Back from vacation... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-07, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Back from vacation...

Okay I'm back from vacation in PA... was caught in that mess on the interstate for 11 hours myself! This week I plan on having a lot of posts up and I am trying to corral up some more people to join in over here that have done some very interesting work with DIY screens. (One person is the only one I know that has successfully made a retro reflective glass bead screen, as well as some other high end DIY screens…)

Hopefully we can kick start the DIY forum with some good threads in the next few weeks.

I talked to Sonnie about this one… I used to host a Friday Night Chat. It was an open format and mainly for people to get to know other people and their personalities. Sometimes in a forum it’s hard to tell when someone is joking and that can cause some misunderstandings as well as unnecessary arguments. Also people can ask questions and get real time answers, which is nice. From time to time we would have a ‘topic’ night too. This was not to replace the forum, rather supplement it, and any good ideas brought up in the chat would be made into a thread to allow everyone to read about it. If people are interested in something like this, I’ll set up a chat room and we can start having some live chats

I also plan on getting some experts to come here from time to time to answer questions. Seeing this is DIY, it won’t be people from the commercial screen community since this is totally against their purpose in life. I do have some good contacts I’ve made that are legitimate color scientists, so who would be better to ask questions to than that?

DIY isn’t just bed sheets and low quality like many people think. For years there has been a stigma that this is just cheap and only people that can’t afford the real thing go this route and that simply is no longer true. The new projectors that are out there and the ones coming out are phenomenal and a person could project onto a cinder block wall and get a decent image… but with just a little effort it can be a truly spectacular image. Some of these DIY applications really do stack up to commercial screens costing hundreds, even thousands of dollars more. This is almost a dirty little secret the commercial screen companies, especially the commercial screen paint compainies would rather people not know about.

In some of the upcoming threads there will be some technical jargon and specs, but I will try to keep that to what is only needed to back up what is being presented. There will be a thread explaining what the testing and data means, that way the specific threads won’t get bogged down with lots of questions and long explanations of what everything means. My goal is to stream line things and make it easy for people to find the information they need and then they can compare the various methods and make their own decisions. There is a solution and fit for everyone and every viewing setting out there, so it doesn’t come down to one application fits all needs. Anyone that tries to tell you that or sell you on that is full of bunk.

Here is to hopefully a great start on DIY here at HomeTheaterShack for 2007 and I think it will be a good year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-19-07, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

DIY... Always be skeptical...

That's a pretty harsh statement, but as far as forums go I think it is good advice. Even the things I present should be evaluated and taken into consideration to other methods. Me personally, anytime I run into someone that tells me they have the one solutution to everything, I immediately start my skeptic radar.

What DIY is to me is an offering and recommendations of solutions. Everyone has their own unique situations and what works for one person may not work for another. Take your time to read through things and evaulate what is being presented. If it sounds too good to be true, maybe it is... then again, it just may be that good too... but don't go blindly on what one person says. A quick analogy, I am a car buff among many things. My first car was a Porsche 914 with a slant nose kit, racing transmission and all tricked out with flares and 13" meat on the back. The guy that did all the mechanical work told me a story how someone came in one time with a 930 turbo for a tune up. They showed him their new gold plated tire pressure gauge. Ziggy (Real name Zigmund) took the gauge, leaned over and tested the tire pressure on his wife's Mustang 5.0. The guy freaked and said 'Hey, what are you doing? That's only to be used on Porsches and you'll break it!' Ziggy looked up and asked him how much he paid for it and the guy replied "$40" Can anyone say "Here's your sign"? Same thing goes here. Sometimes people try to sell a bill of goods that is nothing more than opinions and speculation, so please read and do some independant research and don't just jump on the first thing that sounds like a gold plated tire gauge.

Last edited by wbassett; 02-19-07 at 11:21 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-07, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Back from vacation...

Well I am still behind schedule as far as getting things transposed. We brought a very active little guys back up with us who loves to play (what 5 year old doesn't? ) So he's been keeping me busy.

The other reason is I have been archiving all my information and trying to reorgainize it a little better. Right now I have over 150 pages of information spread out over several Word documents. I am almost done gathering all my previous testing and information, so I promise it will be up sometime soon.

I got the main Laminate thread started. Here are some of the other threads coming:
  • Neutral Grays
  • Whites and other Painted Screen Options
  • Fabric Screens
  • The Layered Approach (Advanced Options)

I don't want to overwhelm the sticky area with too many stickies. I figure the main information will go there, and then in the main thread area there can be supporting threads to further discuss things. I have a laminate screen thread elsewhere and it has almost 1800 posts. It is actually too big now and almost impossible to find the information. I am trying to keep that from happening here with the main stickies.

If anyone has any ideas or wants to see a topic covered just shout it out!

post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-07, 05:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
I got the main Laminate thread started. Here are some of the other threads coming:
  • Neutral Grays
  • Whites and other Painted Screen Options
  • Fabric Screens
  • The Layered Approach (Advanced Options)

I don't want to overwhelm the sticky area with too many stickies. I figure the main information will go there, and then in the main thread area there can be supporting threads to further discuss things. I have a laminate screen thread elsewhere and it has almost 1800 posts. It is actually too big now and almost impossible to find the information. I am trying to keep that from happening here with the main stickies.

If anyone has any ideas or wants to see a topic covered just shout it out!
I think we also need a sticky for Plastic Screens...other than laminates..
The type of screens I'm referring to are..

Foamboard
Kappa board
PVC Foam
Sintra
Polywall
Acrylics
Do-able
Tile board
Melamine

Lumping these together in a sticky will save a lot of threads..
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-07, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

True and good idea. Do-able isn't laminate, neither is Parkland, but they both deserve their own thread and information, as well as the others you mentioned.

Last edited by wbassett; 03-05-07 at 06:15 PM.