What Do You Want To See? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
Tiddler

Re: What Do You Want To See?

Quote:
titch-- wrote: View Post
Me I know nothing about paints, so I like to read myself. If I do have any questions I will ask though.

My diy screen is Kilz with 2 coats of 2x poly over it.
Is the 2x poly two 2oz. bottles of Folkart Metallic White Pearl added to the Quart of Behr Matte Polyurethane #780?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 05:17 PM
Shackster
Trevor

Yes it is
post #13 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
Tiddler

titch, is it white or gray? I know I should remember but I don't.

post #14 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
Tiddler

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Kilz is white. If that's what you're referring to.
I was wondering if he had it tinted.
post #15 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 08:46 PM
Shackster
Trevor

Its just straight Kilz, no tint. If I remember correctly I think its kind of off white.

Think I should of done something with it?
post #16 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 09:00 PM
Shackster
Trevor

Im not trying to derail your topic here, just let me know if I should make another topic for this.

I was just looking over wbassett's sticky thread on "Quick DIY 101- Some Definitions and Acronyms" and I came across this

UPW- Behr Ultra Pure White- a step up from Kilz2 and is a little whiter and brighter and has a higher gain.
Pros: $12 a quart, so still relatively inexpensive. Provides excellent color reproduction. Fast and easy screen to put up.
Cons: Not ambient light friendly. Some find it harder to roll without leaving roller marks (thicker paint).

Before I go any further I should say that Im finding my screen not as bright as I would hoped for. So would UPW be a better base for me then?

thx

btw Im using Kilz not Kilz2.
post #17 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
Tiddler

I don't know because I have never worked with Kilz or Kilz2. Maybe Bill has more info on that.

I asked you what you want to see. This is what you want to see so it's on topic. If we get to any kind of conclusions or solutions that people will benefit from a thread with a more apropriate name would be good to help people find info on Kilz vs UPW.

You might find the Behr Facts About Sheen thread interesting.
post #18 of 26 Old 07-03-07, 09:52 PM
Shackster
Trevor

I did and it was a good read, thx. Its looking good. Now just waiting for the weekend to see the results.

I should also clarify I used the Kilz premium not the original.
post #19 of 26 Old 07-04-07, 09:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
That's cool! But if you think I'm missing something or you have any suggestions, please let me know. Often a question or suggestion leads to trying something new or in some cases simply stumbling onto something.
From my point of view, I'm personally familiar with most types of DIY screens as presented here and elswhere, and some different ones that have been posted on Australian forums..

I'm about to make a new screen myself, and I've been weighing up the pro's and cons of each type before making a decision as to which type I'm going with..

I have found the information that you and wbassett have posted very helpful in evaluating which type of DIY screen is going to best suit me..
I may not go with a particular type that you and Bill have presented, but that information will have helped me to come to a decision, and will for anyone who is considering a DIY screen..

Also, there may be others on this forum at the moment who have found that information helpful and are proceeding with their screens, but haven't posted to say so..

I have found from past experience, that when I've posted information on a particular design of DIY screen, there is sometimes quite a delay before you have anyone respond to that information, and some people prefer to PM rather than directly respond to the forum as I'm sure you are well aware of..

Any information that a member posts will help someone at some time, and isn't that what it's all about?...Although I must admit, it's nice to get an immediate response directly on the forum..
post #20 of 26 Old 07-05-07, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
Tiddler

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Any information that a member posts will help someone at some time, and isn't that what it's all about?...Although I must admit, it's nice to get an immediate response directly on the forum..
I get the feeling that some folks may have interpreted this as a fishing for compliments or gratitude effort. It must be my writing style or choice of words that leads to this type of reaction. So let me restate the reason for this thread.

It is my belief that the vast majority of visitors to a site like this just want to see what their options are and then clear instructions on how to implement their choice. That belief leads me to be concern about starting threads to share brain storming, experimenting, development, and theoretical discussions. I try to clearly distinguish the type of thread by the contents of its title. While I may stray from my own naming conventions for experimentation threads I always identify threads that contain a DIY Screen "SOLUTION". So that is how I try to make sure the majority of our visitors can find the solutions that I have offered up.

The real motivation for asking for input was to avoid the situation where I am posting too much in the way of experimentation logging. This has met with some rather nasty criticism in the past and I would not like to find out after the fact that I have been annoying people.

While I do appreciate the positive feedback and gratitude that some successful implementers pass on, I am more interested in negative feedback. The best example of that I can think of involved the Basic Roller Painting Instruction post. Originally it was only text instructions. Actually the original instructions were for a two roller method employing a regular fuzzy roller and a 6" foam trim roller for smoothing. One day I received some feedback from an individual who had applied the paint to the screen using the fuzzy roller and then went back and down rolled the whole screen with the trim roller. Unfortunately this was absolutely not what the instructions were meant to convey.

I recruited a neighbour and we did some painting and took photos. I spent the better part of the night rewriting the instructions complete photos. So that negative feedback was very much appreciated. That was also the moment when I realized the tremendous responsibility one takes on by posting any kind of instructions. It's not a legal responsibility but for any decent person there is a moral responsibility to make the instruction or solution information as clear and as accurate as possible. I had felt terrible about the loss of time and money this fellow had suffered because my instructions were not clearly written.

A couple of months after that I received a message from KristiSwallow. She had several questions about the Basic Roller Painting Instructions. It became obvious that the instruction were still not clear so I worked with Kristi and we rewrote the instructions. Again negative feedback that lead to a rewarding and very enjoyable collaboration. Fortunately we here at Home Theater Shack have Kristi's efforts available and will benefit greatly from it.

So please know that when I ask for feedback it is a genuine effort to make sure I am providing or withholding information as per the needs and interests of the members here. I am grateful for any feedback and my immediate concern is that I don't overwhelm this forum with useless information that some will view as self serving efforts to garner unwarranted attention.

"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and I am nursing more than one bite at the moment.

Last edited by Tiddler; 07-05-07 at 11:44 AM.