Teaser of some new things coming - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Teaser of some new things coming

I'm still well within beta testing right now so I am not going to present anything as a finished product or recommendation until full testing and readings are done.

Are you ready for the first teaser though? I just made a gray screen (actually more of a silver screen) with no pigments used. I'll let that settle in.

There were no pigments added whatsoever and this shade maybe slightly lighter than N8, I'd say somewhere between N8 and N8.5. Color reproduction was excellent on my foam board test panel. By the way, don't use these. I had them laying around from awhile back and decided to use them for tests. They curl bad when paint is applied and dries. I was however impressed enough that I am going to make a larger panel out of hard board so I have a nice straight panel.

Colors were excellent, dead on with my current screen and even seemed a bit deeper and richer. What surprised me was blacks looked darker yet whites remained white. Again, this is slightly lighter looking than Gray Screen, but the big thing is no pigments whatsoever were used. (Pigments can cause color shifting if the wrong balance is used.)

I'll be putting up some test shots tonight along with the start of my formal commercial screen reviews. I will say though that until complete testing and samples have been spectro'd, this is just an advanced teaser.

Also coming are two brand new laminate screens courteous of Wilsonart. They sent me two new colors to test, an N8.5 and an N9 and in full 4'x8' sheets. They are acknowledging the increase in sales for full size sheets of DW and FG and are just as excited about laminate screens as I am. Unlike another company, they are not talking about raising their prices, but they do like the increased sales and interest in their products.

So lots of interesting things coming. Just stay tuned and 4th quarter of '07 may be a very interesting one! Some new neutrals have already been identified, two new laminates, and maybe an HTS exclusive custom screen application.

If the custom gray/silver screen ends up going to final stages, which I think it will at this point, I'm going to run a contest to name it. The winner will get a screen kit. I'm playfully calling it the HTSHurricane right now, so if this pans out and a naming contest is setup, start thinking about HTSxxx names!

I will also be giving away at least one of the laminate sheets if they test out well, which I am sure they will, so anyone interested look for that to be coming. Due to the size though, I probably will be asking for shipping to be covered but that's it.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 08:40 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Re: Teaser of some new things coming

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I, for one, cannot wait to see the new laminates! Get me some pics Bill! Please!

mech
And I, for one, can't wait to see the result of a bucket of white paint with silver glitter mixed in...
post #3 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Why would you think I am or would use glitter???!

Nope definitely not it.

post #4 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 12:41 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Why would you think I am or would use glitter???!

Nope definitely not it.
Hey, you said a silver screen without pigments...

(And, no, I didn't really think it was glitter...just hadn't seen much going on over the last couple of weeks, so your post got me excited. I started )
post #5 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I have my 4x8 gray reference screen sprayed and it's drying now. I have to wait for it to completely dry and then mount it and I can start my reviews on the commercial screens.

I seriously think I am getting the aluminum extrusion that has the built in track so I can just slide these test screens in and out.

post #6 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 03:46 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
That's a good idea! Wish I could do it! Unfortunately I'm dealing with a 99% finished theater.

mech
In that case, come help with mine!

I'm dealing with a 9% finished theater

Been swapping out white ceiling tiles with black ones in the drop ceiling today. Got into a wrestling match with a 2x4 light fixture. With the way they supported the drop ceiling, there was no way to remove it without cutting support wires...which felt like a can of worms that I didn't want to open.

So, it is now "stored" above the drop ceiling, for "future use".
post #7 of 79 Old 09-01-07, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
cynical2 wrote: View Post
Hey, you said a silver screen without pigments...

(And, no, I didn't really think it was glitter...just hadn't seen much going on over the last couple of weeks, so your post got me excited. I started )
I know I was just busting on you.

And yes I did say no pigments!

post #8 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I'm going to tease a few things to the max while beta testing is being done and spectro readings taken.

Here is a new gray screen (actually I think I may have already posted this but have to check), and this one is made the conventional way, meaning pigment based... some screenies probably tonight of the non-pigment screen. This one looks very nice, and please note, I haven't recalibrated my projector yet.

Here are a couple with a 60W room light on.

Lights back off...

Keep in mind this is a business projector that first sold in 2000 and only has a 250:1 contrast ratio. This is a simple one can solution that costs under $10 for a quart... and... I sprayed it with a disposable sprayer! It only used around 9 ounces of paint to make a full 4'x8' screen. This also rolls extremely well too, I just wanted to test something out is all.

post #9 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Laminates definitely won't be until next weekend at minimum. I have to build the frame/backing and it's just to big and bulky for me to lift it in place by myself. I almost fell off the ladder putting this one up! I'm fairly strong, but try to lift a 4'x8' sheet from one end while on a ladder! So even the white screen reviews will have to wait until I get some help to mount the white reference screen (my personal preference is to compare screens to a comparable reference screen, but it's not always easy or practical I do know that).

I think I will make some test panels though but won't call them conclusive until they are shown against a similar reference screen and readings are taken on everything.

In a couple of weeks we should have readings on a lot of things and then we'll chart them and build a reference table as to what Munsell range they all fall in. That's one of the needed building blocks for the projector/screen matching software and without that information I just can't set the matrix up to correlate everything. Once we're done with these we'll start gathering information on the rest of the DIY applications as well as other commercial screens. It's going to take some time but when done I think it will be worth it and a valuable tool.

post #10 of 79 Old 09-02-07, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Gotta go back and check the screens that are cookin down stairs.

BTW, nobody has commented on my projector? That surprised me. A 250:1 business presentation projector... if it can look that good imagine what a dedicated HT projector would look like! I spent under $10 for the paint for that one, and $8 for the hard board, the sprayer was $6 and it took 2 1/2 power units and a little less than 9 ounces of paint. I've made two 4'x8' screens so far and used less than half a quart of paint. That alone should be of interest to some.

One thing to note though is Kilz2 has a LOT of clay in it so it doesn't spray well unless it is thinned out a lot, at least with this sprayer. I'll know more about the Wagner in a couple of weeks. One interesting thing to pass on is I think I found one application that needs to be rolled and not sprayed! I'm still doing tests on that one though.