Teaser of some new things coming - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Teaser of some new things coming

Quote:
GbrNole wrote: View Post
i think my one dilemma, that i'm probably over thinking, is that my PJ performs very well in many departments but it has a nagging little flaw in that it displays greens with a slightly yellow tone and with a lot of screens being weak in greens it compounds the issue (PJ is the sharp z3000) also to add to that, in it's absolute best mode it could be a bit brighter since it's only putting out about 275 true lumens but i have going for me that my screen is only 90" so i net about 12fl brightness on a neutral gain screen.

in a perfect world i would acquire a gray screen that ever so slightly emphasized green and had a gain of 1.15 to 1.2. that way i could compensate for my projectors very few shortcomings.

Well one thing to take comfort in is the neutrals and EF aren't weak in green, not like a 'V' curve color. The EF tints and if the new reading on FG is right, they are slightly North of D65, which is a little on the green side but not so far that it would ruin your image.

the one thing that i have to be careful with is the thing is an absolute light cannon in any mode other then best or medium (medium still kicks butt and puts out over 500 true lumens) as the sucker is capable of throwing down 1400 true lumens with decent contrast and pretty good color accuracy to net 58 fl on a neutral gain screen - a 1.2 gain screen would be 70 fl and i'd be blind and my mother would be saying, see, i told you so! :P
Is your projector the XV-Z3000? If so I only see it rated at 1200 Lumens and 16fL of brightness for your screen size. If you plan on any viewing with lights on or during the day, that's probably perfect. I have a Sharp and have 14fL on a N8 shade gray and it works very well with both lights on and off situations.

Sounds like you're on your way to a very nice setup!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 04:20 PM

yeah it's a z3000 but it's one of those few projectors that is capable of actually throwing more lumens in dynamic mode than it's rated for.

i'd say maybe 15 to 20% of my viewing will occur in ambient light which is mostly light seeping in around the blinds of a pair of northern exposure french doors. the typical lumen output i use for ambient light viewing is just about 900 lumens (standard mode) so i get about 37 fl. i only really watch football or play the ps3 in ambient light anyway.
post #53 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Look around at the various screen options then that are in the N8 range. Sounds like you can more than handle that shade of gray.

There are a lot of good ways you can go so check them all out.

When you say 37fL, where are you getting that from? If it's from Projector Central, make sure you have the Video/Movies selection checked. It makes a huge difference. I see it go from around 34fL in data mode to 16/17 fL in video mode. Even if it turns out it's 16/17 fL, that is still an N8 candidate.

You also don't need to worry about gain with your size screen and those amount of fL you'll be hitting it with. That also opens things up for a lot of options.

post #54 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 07:27 PM

the foot lambert ratings i've quoted were actually from measured lumen output in each video mode divided by my screen area in square feet.

just for comparison sake i plugged my pj and screen size into pjcentral calculator (video mode) and it spits out that i will be seeing 17fl which is a tad higher than the PJ measures to. conversely i plugged your pj and screen size into the calculator for your pj (video mode) and without any surprise it spat back that you get 14fl

so if we reverse the formulas a little bit your pj is displaying 465 lumens in it's best mode (not sure what other modes you have on tap?) and according to pj central measurements my projector is throwing 412 lumens in its very best mode but in that mode the pj measures above 4300:1 full on/off CR at d65 and above 5600:1 when the color temp is pushed to 7500k.

as i mentioned the projector has a wealth of power on tap though once i open one or both iris' the other benefit for me (flaw for others) is that it's a short throw pj so it just improves the performance that bit more.

i was looking over your neutral gray screen thread again and noticed that one member had posted screen shots of his pt-ax100 on an actual munsell n8 screen color (man they looked good) the performance of the ax100 actually draws a pretty decent comparison to mine since the thing is an absolute monster in its brightest mode measuring at 2000 true lumens but in its absolute best video mode it measures about 350 true lumens. i just wish the poster could have provided some ambient shots!!!

all in all i have to say that in the 2 days i've read over this forum i've learnt so much more than i have from the other places and it's refreshing that everything is so civil with everyone looking for the common goal of best performance without going to great extremes in mix or application.

thanks for all the great work!
post #55 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

What gear are you using for your measurements and can/have you ever taken gain readings?

mech and I are looking at spotmeters but I'm not sure which one or way to go.

I will say their calculator says my projector will work with 'low ambient light' and I think you've seen some of the daytime shots, so that part is off a bit that's for sure.

post #56 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 09:41 PM

sorry i'm far more primitive than that - just a digital light meter to snag lumen output at the lens and then potential screen brightness (foot lamberts) output calculated by dividing measured lumens by screen area in square feet.

i would certainly like to be able to measure gain though.
post #57 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Hardly primitive seeing that most people have no idea how to do what you just explained

We're working on doing gain testing too if that's something you may be interested in.

post #58 of 79 Old 09-21-07, 11:30 PM

i'm all ears

i have a quick question though - considering i mentioned that my projector is weak in greens would it be incorrect to assume that choosing a neutral with green value a point or 2 different be beneficial for my needs? if this assumption is correct would that value need to be greater or less than the red and blue values?

ie. would i need say 202 204 202 or 202 200 202?

when i say my greens are off they have a slight yellowing.

also i noticed a possible laura ashley color - 1513 winter wind. considering that my whole house is painted with laura ashley color from lowes and it has been my favorite paint to work with (from a remodel standpoint) it intrigued me somewhat.

truevalue midtown gray 1991 is the one that has really peaked my interest with a 216 218 216 rgb. sherwin williams 2122 reflection is another.
post #59 of 79 Old 09-22-07, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

The neutrals as you know will have an equal balance.

You could try one of the ones you mentioned and see how you like it. Lowes can call up any paint code from any company and make it. Now sure how much laura ashley is a quart, but Valspar is under $10 a quart so it's worth a try. You might like some of the EF tints too.

post #60 of 79 Old 09-22-07, 11:39 AM

i'm painting an ef06 today i have been projecting onto a valspar high hiding primer thus far but it's white color is too blue. blues look great though - lol