Teaser of some new things coming - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 03:42 PM
Shackster
Ben

Re: Teaser of some new things coming

Is it some 5-50 micron AL2O3 shot blast beads? If I guessed right, what do I win?? I had to give myself a range on the bead size just to make sure I got it covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
benven wrote: View Post
Is it some 5-50 micron AL2O3 shot blast beads? If I guessed right, what do I win?? I had to give myself a range on the bead size just to make sure I got it covered.
No but you're thinking in the right direction. As far as winning lol, I doubt there is anything I could send you as a prize that you don't already have or is better than your own screen!

I'll give you a hint though, it was only $15 and anyone can get it, no special online ordering or anything like that.

I think it's fair to say what the sprayer I used/tested was.

Sherwin Williams carries it, and most paint stores do as well. They can also be ordered online, but you don't really want to have to wait for something to be shipped.

The main unit is around $6 and the power units are around $3-4. I tested this out of a curiosity and they do work, but it takes longer than rolling that's for sure, but it dries quicker. For most house paints that don't have a lot of clay, a simple thinning of 3 parts paint to 1 part water works fine. I went with 3 ounces of paint and 1.5 ounces of water to give a finner mist. The reason it took me 2 1/2 power units is because I replaced the power units well before they were dead to eliminate any chance of sputter when the propellant runs out. Is this a replacement for the Wagner? Certainly not, but it's also much cheaper and great for one time projects. I haven't tested it spraying poly yet, but also I have never had the need to apply poly to any of my screens. I suspect it won't do well with poly, it may but the spray pattern doesn't seem to be wide enough for a large area and with poly that could result in an uneven look to the surface, which will result in an uneven image.

Don't be disuaded from my comment that it takes longer than rolling, this will lay down a coating with virtually no detectable texture. There is a very very slight one but you have to get within an inch or so from the surface to see it. Compared to my rolled screen, which is pretty smooth, this looks like a an acrylic with the color impregnated in the material and not something appled after wards.

I rate it for value and end results, for ease of use.

I will be testing the Wagner soon and will have some tutorials on both, but I have to finish what I have on the plate right now first!

I'm not abandoning laminates or rolling, just that there are so many discussions and questions on this topic I felt it needed covered.

As far as sprayers and spraying, the best way to say it is what Quiggly said about pistols in Quiggly Down Under "never said I didn't know how to use one... said I never found much use for one."

Well, there are many uses for sprayers, but we'll cover that when the spraying thread is done.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #13 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 04:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
BTW, nobody has commented on my projector? That surprised me. A 250:1 business presentation projector...
Sorry, I just got off the floor thinking about what I spent on my AX100U vs something without the specs that the Panny boasts.

Of course, as we all know, CR is overrated if you have the light of even a single candle in the room...the human eye doesn't see a huge difference in contrast between a high-contrast and a low-contrast projector in that scenario.

(see, I actually read the paper that you recommended to me)

^ for mech...one good dancing banana deserves another...though one should note that the formation of my bananas is much more orderly.

post #14 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
cynical2 wrote: View Post
Sorry, I just got off the floor thinking about what I spent on my AX100U vs something without the specs that the Panny boasts.

Of course, as we all know, CR is overrated if you have the light of even a single candle in the room...the human eye doesn't see a huge difference in contrast between a high-contrast and a low-contrast projector in that scenario.

(see, I actually read the paper that you recommended to me)

^ for mech...one good dancing banana deserves another...though one should note that the formation of my bananas is much more orderly.
No no, my point wasn't bragging about my projector, I honestly wouldn't recommend it to someone unless they have totally uncontrollable ambient light issues. It is perfect for a large venue like a church and things like that. For HT use I usually recommend the AX100U for people that either have ambient lighting issues or like to watch things during the day. Besides it's out of production and new it went for $3,999, but you can find them on eBay now for as little as a couple hundred bucks.

What I was getting at is imagine a new projector that is built specifically for HT use on this. The point was showing more the prep and balance of the color. Although I do not have the exact color readings for this one yet, the source that it was matched to is very well balanced. The fact that I didn't need to change color settings, just a quick tweek of contrast and brightness tells me it is within our very close to our target range. We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

I will say this though, I was impressed enough that I am seriously thinking about changing my main screen. I probably won't though since I still do testing with it for extreme ambient lighting conditions. I may though make that slider frame I mentioned so I can easily pull a 106" version of this out and still have the GS behind it. Why not go reverse you may be thinking and put this up and slide the GS screen in and out? I use the GS for comparison testing so the front rail system would allow me to slide in half screen panels for full testing and comparison.

As far as the Panny goes, that is an excellent projector. Color QA and balance was done by Hollywood professionals and it is versitile enough to be used in dedicated HT setups or go all out power mode for game day. I was also looking at the Mits, but really leaned more towards the AX100U because its lens shift and other features make it more adaptable. Plus it is close spec wise for Lumens and I know my setup and that it would work well and I'd get the same performance during the day. Why didn't I get it? Bonus time I paid off some bills and got a 55" 1080p SXRD, BD and HD DVD player. Next year I was planning on getting it, but by then the 1080p projectors will be down in price so I am waiting to see what happens with them.

post #15 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 08:23 PM

I'm so excited to hear about the pending results. I just got my projector and am chomping at the bit to build a screen. I had thought I'd go with Fashion Gray, but will wait for your new research results now.

[BANANA]oh yea, here's my entry for the naming of the new laminate:

HTS.Silverlution: a revolution in screen material and the solution to your home theater needs.[/BANANA]

Last edited by rufinatti; 09-02-07 at 08:36 PM.
post #16 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
rufinatti wrote: View Post
I'm so excited to hear about the pending results. I just got my projector and am chomping at the bit to build a screen. I had thought I'd go with Fashion Gray, but will wait for your new research results now.

[BANANA]oh yea, here's my entry for the naming of the new laminate:

HTS.Silverlution: a revolution in screen material and the solution to your home theater needs.[/BANANA]
FG is an outstanding option, just ask mech.

We'll need to know what projector and what your room setup is like though to really nail down what the best options are.

Good name too!

I'll have a seperate thread for the new silver gray soon, I have to get my commercial reviews done first though and then on to that. New laminates are also coming up very soon too.

I have two test panels of the pigment free gray/silver drying right now and I have to say it's both interesting and weird at the same time. So far not wierd in a bad way, just what it's doing is weird!

post #17 of 79 Old 09-08-07, 01:46 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

I'm still sitting on the fence in regards to upgrading my Benjamin Moore "Pebble Beach" grey screen, with 2 top coats of Behr #780.
I've been reading threads in regards to newer, "better" performing screens, especially those that can be ROLLED(spraying in here would be a nightmare- and I used to spray for a living) effectively.

I like the looks of alot of the "Silver/Pearl" type applications out there, but so far nothing that can be rolled effectively, has JUMPED out at me(although the Pearl has some qualities I like- like real whites)...

So I'm watching this thread.

Keep up the good work guys, the effort is VERY appreciated by MANY, including MYSELF.

m
post #18 of 79 Old 09-08-07, 04:07 PM

Muzz, I'm sure there will be some great solutions coming in this forum.

Last edited by Tiddler; 09-10-07 at 05:03 PM.
post #19 of 79 Old 09-08-07, 09:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
I guess you have not read the Pearl Clear Coat thread yet?
I'm a painting amateur, and had no issue rolling the pearl topcoat in the thread Todd cited...nice and uniform, and I only used one coat. If you decide to use this application, and want the Pearlizing medium, you may find that you have to order it online if you live in the states. Todd can find it at Walmart in Canada, but I was unable to find it at any Walmarts (or Michaels, or Hobby House, or any other craft store) near Cincinnati.

Good luck!
post #20 of 79 Old 09-08-07, 10:19 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Yes, I have Todd, I see that you feel that afterall it seems no better than a lighter tone of Grey..