Fixed Screen Art - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 06-05-07, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Fixed Screen Art

So I tried to float this idea elswhere with little succes but maybe it will find fertile ground here.

One of the problems with a big fixed screen is what to do with it when the projector is turned off. OK, maybe this is not such a big problem in a dedicated theater but more and more the front projection theater is integrated into family and living rooms.

The idea is what to do to make the screen a piece of art when not in use. I'm not talking about covering it with something, I want people to think about active art. For example a slowly pulsing waving sheet of mutlicolored light that resembles the northern lights.

If you have an old projector with a burnt out bulb, could you rig up a common light bulb just bright enough to project something like the visualizations in Windows Media Player.

Give it some thought and I will go get some links to equipment that might be useful for this project.

Here is a really simple example of a device that might be useful: Check It Out!

Last edited by Tiddler; 06-07-07 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-07-07, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Re: Fixed Screen Art

Here are a couple of devices one might use to creat a pleasant image on the unused fixed screen:
Emmerald-Innovations - Holiday Projector
I spoke to the product development department and they told me they have just introduced an LED version of this projector.

Wal-Mart, Solar Luminary

Martin Mania DC2 Effect Lighting

3D GREEN BEAM HOME LASER SHOW

MoMoLight
This could be adapted to work with a fixed screen and images on the PC.

DIY Mirror Ball LED Lights

Sound To Light

TrikLits

Red Laserbot

Colorsplash Jr.

and a whole lot more . . .

Lighting Moon Bug

Lighting Warrior

How about it all you electronic DIY wizards out there? Surely there is something you could come up with that uses those LEDs that change color. If you mounted them along the inside edge of the screen boarder and had groups of them slowly changing colors or pulsing in waves across the screen.
Make An RGB Controller

Last edited by Tiddler; 06-07-07 at 09:27 AM.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-07-07, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

It does not get any easier than this folks!

Click Image To Enlarge!

The drawing did not show it very well but you should actually get combination colors where the beams overlap. Of course if you get some of the lights that change color slowly then it becomes an active light display.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-07-07, 10:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

I agree that this topic didn't get as much attention as it could of or should of elsewhere.

This is a very interesting topic that I have heard serveral people complain about. Granted, some people do like having a noticable and pronouced screen on their wall... in a way it just screams "I have a Home Theater!" but many people like things to be aesthetically pleasing and blend in with the decor.

I like the ideas that you are showing that can be done inexpensively and anyone can easily set them up.

My ultimate screen is going to be a bit complex and with all the things I have on the burner right now, sometimes I think I will never get to building it- so these ideas are very interesting.

My plans (whenever I can get to them) has several items I want:
  1. Center Channel Speaker built into the black trim border
  2. A retractable wall mural, that when the screen isn't being used it looks like I have a framed tapestry on the wall and not a screen. (I thought that would match my sword collection nicely )
  3. A remote controlled masking system
  4. A slotted track system so I can quickly change screens for testing purposes

That's my dream screen frame. The speaker in the frame isn't as crazy as it sounds. Da-lite actually has one that uses JBL speakers. Since I have Bose 501's as my mains (yes they are old... yes they are huge... but they sound incredible for both music and movies) a VCS-10 center, and soon 301's in the back, the VCS-10 is actually perfect size to incorporate in the bottom border of the screen.

If anyone asks "Why Bose?" I got the 501's back in '86 for $45 and refurbished them myself and have yet to hear a smaller 'cube' or fancy slim tower speaker give the same sound and bass. Personally I am not a fan of the newer Bose line, but that is just a personal preference on my part.

Anyway, I digressed. It will obvously be quite awhile before I get the above dream screen built, so I am actually looking at some of the links and ideas you have posted here. Probably a laser show or something like that since it would be a daytime thing. At night I am watching movies and the decorative aspect of it would be shut off. I'm still looking through your links though... lotsa neat stuff!
post #6 of 17 Old 06-07-07, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

If you go to Amazon and search for any of the following you will see some interesting lighting products for home theater use.
  • Mood Lighting
  • LED Lighting
  • Color Lighting
  • Light Show
  • lightshow

I ran across this while looking at Amazon: Hasbro ZoomBox Projector ~$150
It would be ok to project soothing color patterns etc.

Last edited by Tiddler; 06-08-07 at 10:39 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-16-07, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

For those who have finished making or installing their screen there is more fun to be had. Review this thread and dazzle us with your more artistic side. Forget about WAF (wife approved factor) we're going for WWSMF (wife wants some more factor). Show her a little of your artistic side and you will have her begging for more, Eh!

More painting, more faux finishes, more color coordinated furnishings, more frilly stuff where there should be nice clean lines, .........

Last edited by Tiddler; 08-16-07 at 11:21 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-29-07, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: Fixed Screen Art

I made up this drawing of an idea that has been rolling around in the back of my mind and thought I would share it with you:

I have also seen a nice idea that looked like two roman pillars with the screen suspended between them. I'm sure there must be a lot of ideas rolling around in people's minds about new and interesting ways to make the screen and border a little more interesting than a gray rectangle with a black outline.

Anyone else?
post #9 of 17 Old 09-08-07, 10:35 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
I made up this drawing of an idea that has been rolling around in the back of my mind and thought I would share it with you:

I have also seen a nice idea that looked like two roman pillars with the screen suspended between them. I'm sure there must be a lot of ideas rolling around in people's minds about new and interesting ways to make the screen and border a little more interesting than a gray rectangle with a black outline.

Anyone else?
This post of Todd's was the inspiration for my front wall design....I was thinking of making the walls dark brown with a bit of a beige/tan accent, but have decided on black as the main color instead of dark brown.

Here is what the screen wall will look like:

After I made this wall design, I started thinking that maybe, subliminally, the HTS logo (with the spotlights) also had a bearing on the design. The lighter color is intended to give the feel of the light being projected in the theater.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-09-07, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Is the size of the screen and wall size accurate?

Include black boxes to represent your front and center speakers. Also add any other items that will be at the front.