Teaser of some new things coming - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Teaser of some new things coming

New thread coming... moving out of the teaser status.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 06:39 AM

WOW!

alright i have to ask a couple of things.

1. i assume the background color is your SW gray screen paint?

2. did you recalibrate the PJ for the new screen panel or is that shot with the original settings?

3. in your gray screen (neutral gray's thread) the image never seemed close to being washed out especially in the dark but the background image in those shots seemed a little washed out. i can't quite figure out if it's massive performance difference, there's ambient light that is being hidden by the camera exposure or it's related to #2 above?

man that is one nice performing screen! when you painting a full one?
post #63 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 08:13 AM

Quote:
GbrNole wrote: View Post
WOW!

2. did you recalibrate the PJ for the new screen panel or is that shot with the original settings?

3. in your gray screen (neutral gray's thread) the image never seemed close to being washed out especially in the dark but the background image in those shots seemed a little washed out. i can't quite figure out if it's massive performance difference, there's ambient light that is being hidden by the camera exposure or it's related to #2 above?

What he said!

(Translation: I second the opinions expressed by GbrNole, and will also be waiting with great anticipation for your answers to his questions as well as the new thread you have promised.)

post #64 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
WOW!

The background screen is a grey test screen I made that's around an N8.5 in shade. It's the one from earlier in this thread with the Kong shots, so if you liked those, these panels are making that screen look that bad. I added a rail system so I can set the test panels in a slot to hold them in place. I'm also working on a variety of screen reviews and wanted a middle ground gray to compare things to. When I get into the white screen reviews I'll have a white background screen up.

Actually those were still with the projector calibrated to the background screen. Ideally since it was calibrated to that screen shade it should be performing better. This is an interesting thing to note, and that is how well our eyes work to auto adjust. Without a reference things can look very good, but when something is placed in our view for a comparison reference we see differences.

I'm sure you've seen the Top Gun graduation shot in the neutral thread, those whites look amazing and really do look that white in person with my setup. I placed a white screen panel up and as you would guess, those whites didn't look white as compared to the white screen (DIY Theatre's White Platinum). I thought the Kong shots looked pretty good, and these panels have an extra level of detail and sharpness. It's almost like part of the screen has a veil over it.

I think it is a performance difference in this case. Yes Gray Screen never looked that washed out, it's a known excellent performer to me which is why I have a test panel finished of Gray Screen for some comparison shots. I will also make one up with Winter Mountain as well to do some side by side comparisons with these new gray panels. It is definitely moving along. I also put a poly coating on one of the new gray panels to test that as well. Look for more to come throughout the next week or two.

I want to test it with a poly coat and have some spectro readings on it done for color balance.

The panels were made with Kilz2 and Aluminum, specifically Aluminum paint comprised of:
  • Resin
  • Mineral Spirits
  • Aluminum
  • and Water
Thats it.

I made two panels one with a 3:1 ratio and one with a 4:1 ratio. That's 3 and 4 parts Kilz2 respectively to one part of the Aluminum. By the time we get the spectrophotometer readings I should have this refined down to a usable application.

post #65 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Todd I want to do some screen shots with more color in it too. I never shot Van Helsing before and it isn't the best one to use for screenies in my opinion... same as Charlies Angels. In both movies the director shot things with a definite colored look. Van Helsing is a very dark movie that has a blue tone to it much like Cameron did with T2.

I'll have a new thread and better screen shots as well as comparisons with other grays. Mech is doing some work with the EF tints and I don't have any of those right now or I'd throw a few of those in the comparison mix too.

post #66 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 09:47 AM

austin powers is a pretty clean movie with bold colors and varying skin tones. one of my current favorite movies for image quality has been ghost rider with nicholas cage, even on dvd it looked fantastic and bluray was just killer.

aeon flux is good for screenies though i wasn't all that into the movie.

you already have into the blue which has some great image capture scenes but i tend to get a little too wrapped up focusing on jessica alba to notice them
post #67 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 09:52 AM

one more quick question - both the 4:1 and the 3:1 mix panels are in the screen shots, right? i'm assuming the 4:1 mix is on the right and the 3:1 on the left?
post #68 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Yeah correct and sorry for not pointing that out. The 3:1 is on the left and the 4:1 is on the right. What I did was I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup for the ratios.

post #69 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 11:06 AM

i almost wonder how a 5:1 ratio might look? first hand experience is the best measure of all but from what i can see in the pictures the 4:1 almost seems to extract a little more detail without compromising blacks.

how do these panels look compared to your reference gray screen mix?
post #70 of 79 Old 09-24-07, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
i almost wonder how a 5:1 ratio might look? first hand experience is the best measure of all but from what i can see in the pictures the 4:1 almost seems to extract a little more detail without compromising blacks.

how do these panels look compared to your reference gray screen mix?
I agree that the 4:1 appears to be a nice balance, and yes I plan on trying a 5:1 or even higher to try and get the same shade as GS. That would be the most interesting test to me if the shades are identical. My next test though is with a poly coating and then I'll get to the others.

I also have to squeeze in my HoloVega review, so I may do that so I can get it done and out of the way.