Fabric Screens - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 57 Old 04-11-07, 12:05 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Re: Fabric Screens

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Actually, according to Clark Rubber it's supposed to be rubber backed nylon material..
Yes thats what the sticker said. I tore an offcut and yes it is a fabric with a rubberized backing.

Quote:
This material should be water-proof, since it is used for water-proof jackets, tents and flags..
It's waterproof but the water changes the stiffness of the material, its hard to explain, try it with an offcut.

Quote:
I found the blacks also to be very strong compared to my previous screen..Maybe the Dazian does perform better with blacks..
Possibly

Quote:
I gather that you had the material on your frame in place of the Dazian..
This material requires a backing of some sort, because of it's translucency..I've backed it with a sheet of white MDF..
This also might explain why you didn't get the strong blacks that I'm seeing..
If you just drape the material in front of your existing screen, this will give it a backing and give a better comparison..
All my testing was done with a .5m strip of the material draped over my existing Dazien screen for comparisons. After all this I replace the Dazian screen with this material but thats as far as I got due to the issues I stated earlier. So I haven't yet tested it on it's own in the frame.

I have an old frame in the shed that has BOC stretched over a wooden frame, so I may stretch this material over the BOC and try the old screen out(since the 'trampoline' screen failed).

Quote:
I'd be interested to see some side by side screen shots.
I'll see what I can do.

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Professional Home Theater 1

Last edited by MACCA350; 04-11-07 at 05:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 04-25-07, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
MACCA350 wrote: View Post
It's waterproof but the water changes the stiffness of the material, its hard to explain, try it with an offcut.
Well you were right..We've just had our first rains in months and the air is heavy with moisture..The material has sagged with ripples everywhere..
It may straighten out again when the moisture dissipates, but I can't live with it doing that every time it rains.

So it's back to the drawing board again..I think I'll have to look for a solid substrate material that I can use as is, or go to a painted screen..

It's a great disappointment because the image quality on the Nulon was excellent..
post #33 of 57 Old 04-26-07, 08:05 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Quote:
Well you were right..We've just had our first rains in months and the air is heavy with moisture..The material has sagged with ripples everywhere..
It may straighten out again when the moisture dissipates, but I can't live with it doing that every time it rains.

So it's back to the drawing board again..I think I'll have to look for a solid substrate material that I can use as is, or go to a painted screen..

It's a great disappointment because the image quality on the Nulon was excellent..
Yes, its a shame.

Try some solid PVC based materials. I tried many different materials including fabrics(some satin's were rather good for gain) and tarpaulin's of various kinds. The problem I had with the tarpaulin's was consistency in the finish, I'd try a sample that looked perfect but when I got a full size piece there were imperfections that I couldn't live with. I tried to source a manufacture of the kinds of PVC material like the Dazian screen but kept hitting dead ends, these screen companies must have exclusivity's with manufactures if they outsource In the end I just bit the bullet and ordered the material(at the time it was half the price it is now)

Good luck, and keep us posted.
cheers

post #34 of 57 Old 04-26-07, 01:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:

Prof sorry to hear that... this looked very nice and I'd think still is for people that don't have lots of moisture. Was it humidity in the air that caused it? Would a dehumidifier help out some and maybe prevent it from happening again?
post #35 of 57 Old 04-26-07, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

MACCA,

I originally wanted to use a solid PVC foam sheet, because I had heard good reports about it and Mark Teacher swore by it.. but it isn't available here in Adelaide in 3M. long sheets..
That's when I found the Nulon...

I'm currently thinking about a laminate like the Designer White, but laminates here are very expensive, particularly when you want to get a 3000mm.. long sheet..and they do need to be bonded to a solid substrate..

And this brings me to a painted screen possibility..It may be the simplest way to solve the problem..

Did you get your Dazian material locally or ship it from the States?..I've never found any source over here for it..
post #36 of 57 Old 04-26-07, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Bill,

I think it was the humidity that killed it..It's been quite warm even with the rain..Tropical like.

I did manage to get it stretched tight again by putting a little blower heater directed at the screen..
It only took a few minutes of heat, and you could see the creases and folds disappearing..Strange stuff this Nulon!!...But after the screen cooled down, the sagging was back again..
I watched a movie last night, constantly getting up and down to switch the heater on and off...great fun..
At the moment it looks like a crinkled bedsheet hanging there...

I think my only alternative at this stage is the painted screen...
post #37 of 57 Old 04-27-07, 03:53 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Prof,
I had it sent over from the states, you can order it cut to length straight off their site. There was someone selling heaps of Dazian stuff(including screen material) on Ebay, they must have worked at Dazian, but I can't find them now.

cheers

post #38 of 57 Old 04-27-07, 03:56 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Found it, here is their Ebay store

cheers

post #39 of 57 Old 04-28-07, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Thanks MACCA...I had a look at their website and it is quite expensive, even for 54" wide when you convert to AUD plus shipping costs..
Have you ever compared it to BOC, and what sort of improvement would you see?
This is why I chose the Nulon, because it exceeded BOC in every aspect..as my screenshots show..
post #40 of 57 Old 04-29-07, 12:49 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

You know, I'm not sure if I actually compared the Dazian to BOC, and unfortunately I don't have any BOC now.

If you like I could send you a small piece of the Dazian material and you can see what you think of it.

I found this site that was started by a guy from the AVS forum when he was searching for material. He ended up manufacturing his own Acoustically transparent material and started up his own company called SMX Theater Solutions. His new frame looks rather interesting but will cost, starting at over US$1,500 and 4meters of their fabric will cost you US$380(4meters of Dazian is US$114)

When he first made that SMX material it apparently used to be about US$10 per meter now its US$95 per meter.

cheers

Last edited by MACCA350; 04-29-07 at 12:59 AM.