Screen assistance - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 08:04 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Screen assistance

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
You should consider painting the screen with Sherwin Williams "Gray Screen".

Take a look at some of these high ambient light screen shots that wbasset posted.

I believe wbassett got it in a matte finish that is quite washable too.
Todd I would have suggested GS, but his friend sounds like he wants to cut costs and corners as much as possible, and seeing Gray Screen is around $42 a gallon and you can't just get a quart, it sounds like that's more than he wants to spend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 08:42 AM
Banned!
Tiddler

I wonder if the Behr UPW Enamel in a matte finish would be similar. A quart tint of 0 6 0 LB + 0 2 0 YO would be reasonably neutral. The Behr enamels are supposed to be washable and more durable. I just know the white Do-able is not going to workout very well in this setup.

Actually another approach would be to go with the Do-able and when the guy realizes it aint so good Mike saves the day with a couple of coats of Behr Matte Poly with Delta Silver Metallic. I should have tried some variations with matte poly, faux glaze and silver metallic that may be even better.

I know some of you may recognize the use of Faux Glaze and Silver Metallic, and no this is not my creation and I take no credit for the use of this combination of paint products. I am however going to do some experimenting with these type of clear, tinted, and frosting like top coats. I will present my observations in the Clear Coat Experimentation thread.
post #33 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 08:53 AM
Banned!
Tiddler

I just skimmed through the thread but I can't find a posting of the project he is using.

What projector is being considered for this application?

post #34 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 09:17 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

Not sure of the projector. My buddy is going thru some of his sources, and some of you foolks have been kind enough to throw some suggestions my way.

We will do some kind of pull down screen.I'm suggesting a tensioned one, and would like to see at least 100". We could go more than that, but we have to take all the measurements into consideration before we make a decision. Can't make it too big since most people will sitting between the PJ and the screen almost at the same level due to the fact that we are building this into the porch. If it were reversed and out in the yard, size would not be an option.
post #35 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 09:39 AM
Banned!
Tiddler

The smaller size will actually help this situation. Smaller screen means higher light density, which equals a brighter image.
post #36 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 10:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
I wonder if the Behr UPW Enamel in a matte finish would be similar. A quart tint of 0 6 0 LB + 0 2 0 YO would be reasonably neutral. The Behr enamels are supposed to be washable and more durable. I just know the white Do-able is not going to workout very well in this setup.

Actually another approach would be to go with the Do-able and when the guy realizes it aint so good Mike saves the day with a couple of coats of Behr Matte Poly with Delta Silver Metallic. I should have tried some variations with matte poly, faux glaze and silver metallic that may be even better.

I know some of you may recognize the use of Faux Glaze and Silver Metallic, and no this is not my creation and I take no credit for the use of this combination of paint products. I am however going to do some experimenting with these type of clear, tinted, and frosting like top coats. I will present my observations in the Clear Coat Experimentation thread.
Yeah it might be similar but at this point I really don't know and can't say with certainty. I know Winter Mountain is extremely neutral (believe it or not it came in more neutral than GTI N8, and that was from the numbers provided directly from GTI's lab), plus for under $10 it's pretty hard to deviate from a known right now for this situation. If EchoMike were doing this for himself and not a friend, I'd say do some experimenting/testing, but I don't think he has that leeway.

I am still concerned about how well Do-able is going to stand up to being outside all the time. If it turns out it can handle the elements that's great news. Personally if I were using Do-able, I'd keep the white side as is for night viewing, and then paint the back side for daytime viewing. I know someone that did exactly that for a flippable screen and they are very happy with it, but it is also being used indoors and not outside exposed to the weather.
post #37 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 10:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
EchoMike wrote: View Post
Not sure of the projector. My buddy is going thru some of his sources, and some of you foolks have been kind enough to throw some suggestions my way.

We will do some kind of pull down screen.I'm suggesting a tensioned one, and would like to see at least 100". We could go more than that, but we have to take all the measurements into consideration before we make a decision. Can't make it too big since most people will sitting between the PJ and the screen almost at the same level due to the fact that we are building this into the porch. If it were reversed and out in the yard, size would not be an option.
If you could mount the projector in the patio you could do a rear projection setup, that way there is no concern about people walking in front of the projector. Plus the patio itself will provide some light blockage. There are many options but it sounds like you have some restrictions and parameters you have to deal with too.
post #38 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 10:58 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

Rear projection has been suggested, but the patio is approx 5-6 feet wide from the house to the yard. There is a picture of it somewhere further up in the post. So I'm not sure how big the display area would be at that point.
Now just to clarify, wha you say rear projection I'm guessing we are talking about using a screen material that is slightly opaque so that you point the projector at the back of the screen, but the image is vissible on the front. Correct?
post #39 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 11:35 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Correct, but that throw distance isn't going to work.
post #40 of 41 Old 06-14-07, 11:59 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

I didn't think so.