Eazy , Quick ,cheap ,good- Preforming Screens - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-07, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

alan monro

Eazy , Quick ,cheap ,good- Preforming Screens

FOR ALL YOU AUSSIES LOOKING FOR A DIY SCREEN , LOOK NO MORE AS I HAVE DUN THE RUNNING AROUND FOR YA .AIM THE PROJECTOR AT THE WALL AND TURN IT ON . USEING A PENCIL AS BIRO BLEEDS THROUGH PAINT , MARK THE CORNERS OF WHERE THE SCREEN SHOULD BE . RUN DOWN TO BUNNINGS AND GRAB 2L OF BRITISH PAINTS 'ULTRA FLAT' . DONT KNOCK IT UNTILL YOU READ THIS. DULUX PAINTS WHO OWN BRITISH PAINTS MARKET 'ULTRA FLAT ESPECIALLY FOR HOME PROJECTION WALLS AND SCREENS . USING A ROLLER WACK IT ON . GIVE 2 COATS LEAVE IT FOR A DAY TO REALY HARDEN . USING THE 2' WIDE BLACK DUCT TAPE THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT YESTERDAY MASK IT UP . THEN USE . THE SCREEN BEING WHITE SHOULD BE USED IN THE DARK .I HAVE DUN THIS AND YOU WILL BE PLEASENTLY SURPRISED WHOW GOOD IT WORKS . YOU WOULDNT WANT ANY BETTER . GIVE. IT A GO . KIND REGARDS ALAN

Last edited by alan monro; 05-15-07 at 05:12 AM. Reason: TERRIBLE SPELLING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-07, 06:33 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Eazy , Quick ,cheap ,good- Preforming Screens

Quote:
alan monro wrote: View Post
FOR ALL YOU AUSSIES LOOKING FOR A DIY SCREEN , LOOK NO MORE AS I HAVE DUN THE RUNNING AROUND FOR YA .AIM THE PROJECTOR AT THE WALL AND TURN IT ON . USEING A PENCIL AS BIRO BLEEDS THROUGH PAINT , MARK THE CORNERS OF WHERE THE SCREEN SHOULD BE . RUN DOWN TO BUNNINGS AND GRAB 2L OF BRITISH PAINTS 'ULTRA FLAT' . DONT KNOCK IT UNTILL YOU READ THIS. DULUX PAINTS WHO OWN BRITISH PAINTS MARKET 'ULTRA FLAT ESPECIALLY FOR HOME PROJECTION WALLS AND SCREENS . USING A ROLLER WACK IT ON . GIVE 2 COATS LEAVE IT FOR A DAY TO REALY HARDEN . USING THE 2' WIDE BLACK DUCT TAPE THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT YESTERDAY MASK IT UP . THEN USE . THE SCREEN BEING WHITE SHOULD BE USED IN THE DARK .I HAVE DUN THIS AND YOU WILL BE PLEASENTLY SURPRISED WHOW GOOD IT WORKS . YOU WOULDNT WANT ANY BETTER . GIVE. IT A GO . KIND REGARDS ALAN
Thanks for the tip Alan..Sounds like a simple solution for a plain white screen..
Have you compared the BP ultra flat white paint against any other brands?
How affective is the duct tape in absorbing light spill?
BTW...What size screen did you paint on the wall?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-07, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

alan monro

Prof. I have looked at & asked nearly everyone and almost gave up hope of finding a cheap, easy to get, purpose made paint until i came across a Delux Paint™ technician and he asked me why i havn't tried the one above.

As far as i know, there isn't any other purpose-built brands in Aus.
The duct tape is shiny but, it looks good.
After a few minutes, you don't notice it. (its also fairly cheap and looks great when the lights are on)
I suppose anything else could be used for the boarder.
That's not a real big issue but, say if one wants to use velvet; the price could be a problem.
The screen size was 120".
My screen that i am making just at this time is 106".

Alan.

ps: my friends think the screen looks fantastic.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-07, 06:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Do you guys have access to black hockey tape? Or black tape for baseball bats or anything of that nature? Some people have used hockey tape as a very inexpensive temporary black border.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-18-07, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

alan monro

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Do you guys have access to black hockey tape? Or black tape for baseball bats or anything of that nature? Some people have used hockey tape as a very inexpensive temporary black border.
Bill, I will look into sports tape and see what i can find. Thank you, Kind regards Alan
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-07, 08:43 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

Alan, could you provide a link to the manufacturer with the promotional information on this paint?

I would also be very interested to know what tint, if any was used in the ultra flat white base?

Thanks
Todd
post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-07, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

alan monro

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
Alan, could you provide a link to the manufacturer with the promotional information on this paint?

I would also be very interested to know what tint, if any was used in the ultra flat white base?

Thanks
Todd
Todd , Dulux customer service is the link . And according to the technician no tinting added . By the way , two coats on raw plaster board is perfect . around $34 for 2L . Enough for 4 coats on my 106'' screen . Kind regards, Alan.