Has anyone tried an oil base PFG screen? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 03-10-08, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Power4u

Has anyone tried an oil base PFG screen?

Thinking back to Art class in college, I remember a little about the properties of oil paints, vs. watercolors. Oil paintings have a sort of glow about them vs. watercolors. In addition, the mfr. of Henry 555 claims the reflectivity to last a bit longer with the 555 vs. the 558. With these two facts, I wonder if it would not yield better results, using a pure white oil base piant, mixed with the 555. I hate working with oil base, but I am throwing away my left over rollers and such when I am done anyway.

Just food for thought. I wonder if I can get Henry, to send me a sample of the 555 to try it. I'm game...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-10-08, 12:44 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Re: Has anyone tried an oil base PFG screen?

I think I saw the 555 available at places like Home Depot or Lowes, so getting it shouldn't be an issue if you wanted to try it out, it hasn't been tested, so you would be on your own there.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make TBO, except as stated, it is a pain to clean, and it DOES stink.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-08, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Power4u

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I did some experimenting early on with a Rustoleum Aluminum paint and an oil-based Kilz. It ended up pushing blue. And then we found more water based aluminum products to use so it made it pointless for me to continue down the oil-based road. It smells bad and it's a pain to clean up after. It would be interesting though to see if Rustoleum matches up with an oil-based Bermuda Beige!

I know that rfisher has done some experimenting with it as well but I haven't seen the full blown results yet.

mech
Thanks mech. I want to try the Rustoleum Aluminum paint. I looked up and compared the ingredients. It appears the rustoleum is a bit more pure of a formulation than the 558. I looked at the MSDS for each product.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbg_techdoc...asp?MSDS=94161

Vs.

http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/m...58_msds_01.pdf

note: the Henry 558 contains asphalt...

I don't know much about the bermuda beige thread. I have a Mitsu HC1500 (supposed 1600 Lumens). What base should I try? Oil base in this case.

Thanks...

post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-08, 02:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
power4u wrote: View Post
Thanks mech. I want to try the Rustoleum Aluminum paint. I looked up and compared the ingredients. It appears the rustoleum is a bit more pure of a formulation than the 558. I looked at the MSDS for each product.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbg_techdoc...asp?MSDS=94161

Vs.

http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/m...58_msds_01.pdf

note: the Henry 558 contains asphalt...

I don't know much about the bermuda beige thread. I have a Mitsu HC1500 (supposed 1600 Lumens). What base should I try? Oil base in this case.

Thanks...
If you want to try an oil base that's up to you. I don't see why it wouldn't work if you don't mix oil and water based paints.

The one thing to note though is we didn't do any color testing on Rustoleum so we really can't say what base color would be needed to balance it out to a neutral gray.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-08, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Power4u

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
If you want to try an oil base that's up to you. I don't see why it wouldn't work if you don't mix oil and water based paints.

The one thing to note though is we didn't do any color testing on Rustoleum so we really can't say what base color would be needed to balance it out to a neutral gray.
Yes, I suppose I will have to figure out the right combo. By the way, the reason I want to try this, even over the other reason I have, is simply availability of product. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel on this. I can buy a quart of base anywhere, and the rustoleom even comes in a 1/2 quart can for less than 4 bucks. So, for 15 bucks plus a five dollar roller cover, I am in business. I suppose this will beat the out of the light yellow wall I am projecting onto now...

By the way, has anyone come up with an inexpensive border? I heard about black velvet tape, but have not researched where to buy as yet.

Also, where can I find one of those Munsell gray charts? I will work on the mix, and get back to you. Do you think I should stick with N9, or can I go darker gray?