Screen assistance - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 08:14 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

Screen assistance

Got a project for a customer who wants to setup a portable projector outside and have a screen mounted for veiwing of various programming (DVDs, sports, whatever). With this screen being outside, and obviously going anywhere from daylight to night time is there any type of screen that would work well in this situation? I'm pretty sure no matter what screen or projector (within reason) outdoors daylight viewing is not gonna be preferable, but I'd like to get soemthing that will work as well as it can.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 09:08 AM

Re: Screen assistance

Just spit-balling here. If you used a tent and a rear projection screen in the doorway, with a fly over it, that would be like a huge RPTV with a sun visor. You would still need a bright pj and then we would have to find a good material for rear projection. I would chose a high output pj with moderate CR, so like 3000 Lumens and 1000:1 CR sort of ball park.

This is a tough one though, I think we should break up into groups.
post #3 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 09:24 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

LOL!!! RED TEAM GO!!!

I wish it were that simple. Custoemr has built an "outdoor kitchen" wants to set a portable projector on the couter top, and point it at a projector screen that we will mount in his patio ceiling. The area is open air.

I may try to see if we can't just convince him to go with a nice flat screen TV, but that will be a hard sell, unless I can show him that they cost about the same. But then agian it's easier to justify a small projector, rather than an entire TV.

He has good intentions, but I don't think he'll be happy with it except at night.

post #4 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 09:49 AM

Quote:
EchoMike wrote: View Post
I may try to see if we can't just convince him to go with a nice flat screen TV, but that will be a hard sell, unless I can show him that they cost about the same. But then agian it's easier to justify a small projector, rather than an entire TV.

He has good intentions, but I don't think he'll be happy with it except at night.
A small projector is not capable of doing anything by itself. You will have to figure in the cost of a signal source etc.

A projector capable of producing anything worth the bother is probably going to cost as much as a nice 52" LCD HDTV. A brand TV will produce a better image then he will get in daylight conditions outside with a projector.

Maybe you need to show him what to expect.
post #5 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 10:26 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
EchoMike wrote: View Post
That will be a definite. The enemy of any projector setup is ambient light, and sunlight is the worse, it's a projector killer... like kryptonite is to Superman.

Sounds like an outdoor theater to me!

Outdoor theaters are more of a fun aspect than super high resolutions, so to me it's sounding like this person wants a big image that has kind of a drive in feel, is that a close assumption? If so, and since they already ran coax and seem set on that as what will feed the projector it doesn't sound like they are expecting a high end dedicated theater setup, or is he/she?

There are a lot of cool things a person can do as far as an outdoor theater, you can even buy old drive-in speakers complete with the stands and they aren't that expensive. Most don't work, but I personally wouldn't use them for the audio anyway, just for decor.

I'm still working on the whole coax feed issue. I guess it would be best to describe what they want and more important expect. If they are expecting something to watch the ball games on Sunday while doing an afternoon cookout, a projector system isn't going to please them at all.

Tiddler is right, the only way they are going to be able to use this during the day will be to set up some sort of enclosed rear projection system, or go with a 5000 lumen projector (and even then its going to wash out with strong sunlight). Don't worry about CR, you're going to want lumens that's for sure.

Let's start here... what is the project budget? If you say a grand, I'm going to say go to Sam's Club and get a set there... I saw a 60" crt 1080i RPTV there for around a grand. Of course I don't know how long that would last outside exposed to the elements... 720p sets are pretty inexpensive now too, so maybe an enclosure to protect it from the weather, but neither of those options are very 'stealth' and would require permanant space.

This will be an interesting project. Get rid of that coax though! Or get a converter box and let's start with what the project budget is and then we can look at projectors.

You could check into a Planar screen, but they are probably outside the budget and also not retractable (not the one I am thinking of at least).

To quote Number 5 from Short Circuit "Need more input Stephanie!"
post #6 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 10:27 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

Hopefully we can communicate that to him when we see him tonight.
post #7 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 10:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
A projector capable of producing anything worth the bother is probably going to cost as much as a nice 52" LCD HDTV.
I've seen some pretty big 720p HDTVs down at Sam's Club for around the $700-800 price, it's going to be impossible to get a light cannon projector for that price unless it's a used one.

Tiddler I agree though, this is starting to sound more and more like an RPTV or LCD setup. Still... something has to be done about that coax only video source.

EchoMike, in all seriousness, get a full budget and expectations and I'm sure we can come up with something.
post #8 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 10:42 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

WBASSET, budget has not really been discussed yet. Tonight will be the first face to face meeting about it. The guy is a friend of mine, and we've talked about what he wants. But whne I ask about budget, he never really gices me an answer. Personally I know that at this point money is not a hurdle. The guy has plenty, but at the same time he doesn't seem to be excited about really exploring alot of options. Plus since he ddn;t bring us in until 3/4 of the way thru, I'm not sure how much flexibility we're gonna have.
You pretty much nailed it on the head though. Lets say football games during a cookout. Could be some nite time movie parties or something like that. I agree with the coax, not even my 3rd option to transmit video signal. Unless we could get him to call the satellit company, get another reciever, and run THAT coax to the counter and then lpug that in the sat box, and come out to a projector with whatever we want. But then again, by te tme you get all that done and paid for we might as well have just bout a TV.
It being outside, it's hard to sell him on a TV due to the weather and what not, and with the construction mostly finished we have just about zero options to get some kind of weatherproof cabiet built. My freind that I do this with is a better salesman than I am so hopefully he can communicate our concerns, and offer some creative solutions.
Even so, is there a length limitation on component, or even HDMI? I'm sure there has to be.
HDMI wouldn't work anyway, becaus eI'm posotive that his receiver, nor his TV has HDMI.
He has an idea in his head on what he wants, but he's not educated enuf to really understand the challenges. If I had my way, I'd get him a nice receiver, multi zones, and at least go with component.
Either way it's not gonna be easy. But I'm always up for a challenge
post #9 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 10:43 AM

Is there a large picture window visible from the outside kitchen area?

If so you could have a retractible rear projection screen inside the house. The projector would also be inside the house. If there was an awning over the window this might work.

I have also seen people talking about using their garage as a huge RPTV. The projector is in the garage safe and the screen is pulled down in place of the garage door. Maybe you could do something similar with a garden shed or pool change house.
post #10 of 41 Old 06-12-07, 10:44 AM
EchoMike
Inactive

And can I just say...

It's nice to be on a forum with ADULTS. So disheartening to be online, and have every question turn into a flame war with insults going back and forth.

How refreshing. LOL