Let's launch this thing with a big sale. - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 45 Old 09-03-12, 03:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Dan

Re: Let's launch this thing with a big sale.

Coolness! Order placed. Nice talking to you. I thought I needed to wait until after the holiday was over.
Where were the cabinet plans, again? Sorry for the dumb question. You probably said it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 09-03-12, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

See plans: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/x-ls%20classic%20box.pdf
post #33 of 45 Old 02-24-14, 04:03 PM
Shackster
Bob

Do you have a link to the plans for the larger tower enclosure? May actually get around to building this now. Need to decide tower or shelf.

Wait. Found the link in the thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Bullitt5094; 02-24-14 at 04:35 PM.

post #34 of 45 Old 02-24-14, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Bullitt5094 wrote: View Post
Do you have a link to the plans for the larger tower enclosure? May actually get around to building this now. Need to decide tower or shelf.
X-SLS Classic: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-SLS%20Classic.pdf

X-SLS Encore: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-SLS%20Encore%20box.pdf
post #35 of 45 Old 04-10-14, 10:23 PM
Shackster
Bob

I've constructed the enclosure using 1/2" Hardwood Ply instead of 3/4" MDF. You show a 3/8 internal radius on the midrange transducer mounting hole. With only 1/2" thick material, would that internal radius still be necessary? Also, how do you think the 1/2" hardwood vs the 3/4" MDF would affect the sound?
post #36 of 45 Old 04-11-14, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I've constructed the enclosure using 1/2" Hardwood Ply instead of 3/4" MDF. You show a 3/8 internal radius on the midrange transducer mounting hole. With only 1/2" thick material, would that internal radius still be necessary? Also, how do you think the 1/2" hardwood vs the 3/4" MDF would affect the sound?
The hardwood will be very resonant compared to MDF. And being an even thinner material will make it worse. I'd add another layer using 1/2" MDF.

And if the inside edge doesn't have the radius then it will adversely effect the response. The edge diffraction will add a little bump around 1kHz.
post #37 of 45 Old 04-11-14, 12:47 PM
Shackster
Bob

Adding another layer of MDF would be way too much of a pain. I may invest in some of your liner product to see if that helps. I will do the radius, at least enough to get rid for the inner edge. I'm very impressed with the sound just as they are now. They sound much bigger, and certainly much more expensive, than they are. I've photographed the construction process and will post a thread on that when I have time. I spent about $200 total on the pair and they sound better than most $1000 systems I've heard. Certainly better than any reasonably priced bookshelf speakers. They will get loud, but won't go rock concert loud. But gee, what do you expect from a speaker that size? Plenty of DB for most living rooms and certainly most apartments.
post #38 of 45 Old 04-11-14, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Adding another layer of MDF would be way too much of a pain. I may invest in some of your liner product to see if that helps. I will do the radius, at least enough to get rid for the inner edge. I'm very impressed with the sound just as they are now. They sound much bigger, and certainly much more expensive, than they are. I've photographed the construction process and will post a thread on that when I have time. I spent about $200 total on the pair and they sound better than most $1000 systems I've heard. Certainly better than any reasonably priced bookshelf speakers. They will get loud, but won't go rock concert loud. But gee, what do you expect from a speaker that size? Plenty of DB for most living rooms and certainly most apartments.
Okay, cut some bracing using dowel rods to stiffen up the panels then line them with a sheet of No Rez and that will help a lot.

And I am glad you like them. They really are over achievers.
post #39 of 45 Old 04-11-14, 01:49 PM
Shackster
Bob

I already have the stiffeners in the corners and the square stiffener spanning across the middle of the sides. That seemed to me to be enough to dampen the two, relatively small sides. Where else do you recommend adding the dowles? I assume you know I made the small box, not the large, floor standing one.
post #40 of 45 Old 04-11-14, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I already have the stiffeners in the corners and the square stiffener spanning across the middle of the sides. That seemed to me to be enough to dampen the two, relatively small sides. Where else do you recommend adding the dowles? I assume you know I made the small box, not the large, floor standing one.
Corner braces are not really needed. The least resonant part of the box is in the corners.

Here is a pic of the prototype boxes.