt on top of my center speaker. Otherwise reflected light is too distracting.

And I would argue that the room is the weakest link in home theater, not the speakers.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-19-06, 04:20 AM
Shackster

norpus

Quote:
alan monro wrote: View Post
Why buy an expensive screen Expensive screens do not give any more detail to a projected image than a white painted wall.
I cannot agree Alan, having been a wally, then relatively expensive screen and now cheapy electric
The PQ on the better screen meant makes the difference between a $4000 projetor and a $2000 one

I agree with what Josuah said very much

Cheers
Norpus

Last edited by norpus; 10-19-06 at 08:27 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-20-06, 04:43 PM
Bob

Send a message via AIM to khellandros66 Send a message via MSN to khellandros66

If you take a ISA Calibrated system and use samples from different manufacturers. I can tell you paint will look like garbage. Berh makes a special pain for doing a screen on a wall and you get a an application kit for it too. Any imperfections in the strokes, and thinning of the paint will be visible and affect image quality and consistency.

~Bob
post #5 of 10 Old 10-20-06, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Josuah wrote: View Post
And I would argue that the room is the weakest link in home theater, not the speakers.
By far for most people!
post #6 of 10 Old 10-21-06, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions about the screens. The most detailed and colour saturated movie i have ever seen was at my mates place. He is a professional projectionist . He was projecting a 35 mm film onto a white painted wall,carbon arc light source. He had a chimney to let the fumes out side. he explained to me that the theatre screens had to have a screen gain due to their enormous size .At home no need for a screen if viewed in the dark.He also told me 35mm is 3000 lines , The best electronic projector is about 1000 lines, no doubt they will get there in time,if North Korea doesnt start making the world its target. Sleep with one eye open.kind regards alan.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-21-06, 04:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Josuah

Okay, so you cheated a little. :P You used real 35mm film with a high quality light source. The rest of us have consumer-grade LCD/DLP projectors which aren't going to look good in comparison. Maybe he also did good things to his wall too, like sanding it down and using the right kind of paint.

You and he are correct that you don't necessarily need >1 screen gain on a smaller screen. You may even want <1. But that doesn't mean a wall is always better. And you certainly weren't comparing apples to apples here.

My understanding is 35mm film is 4000 lines, based on theater viewing distances, and that's why they're currently digitizing film at 4000 lines.

As for N. Korea...well, I think my opinion differs from yours. ::shrug::
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-06, 04:58 AM
Shackster

norpus

Quote:
alan monro wrote: View Post
Thanks for your opinions about the screens. The most detailed and colour saturated movie i have ever seen was at my mates place. He is a professional projectionist . He was projecting a 35 mm film onto a white painted wall,carbon arc light source. He had a chimney to let the fumes out side. he explained to me that the theatre screens had to have a screen gain due to their enormous size .At home no need for a screen if viewed in the dark.He also told me 35mm is 3000 lines , The best electronic projector is about 1000 lines, no doubt they will get there in time,if North Korea doesnt start making the world its target. Sleep with one eye open.kind regards alan.

Mmm that was a little unfair wasn't it alan
did you get the responses you were angling for?

What pj and wall are you using by the way please?

Cheers
Norpus
post #9 of 10 Old 10-23-06, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Norpus, People (in general) should use their brains and not listen to the sale pitches of a lot (not all) of crook sales men in the av industry wanting to flog a lot of useless expensive gear such as , monster speaker wire, 3000dollar screens, etc .This Home Theatre Shack Forum is good . One can make others think , and maybe they wont get riped off whilst purchasing home theatre gear.Projector is-- Acer PH110 and plaster painted with white ceiling paint is my screen . Even my projectionist mate said "not a bad picture for a very low outlay." kind regards alan
post #10 of 10 Old 10-23-06, 11:43 AM
Senior Shackster
Josuah

Um, I think the point was you were being a little trollish and dishonest in your original post.
Closed Thread