Fabric Screens - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 57 Old 02-14-07, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Fabric Screens

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I've seen it online as a 'Waterproof fabric'.
Yes..I contacted the Store I bought mine from yesterday and asked them what this material is normally used for..They said it's used for lightweight water-proof jackets,Tents, Flags, and Banners..

If you don't have a Rubber supplier in your area, you might try Signwriter suppliers, or Tent makers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 Old 02-28-07, 12:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Any updates on this Prof? Did you finish a full screen yet?
post #13 of 57 Old 02-28-07, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

No, I haven't even started the new screen yet..
I had intended to wait for the lens to arrive, and test it out on my current screen first before I made the CIH screen..
I was informed yesterday by the supplier that he is waiting on a shipment of prisms, so there's going to be a further delay..
I will keep everyone up to date when the lens arrives and I start making the Nulon screen..

post #14 of 57 Old 04-04-07, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Update...

The Anamorphic lens arrived a few weeks ago and after playing around with it for a few days and everything looking good, I've now started making up the Scope screen..
It's not finished yet but I thought I would post a few pics of the progress at this stage..

The first shot is just the basic framing...pretty standard stuff..
The frame is 1"x4" pre-finished Cyprus Fir...It was the straightest timber I could find..

This is the backing board..It's 3mm.white faced MDF..The same material that my current screen is made from..
The Nulon material is semi translucent and needs a white backing to reduce light loss through the material.
One of the advantages of the backing board is that when it comes to cleaning the screen, you have a solid backing to press the material against, which otherwise might tend to stretch and loosen the material when pressure is applied..

And this is with the Nulon fitted..I had great reservations as to how this was going to turn out, because when the material arrived, it was folded with creases everywhere, and being quite thin I wasn't sure if it would stretch evenly eliminating all the creases.
I thought about ironing it before fitting, but being a nylon based product, I had visions of it melting or sticking to the iron, so I decided to take a chance that it would stretch ok..
It was a great relief when the last staple went in and I turned it over to find that all the creases had gone..

Today I'll be making up the borders and fitting them, and attaching the French Cleats ready for mounting..

More photo's to come...
post #15 of 57 Old 04-05-07, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Thanks mech...I have to stop myself from rushing to finish it..
I'm dieing to see how it looks with the Anamorphic lens setup..
post #16 of 57 Old 04-06-07, 05:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

prof is that a 2.35:1 screen??
post #17 of 57 Old 04-06-07, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Bill.. it's actually a 2.37:1..That's the aspect ratio required for this Anamorphic lens, to completely fill the width of the screen..

Here is a shot of the finished screen..It's a little blurry unfortunately..

post #18 of 57 Old 04-06-07, 07:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Excellent job! Get that puppy mounted and then some gratuitous screenies up!

Oh... 300 should look outstanding on that!
post #19 of 57 Old 04-07-07, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Have you noticed any hotspotting or color shifting with this material?

I tried a few different materials in my journey's from fabrics to plastics and found that the more they reflected the more prone they were to hotspotting. The easiest way I found to detect this was to use Avia, there are a few full screen color fields of various colors. Playing them(more so with the brighter colors) I could see that the colors were not uniform across the entire screen, and if you moved around the room the colors would shift in radiance with these higher reflective materials. I decided against those materials, even though they gave brighter whites and overall vibrant colors, because of the uneven color spread. I also found imperfections in a number of the different materials I tried.

I ended up choosing this material from Dazian because of the perfect uniformity in finish and the projected image is reflected absolutely even no matter how you look at it, zero hotspotting and color shifting. This material is a slightly stretchy thin PVC(which also makes it easy to clean) with very fine diagonal ridges that can only be seen from a few inches away.

I'd love to give that material a try. I live in Australia so sourcing it over here may be an issue. Do you have any more info on I should be looking for?

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Professional Home Theater 1
post #20 of 57 Old 04-07-07, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

MACCA..mech and Bill....This Nulon screen material is incredible!!

I temporarily set up the screen yesterday to see how this material performed, and was totally blown away by what I saw...It's even better than what my test sample showed!!

The first thing I noticed was just how bright and clear the overall image was..It was like a veil had been lifted from the image...
But what really stands out is how sharp the image is compared to my previous vinyl faced screen..It Almost has that CRT type of sharpness, that doesn't have any harshness to it..if you know what I mean.

The WHITES and the BLACKS are the BEST I have ever seen of all the seven screens and dozens of test panels I have tried over the years..I could even reduce contrast and the whites were still strong..
And the COLOURS !!...well the only way I can describe it is, it was like a few more thousand colours had been added to the images...with absolutely no push to any colour...

HOT-SPOTTING !!...Totally non existent!!..My previous vinyl screen exhibited a little bit of hot-spotting, which was only noticeable with a bright sky background..
With a totally white projected image, this whole screen was evenly illuminated from one side to the other..

VIEWING CONE !!...It doesn't have one!!..I could stand right next to the screen, and it was just as bright when viewing from the normal seated position..

Because of the clarity and added sharpness, the image now has a greater perceived depth to it..giving it a more of a 3D look...

I can't emphasize enough, how good this screen material is, and I'm very sure it would stand up very well against the most expensive commercial screens..

Comparing it to other screens I've made, I would guess it has about a 1.3 gain..

When the screen has been properly set up and the new lens in place, I will post some pics..

MACCA...You can get this material from most Clark Rubber stores..It's 1450mm.wide and costs $15.95/M...Also may be available from Spotlight..
If you can just get a half metre or so, it will be well worth trying against your Dazian material..
Oh...and btw..This leaves BOC for dead!!