Teaser of some new things coming - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 79 Old 09-08-07, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Teaser of some new things coming

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
I'm going to tease a few things to the max while beta testing is being done and spectro readings taken.

Here is a new gray screen (actually I think I may have already posted this but have to check), and this one is made the conventional way, meaning pigment based... some screenies probably tonight of the non-pigment screen. This one looks very nice, and please note, I haven't re-calibrated my projector yet.

Here are a couple with a 60W room light on.

Lights back off...

Keep in mind this is a business projector that first sold in 2000 and only has a 250:1 contrast ratio. This is a simple one can solution that costs under $10 for a quart... and... I sprayed it with a disposable sprayer! It only used around 9 ounces of paint to make a full 4'x8' screen. This also rolls extremely well too, I just wanted to test something out is all.
Thought I would go ahead and post this, but state we're still testing it.

The BAC (Tint code) for this screen is
B 5 shots
E 1 shot

The base is EZF-P Pure White.

This is for a quart which is all a person needs for a screen if applied correctly.

Next is the BAC for Winter Mountain (Bullseye for D65 neutral at the N8 shade) but this is for a gallon...

1982 Winter Mountain
Pastel Base
B22
L24
R2

Don't bother trying to divide by 4 for a quart, let them do that with their computer. Winter Mountain isn't a custom tint, it is in their computer. IF your local True Value insists this color doesn't exist, have them call their headquarters and they will tell them how to make it. I spoke to the TV headquarters myself and confirmed this. They said if there were any problems to have the store call the headquarters.

Now, I want to emphasize something and that is projector Lumens. For an N8 shade you will need a fairly bright projector or whites will take a hit, but that also applies to commercial screens and not just DIY. Screens are only part of the equation. Lumens, lighting, screen size, and room setting all are factors. If you aren't sure, ask... there are lots of talented people on here that can answer those questions and help you in the right direction.

These are definitely different BACs but based on the Genesis of the top color it definitely warrants color balance testing. Can't really say where it came from right now though, but it performs very well. If anyone wants to test this, please keep in mind it's still in beta phase.

Here are a couple more shots I did last week with the new screen (before I destroyed it!) From the music video on Dukes of Hazzard.

Ambient light performance... nowhere near as good as my main screen, but medium to no ambient lighting this looked very very nice. Since that's how I do most if not all of my movie viewing with the projector, I actually thought about changing screens, and am still debating... and I must say, my main screen looks pretty good!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 Old 09-09-07, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

How about this one? I'll toss this out there to see if anyone is interested or not and if enough people are then I'll put this on the list of upcoming screen topics- an 'inviso' screen. What that is, and this isn't something new, at least one commercial screen paint company has this as an option, but we can do it with DIY too... first you put a magnetic paint base down that basically is the border area. Then you paint your screen paint over the entire wall, including the area with the magnetic paint.

For movie nights, you take a magnetic black border and just stick it to the wall, when the movie is over, you take it down and nobody even knows a screen is there. Some may like this idea and others actually like having a screen present. This definitely could be something of interest for those with multi purpose rooms and not a dedicated theater setup.

Anyway, if enough are interested, this is something we can work on presenting as well. I already know where to get the magnetic base paint so it's just a matter of putting together a presentation if people want this type of stuff presented.

post #23 of 79 Old 09-10-07, 06:33 PM

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Todd, any word on the Valspar paint yet? Still waiting to see something about that here. That would be a teaser!

mech
I'm sorry mech I don't understand the Valspar reference. If I lead you to believe I was going to investigate this product I do apologize. I vaguely recall someone asking or suggesting something about it but that's all.

post #24 of 79 Old 09-11-07, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Todd, do you remember what the name was? Cinema White or was it Cinema Gray?

post #25 of 79 Old 09-11-07, 09:01 AM

I'm pretty sure the Valspar product was Cinema Gray.

Are "Cinema White" and "Cinema Gray" valid tints for Valspar?

Has anyone been able to get the Glidden Dulux luminous paint that has the ceramic micro spheres in it?
post #26 of 79 Old 09-11-07, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Haven't been able to find that one yet, but Luminous White has mica, titanium oxide, and calcium carbonate in it, which is a very interesting combition too.

post #27 of 79 Old 09-12-07, 12:54 PM
Shackster
Garry

Quote:
wbassett wrote:
Thought I would go ahead and post this, but state we're still testing it.

The BAC (Tint code) for this screen is
B 5 shots
E 1 shot

The base is EZF-P Pure White.
B = lampblack
E = pthalo blue

Is this correct?

Garry
post #28 of 79 Old 09-12-07, 04:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
Garry,

I believe it is. Why? Obviously the base isn't completely neutral and the shot of pthalo blue does the trick. Kind of like the N7 UPW tint - making a neutral with a non neutral base. Of course I'm just speculating! I have no idea where the tint or color came from.

mech
In this case, I don't think it makes it neutral...will this one be tested?
post #29 of 79 Old 09-12-07, 05:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
I now have everything but one ingredient for the "advanced mix". I have Winter Mist, Winter Mountain, Gray Screen, Soothing White, and the "advanced mix" ingredients.

<snip>

I don't see myself getting to this for a couple of weeks though (it may be three). Winter and hunting season are coming up and I need to prepare for that as well.

Bear with me and we'll have the data for all of these at least by the second week of October. Not to mention a good comparison!

mech

post #30 of 79 Old 09-12-07, 05:53 PM

In this photo . . . .

. . . . I don't see any Folkart Pearlizing Medium. Are you going to try the Pearl Clear Coat?

I also noticed those rollers look orange or pink. The best rollers to apply these paints with are the synthetic white lint free low nap rollers. The pink/orange ones do tend to get clumpy.

You may have already looked into this but just in case you have not, go to the local vetrinaries office and see if you can buy some syringes with the longe plastic tip instead of a needle. It really makes mixing exact quantities easier. I found using measuring spoons just impossible with thick paints.

There is a syringe in this photo: