Fabric Screens - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 57 Old 04-29-07, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Fabric Screens

MACCA...I would very much appreciate that...
It would give me a better idea of how it compares to the Nulon, and if it is a suitable alternative before making the commitment..
I'll PM you my details..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 Old 04-30-07, 03:37 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
MACCA...I would very much appreciate that...
It would give me a better idea of how it compares to the Nulon, and if it is a suitable alternative before making the commitment..
I'll PM you my details..
Your wish is my command

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Professional Home Theater 1
post #43 of 57 Old 05-04-07, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Hi MACCA,

I received the sample today..Thanks very much..
I'll let you know the results when I've had a chance to test it..
Strange thing is, I have a feeling that I've seen this material here somewhere, but it's not called Dazian..Can't put my finger on it at the moment..I'll have to check with a few material stores..

post #44 of 57 Old 05-04-07, 05:23 AM
Senior Shackster

MACCA

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Hi MACCA,

I received the sample today..Thanks very much..
I'll let you know the results when I've had a chance to test it..
Strange thing is, I have a feeling that I've seen this material here somewhere, but it's not called Dazian..Can't put my finger on it at the moment..I'll have to check with a few material stores..
If you can find this in a local store, let us know, because IIRC Dazian actually manufacture this in house themselves. Its also the only solid PVC screen material that is not just a flat finish but has the fine diagonal hatching(at least the only one that I'm aware of).

Anyway, keep us posted

cheers

Certified Professional Home Theater 1
post #45 of 57 Old 05-05-07, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

MACCA,

I ran the test today with the Nulon and the Dazian materials...

I first compared the BOC,Nulon,and Dazian inside and outside in the sun..
The BOC is whiter than the Nulon, making it look a little creamish in colour..But what surprised me was that the Dazian was even slightly more creamish than the Nulon...

Nevertheless, I pinned up the Dazian to the screen and watched SW1 to see if I could detect any difference in a variety of scenes..
For the most part, the sample piece just blended into the Nulon screen, becoming virtually invisible..
This really surprised me considering that there was a difference in colour between the two materials..
Most of the colours of the image were identical, and I only noticed any difference when there was a muted colour, like a light grey..

The shots below show what I'm talking about..
This shot of the skin tone is virtually identical to the eye, but the camera did show a very slight difference..
[IMG] [/IMG]

This shot has picked up a slight difference between the two on a light background..
[IMG][/IMG]

Whites were very slightly better on the Nulon..
I found that video black was identical on both materials, but below black did look a little blacker on the Dazian..

The end result for me is that the Dazian material would make a good replacement for the Nulon, and it certainly is a more robust material..
I didn't compare the BOC to it because it was already darker allround than the Nulon..

BTW...I think I saw that material sold as a heavy duty tablecloth...I'll have to checkout Spotlight..
post #46 of 57 Old 06-08-07, 12:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Prof I just saw your Home Theater setup in the HT Gallery and it looks very nice.

Any updates on a new screen material? Did you end up going with Dazian?
post #47 of 57 Old 06-10-07, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Thanks Bill..
Unfortunately it's all about to come down..I'm moving to a rural area and the room that I can use for the new theatre is a bit smaller than my present setup, so I'm going to have to modify the screenwall..
I will also have to reduce the size of my current screen back to a 100", to fit into the width of the room..and still allow enough room for the L&R speakers at the sides of the screen..

I will be staying with the Nulon screen material for the time being..It does an excellent job except for the crinkling that occurs when there's moisture in the air..But with a few minutes of heat blowing on the screen, it gets taught again..
This time when I refit the material, I'm going to dampen it before I stretch it onto the frame and I think this might cure the problem...
post #48 of 57 Old 06-11-07, 01:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Dampening it may work... like preshrinking it is that what you are thinking?

Make sure you keep everyone posted on your new setup! Moving really sucks though, between moving around because of the military, and now work relocations, we're sick of it and hope to never move again!
post #49 of 57 Old 06-11-07, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Dampening it may work... like preshrinking it is that what you are thinking?
Dampening the material actually stretches it slightly, so if i put it on under some tension while wet, it should become very taught when it dries..Then when there is any moisture in the air, it should still maintain some tension..At least that's what I'm hoping will happen...

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Make sure you keep everyone posted on your new setup! Moving really sucks though, between moving around because of the military, and now work relocations, we're sick of it and hope to never move again!
I know exactly what you mean...I've lost count of the number of times I've moved..And the older you get the harder it gets..
I'm hoping that this will be my LAST move...EVER..!!!
I will try and give updates of the progress of the new theatre, but it may be a problem now that I have to go back to stupid Dial-up..
post #50 of 57 Old 06-30-08, 12:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I'm not sure how much interest there is in fabric screens here at the Shack, but I was in Wal-Mart recently and had to go to the fabric/crafts area; while there I saw something that looked interesting and on a whim I got some "Costume Satin - Color 33". This is a light weight satin that seemed a nice gray color; it was also on sale for $2 a yard. The material is 44-45 inches wide, which could be a limiting factor to screen size.

Anyway, I thought it might be worth testing, and I was quite surprised. I simply taped a section of it to my shop wall. I tried projecting on the backside of the satin first since the front is so shiny I thought it would hot-spot. It looked pretty good, but then I flipped it over and used the front. This stuff holds some promise! No hot-spotting, and I didn't see much, if any, viewing cone.

Now the kicker; this satin measured almost N7, but the whites were almost the same as the spill-over image on my white wall!

I didn't take any photos because the fabric had lots of creases and sags in it, but for those that know how to work with fabrics (I don't) this material is a contender. I will have to say that in my very limited testing, I also found this satin to be very delicate and susceptible to damage.

On the plus side of things, this material also seems to be quite transparent to sound.

Here is a Spectral Reflectance Curve chart for the fabric. It is quite neutral through most of the spectrum only deviating greatly in the dark violet and deep red.