More questions for the experts... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 13 Old 07-31-07, 04:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: More questions for the experts...

With a 1.2 gain screen you're right on the cusp of the dividing line between 'Recommended image brightness for dark rooms' and 'Recommend higher brightness'

Are you painting your room? If so do what I recommend everyone do and that is put up a coat of Kilz2 and calibrate the projector. If you're painting the room anyway, this isn't that much extra work and it provides you with knowledge of what the projector can do on a standard 1.0 white reference type screen.

If you decide to go with a Designer White, you have some time to do the baseline calibration because it can take up to two weeks for the laminate to come in. Why HD is like that? I don't know. I just got two full 4x8 sheets of new colors directly from Wilsonart and they came in two days. My local Home Depot works it like this- they place their orders usually Monday by noon. Depending if the local Wilsonart distributor has Designer White in the size sheet you are ordering, it should arrive that Thursday, but you probably won't be notified that it's in until Friday. A 4x8 sheet is common stock and DW is a pretty common color, so it should be readily available.

Prices can vary from one area to another and even from one Home Depot to another. Typically they charge $1.66 a square foot but they add on a $20 handling fee. I heard some people report that they were charged a $25 handling fee. So a 4x8 sheet should cost you between $75 to $80. Look around though too, sometimes local kitchen stores have better prices. Wilsonart has a store/dealer locator you can check. It is definitely worth looking around because people in Maryland are able to get a 4x8 sheet for as little as $36.

This part is important- you want Designer White D354-60 in the General Purpose grade, NOT the thinner vertical grade. The -60 designates the matte finish which is what you want, and D354 is the code for Designer White.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 07-31-07, 05:04 PM
adguy
Inactive

Hi Bill

the room is beige with a white ceiling. I found 4 dealers near me, thanke for the link. I"ll make sure to use the 60!

I know i'm just scratchign the surface of what is out there. I'll probably be asking more questions soon

pictures coming!
post #13 of 13 Old 07-31-07, 05:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

I also see your projector does 1080p/24 Just some food for thought...

The PS3 is an outstanding Bluray player and has been compared to the $1500 Pioneer player. It also puts out 1080p/24, upconverts standard definition DVDs, and you can connect a USB hard drive to it and load up your SDVD collection and play them right from the hard drive as a Media Server. Plus there is a $100 price drop on the current PS3's... just something to think about since your projector can handle 1080p/24...

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken