Acoustic screen backing question - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 09-28-13, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dave

Acoustic screen backing question

Many Acoustically Transparent (AT) screens suggest using a black-out backing, typically black (alwayd as far as I know), to help hide the speaker behind the screen, and anything else that might behind the screen.

My question is why use black as the "backer" to the screen?

Could you use a white "backer" so long as it is directly against the main screen material?

My logic is this; If the AT screen as slightly translucent and therefore requires a backing, wouldn't black reduce the gain a little bit? If you use white, it might make the gain go up instead and still hide the speaker behind the screen.

Would there be a problem with double images even though the two fabrics would be right against each other?

Through all this, I would still think everything else behind the screen should be black, my question is just focused on the backer to the screen.

Thanks,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-29-13, 02:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Acoustic screen backing question

Quote:
Dave7 wrote: View Post
Many Acoustically Transparent (AT) screens suggest using a black-out backing, typically black (alwayd as far as I know), to help hide the speaker behind the screen, and anything else that might behind the screen.

My question is why use black as the "backer" to the screen?

Could you use a white "backer" so long as it is directly against the main screen material?

My logic is this; If the AT screen as slightly translucent and therefore requires a backing, wouldn't black reduce the gain a little bit? If you use white, it might make the gain go up instead and still hide the speaker behind the screen.

Would there be a problem with double images even though the two fabrics would be right against each other?

Through all this, I would still think everything else behind the screen should be black, my question is just focused on the backer to the screen.

Thanks,

David
The backer to such a screen should be black so that NO light that goes THROUGH the screen will reflect off something and come back through the screen toward the viewer. A screen with a white backer may be a tiny bit brighter than with a black backer, but the image will also be more blurry because it is literally being reflected by two surfaces, the screen and then the backer. It will almost certainly lose some contrast as well depending on the translucency of the screen (the more translucent the greater the lose of contrast because the screen will literally be lit up from the light being reflected off the white backer).

Any light that goes through the screen should be totally absorbed to produce the sharpest image. Any light that may make it's way onto the screen from the rear would also be absorbed by a black backer, but maybe not a white one.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-13, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dave

I see what you say - thanks for your thoughtful response.

My thought was to use a white acoustic material that is not translucent. But if there is any reduction in the clarity, then it's not a good idea regardless of the reflection issues.

I currently have a Seymour XD with no backing and it works great . Everything behind the screen is blacked out, so reflections are taken car of.

I think I am switching to an Elite AcousticPro 4K and thought I might need a backing. I'll try without first to see how it goes.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-13, 05:54 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Dave7 wrote: View Post
I see what you say - thanks for your thoughtful response.

My thought was to use a white acoustic material that is not translucent. But if there is any reduction in the clarity, then it's not a good idea regardless of the reflection issues.

I currently have a Seymour XD with no backing and it works great . Everything behind the screen is blacked out, so reflections are taken car of.

I think I am switching to an Elite AcousticPro 4K and thought I might need a backing. I'll try without first to see how it goes.
If the area in back of your AT screen is blacked out so there are no reflections and no lights to send any light back toward the rear of the screen then you wouldn't need any backer layer at all.