Screen size help? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 02-07-07, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Re: Screen size help?

Jack-

Thanks for the offer! I use to live in Chicago. Great town, I miss the action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 02-07-07, 05:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
tango wrote: View Post
Plus, I used the 2.5 time the screen diagonal for seating distance, but maybe that does not apply to front projection. .
The preferred seating distance for front projection is about 1.5 times the width of the screen..
Some people (as I do) like to be even slightly closer than that..

Most good digital projectors today will allow you to sit very close to the screen, and still not see any SDE..
post #13 of 21 Old 02-07-07, 09:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
tango wrote: View Post
Toshiba HD-A2 for the 720P upcoversion
If you can possibly swing it I would recommend the HD-XA2 that has the Silicon Optix Reon chip instead. Its upconversion of standard def DVDs is as good as the very best external video processors.

Actually my secret goal is to see it on somebody's big 100+ screen.

Want me to bring my XA2 over to try it? What part of Iowa? (a PM reply will do for an answer).

post #14 of 21 Old 02-08-07, 02:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Josuah

If you're not set at sitting 18' away, choose to sit closer. That way, not only can you get more out of your projector, you can also get more out of your speakers and gear. The farther away you sit from your speakers, the louder you'll have to run them for the same volume.

And yeah, a lot of projectors happen to end up being such that they will give you the right picture size if they're mounted right over your head, or pretty close to it. Ceiling mount isn't the only option, as you can also build a little floor enclosure which could also act as your ottoman or a little table.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-08-07, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I actually thought about the floor enclosure as well and would not rule that out.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-08-07, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
bobgpsr wrote: View Post
If you can possibly swing it I would recommend the HD-XA2 that has the Silicon Optix Reon chip instead. Its upconversion of standard def DVDs is as good as the very best external video processors.

Actually my secret goal is to see it on somebody's big 100+ screen.

Want me to bring my XA2 over to try it? What part of Iowa? (a PM reply will do for an answer).
For my understanding the XA2 is a 1.3 HDMI and there is not much out that that supports in for PJ. Plus, I don't think the wife would like to spend an extra 500 on a DVD player, budget you know.

Thanks though, when I get everthing setup I'll be in touch. We just got bought the house waiting for ours to sell
post #17 of 21 Old 02-08-07, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Harold

My System
Send a message via AIM to Harold Dale Send a message via MSN to Harold Dale Send a message via Yahoo to Harold Dale

You can use HDMI 1.3 on any HDMI port they are cross compatible. The only reason you would need HDMI 1.3 on your receiver is if you wanted to use the new audio formats.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-12-07, 02:25 PM
Shackster
Joe

Tango,
I have the PLV-Z5 and I am using a 35ft hdmi (22ga) from monoprice. NO problems whatsoever!!!
Great picure and no "sparklies".
I am using it in a totally light-controlled room with a throw of ~12ft and using a screen size of appx 100". Seating is at appx 11.5ft.
I have no problems but 18 ft is a longer throw and MAY require higher contrast performance.

Check the comparison Review:http://www.projectorcentral.com/ax100u_plv-z5.htm

It has some good info abouut the capabilities of the Sanyo. I ended up going with the Sanyo based on the honest assessment of it's capabilities and my application.
HTH
post #19 of 21 Old 02-12-07, 02:35 PM
Shackster
Joe

Quote:
I have no problems but 18 ft is a longer throw and MAY require higher contrast performance.
I should have said higher LUMEN performance
post #20 of 21 Old 02-12-07, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

well why then does the projection calculator on PJ central show 21.8 ft then? What gives is that the max distance?

Also how low does it need to hang from the ceiling? Does it matter how high the screen is on the wall?