Teaser of some new things coming - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 79 Old 09-16-07, 11:38 PM

Re: Teaser of some new things coming

Mechman,

I see the EasyFlex tints in your list. There are three different sheens for base coats and four possible clear coats as part of the EasyFlex family of solutions. Have you decided which of these you will be testing?
  1. Behr UPW Flat Latex #1050
  2. Behr ULTRA UPW Flat Exterior #4850
  3. Behr UPW Flat Enamel #1850
  4. Behr Clear Matte Polyurethane #780 Top Coat
  5. 1xPearl Clear Coat (One 2oz. bottle Folkart Metallic White Pearl / Quart #780)
  6. 2xPearl Clear Coat (Two 2oz. bottles Folkart Metallic White Pearl / Quart #780)
  7. Pearlizing Clear Coat (One 2oz. bottle Folkart Pearlizing Medium / Quart #780)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

PigmentFree Gray

bit of a sneak preview, plus to let everyone know I'm not just sitting here doing nothing!

All of these are take with flash.
This is from around 5 feet away, with flash.

This is from around 10 feet back, again with flash.

And from around 15 feet away with flash.

In the last pic you both can see why my wife isn't very happy with me right now! Unfortunately, we live in a 160 plus year old victorian house.

The basement is a dirt floor basement and there is no power in the garage...the adjacent living room is the only area I have to spreadout and work in.

Anyway, this is a gray with no pigments and no craft paints. Blasted with flash from as close as 5 feet and as far as 15 feet there is no real discernible hot spotting, so at least that's a good first thing. I have to do some image tests with the projector and if they look good we'll get this color tested. Again, there were no pigments used to make this at all and the only paint used was Kilz2 as the white base. Interesting isn't it?

I see some roller lines with the flash pics, but not by eye. Still, I'll refine this to where it rolls smooth. I think I need to actually strain the main ingredient before mixing.

Why do this when we have neutrals already? Well some people only seem to want to look at 'advance' mixes. No craft paints or faux finishes involved with this at all... total cost, $25. BUT... both components are something most guys will find a use for the leftovers for other things around the house. This is manly stuff that's for sure

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #43 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 06:17 AM

Bill,

You have mentioned that there is no pigment in the paint before but would that not mean it should be clear? Please try to explain this one to me again. I'm just not getting it.

post #44 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 06:55 AM

From wikipedia "Pigment is a material that changes the color of light it reflects as the result of selective color absorption."

The Masterchem data sheet for Kilz2 indicates there is 10 - 30 percent Titanium dioxide in the primer. That is a pigment. Kilz2 Primer is a known matte white so you have obviously added something to the paint that absorbs light there by making it look gray.

So what did you add?
post #45 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
Bill,

You have mentioned that there is no pigment in the paint before but would that not mean it should be clear? Please try to explain this one to me again. I'm just not getting it.
We're both right in ways... I know the definition of pigment and yes even Kilz2 and all base paints have something added to the binder to give it a white appearance.

You're definition from Wikipedia is true, but my point on this is it isn't any type of conventional gray. There is no lamp black, raw umber, Yellow or any pigments from the mixing machine. Also there were no other latex paints, craft paints, faux paints or anything of that nature added. So no normal paint pigments- not one shot of anything from the mixing machine, and as I mentioned, no other latex paints added. In that sense I thought it was very interesting.

post #46 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 01:13 PM

This is very intriguing. I will be painting an easyflex 06 screen this weekend that tiddler was kind enough to provide me guidance with and then the following week i will be top coating that screen with either 2x pearl or peal medium (not sure which yet but i have both though the metallic white pearl does concern me a little that it seems to add color)

I do like the way the color looks in the test panel but i also wonder how this new application might look if you used behr 1050 or behr 1850 instead of the kilz2?

The only reason i ponder is when i think back to some of the laminate trials and consider the fairly marked improvement in direct comparison between kilz2 and designer white laminate?

From what i've read in tiddler's notes it would almost seem like the 1050 could provide a very matte surface in this new mix, the kilz2 would be the middle ground and using upw1850 would provide just that extra touch of gain?

Interesting for sure.

With that said i have one other observation and that is - never mess with wbassett in his spare living room! Nice collection on the wall there
post #47 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
GbrNole wrote: View Post
with that said i have one other observation and that is - never mess with wbassett in his spare living room! nice collection on the wall there
Another welcome to the Shack!

The EF method should do you well and get you a nice image. Todd's in and out but if you have any questions, fire away in his thread and I'm sure he'll get back to you quickly.

Swords... yeah that's my passion, that and movies. If you've seen some of my other shots of screens off angle you probably saw a few more hanging on the other wall, and then the opposite wall has some as well as a few in the main living room. I have 18 right now and am eyeing a few more.

The heavier ones actually make for a good workout... kinda like using a heavy bag, first time you pound on one it doesn't seem like much of a workout but the next day you feel it all over, in places you never thought was even getting used!

Again... welcome to the Shack!

post #48 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I think Bill and myself would like to hold back on the pigment free gray until we get the numbers back.
GbrNole
That's a definite and why this is a teaser right now. It's showing promise but ultimately if it doesn't work out or doesn't provide anything more than other methods it'll be scrapped. Still there will be some valuable information gleaned from the test.

The reason why I went with Kilz2 is simple, I already had it, and it's not as expensive to do tests with. If this ends up working out and looks good, then sure a brighter white is worth testing. Both UPW and Sherwin William Luminous White both will be top choices for that when the time comes.

We'll know more when I put this up and do some extensive screen testing with it, and if it passes that, then it's off to get color readings done on it. Eventually I'll have my own spectro too but we're not all a money bags like mech!

post #49 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 02:45 PM

mech, thanks for the welcome and all the hard work you guys put in to help us newbies out!

i had seen your post where you compared the color of EF08 to your fashion gray screen and since i've read previously that you have poly on your FG (which looks stunning BTW) i will definitely be interested to see how the two compare especially if you hit the EF08 with poly too.

i think my one dilemma, that i'm probably over thinking, is that my PJ performs very well in many departments but it has a nagging little flaw in that it displays greens with a slightly yellow tone and with a lot of screens being weak in greens it compounds the issue (PJ is the sharp z3000) also to add to that, in it's absolute best mode it could be a bit brighter since it's only putting out about 275 true lumens but i have going for me that my screen is only 90" so i net about 12fl brightness on a neutral gain screen.

in a perfect world i would acquire a gray screen that ever so slightly emphasized green and had a gain of 1.15 to 1.2. that way i could compensate for my projectors very few shortcomings.

the one thing that i have to be careful with is the thing is an absolute light cannon in any mode other then best or medium (medium still kicks butt and puts out over 500 true lumens) as the sucker is capable of throwing down 1400 true lumens with decent contrast and pretty good color accuracy to net 58 fl on a neutral gain screen - a 1.2 gain screen would be 70 fl and i'd be blind and my mother would be saying, see, i told you so! :P
post #50 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 02:55 PM

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Another welcome to the Shack!

The EF method should do you well and get you a nice image. Todd's in and out but if you have any questions, fire away in his thread and I'm sure he'll get back to you quickly.

Swords... yeah that's my passion, that and movies. If you've seen some of my other shots of screens off angle you probably saw a few more hanging on the other wall, and then the opposite wall has some as well as a few in the main living room. I have 18 right now and am eyeing a few more.

The heavier ones actually make for a good workout... kinda like using a heavy bag, first time you pound on one it doesn't seem like much of a workout but the next day you feel it all over, in places you never thought was even getting used!

Again... welcome to the Shack!

thanks too for the welcome!

when i read your neutral gray thread i had noticed the millwork in your screen shots and was as impressed with it as your test images. now that you have shown us some exterior pics of your home it explains a lot! just don't find craftsmanship like that too often anymore.

i grew up in england and before i left for the states i was living in a country farmhouse that was built in 1755 - living in florida now i'm lucky if i can find anything that was built before 1955

as i said i'll be painting the EF06 screen and i'm sure it wont be too long before i end up tinkering with mixes too since i'm another one who just can't leave well enough alone but none of that would be possible without the great efforts and time you DIY pioneers have already put forth!