Screen types... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-11, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Screen types...

I just bought a JVC DLA-HD250 and I am looking for a 125 - 130" screen to go with it. After doing some research, I am realizing that there are a lot more screen choices and the process has got me going crazy. Initially I was considering the Da Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision or High Power screens, but I've been researching DIY wall paint options thanks to this website. The obvious benefits to DIY is the huge cost savings and the fact that I can paint over it if I don't like it. The disadvantage is that it may take some time.

Is it safe to assume that the picture quality between a DIY painted screen and manufactured screen will be comparable? Are there any other disadvantages to going DIY?

Don't know if this will matter, but room has beige walls, with off-white carpets, and white ceilings (not ideal), but otherwise has good light control.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-25-11, 03:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Screen types...

Quote:
jhan1000 wrote: View Post
I just bought a JVC DLA-HD250 and I am looking for a 125 - 130" screen to go with it. After doing some research, I am realizing that there are a lot more screen choices and the process has got me going crazy. Initially I was considering the Da Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision or High Power screens, but I've been researching DIY wall paint options thanks to this website. The obvious benefits to DIY is the huge cost savings and the fact that I can paint over it if I don't like it. The disadvantage is that it may take some time.
First off, I commend you for actually taking the time to look into what screen type would be best for your HT situation. Way too many people just settle for what a salesperson recommends to them or what type of screen a friend may be using.

The advantage of commercial screens are that they are fast to put up and require no building or painting skills. For many people these are big issues. The disadvantages of commercial screens are that they are expensive, sometimes greatly so, and really only fit a small number of HT situations to a tee.

The advantages of DIY screens are that they are less expensive (if you count your labor as free), they can be custom tailored to fit your HT situation and the sense of pride and accomplishment is very high. The disadvantages of DIY screens are they do demand a certain amount of skill when it comes to painting, or building a frame, and they take time to make. Also, niche hi-tech commercial screens such as the Black Diamond, SuperNova and retroreflective screens like the High Power can't be made at home.

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that the picture quality between a DIY painted screen and manufactured screen will be comparable? Are there any other disadvantages to going DIY?
The image quality between commercial and DIY screens should be very comparable. The main drawback to DIY screens is the physical labor involved in making them.

Quote:
Don't know if this will matter, but room has beige walls, with off-white carpets, and white ceilings (not ideal), but otherwise has good light control.
A lot will depend on how light or dark those beige walls are. The closer the edge of the active screen is to bright surfaces the more the light reflected off those surfaces will tend to bounce back onto the screen reducing image contrast.

I haven't been able to find an actual review of your PJ so I'm just going by the PC calculator. Going by it you will have ~7 fL of image brightness with a 130" 16x9 screen, this isn't a bright image. In your situation I would mount the PJ as close to the screen as possible (12' 10") which would bump you up to 10 fL. BTW the recommended fL range is 12 to 16.

Unless you could use a smaller screen (around 104") you will be limited to a white or very light gray screen. In commercial screens you would be limited to a white screen (unless Mech knows of a N9 commercial screen that I don't).

If you don't need a wide viewing angle so the whole room sees the same image brightness you could go with a retroreflective screen like the High Power. The problem there is that your PJ will have to be placed as close to your seated viewing height as possible to take advantage of the retroreflection (the light bounces straight back toward the light source).

Quote:
Thanks!
No problem!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-11, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Initially, the calculator turned me away from the JVC DLA-HD250, because of the supposed lack of lumens. However, I've been told that the JVC DLA-HD250 can put out about 700 lumens in it's "best" mode and that the projector calculator is not accurate for this model. For a 126" Diagonal screen, I calculated that I will have about 15fL provided that my math is correct (which is usually questionable since my wife doesn't allow me to calculate tips). FWIW, I have the JVC projected on drawing paper (125" Diagonal) and it looks bright enough compared with plasma TV

The projector will be placed above our heads since we are limited by the ceiling fan that my wife does not want to get rid of. That's why I was considering getting the Da Lite HP. With that said, the DIY route sounds awfully appealing because of the price. Decisions decisions...

Thanks again for the detailed response!

post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-11, 04:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
jhan1000 wrote: View Post
Initially, the calculator turned me away from the JVC DLA-HD250, because of the supposed lack of lumens. However, I've been told that the JVC DLA-HD250 can put out about 700 lumens in it's "best" mode and that the projector calculator is not accurate for this model. For a 126" Diagonal screen, I calculated that I will have about 15fL provided that my math is correct (which is usually questionable since my wife doesn't allow me to calculate tips). FWIW, I have the JVC projected on drawing paper (125" Diagonal) and it looks bright enough compared with plasma TV
I've heard that most calculators undervalue JVC PJ's, but to make matters sticky I've also heard that JVC has started to use the same over-inflated specs as their competitors. I don't know which camp the DLA-HD250 falls into. Assuming a true brightness of 700 lumens a 125" screen would give you 15.2 fL and a 130" would give 13.9 fL of image brightness.

Quote:
The projector will be placed above our heads since we are limited by the ceiling fan that my wife does not want to get rid of. That's why I was considering getting the Da Lite HP. With that said, the DIY route sounds awfully appealing because of the price. Decisions decisions...
If you mount your PJ about eye-height and go with a HP screen you will get a very bright image as long as you stay close to being on-axis with the PJ, the farther you move off-axis the dimmer the image will be. However, with the revised fL numbers above you really don't need a HP, but this is quite subjective.

For a simple paint solution I would recommend Valspar Ultra Premium interior latex in eggshell finish tinted to match Glidden 'Snowfield'. This is about a N8.5 neutral gray paint. If you would rather use a different brand of paint I would recommend the same color, but in a flat or matte finish since some eggshell finishes in other brands are too shiny and will hot spot.

Of our own reflectively enhanced screen mixes I would recommend Cream&Sugar™ Ultra. This is a light gray N9.2 paint that has a gain of about 1.0, but it can be made darker by adding some N6 neutral gray paint to the mix (see the Elektra™ threads) so you can literally darken the mix to the shade you desire.

Quote:
Thanks again for the detailed response!
Again no problem! We try to help people here rather than flog a particular line of screen mixes.