X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 11-01-12, 10:46 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

How do I go about ordering a few?
joshua.v is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 31 Old 11-01-12, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Danny Richie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa Park, Texas
Posts: 279
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Quote:
joshua.v wrote: View Post
How do I go about ordering a few?
Just call GR Research and place an order: 940-592-3400
Danny Richie is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 11-08-12, 04:38 PM
New Member
Choots
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 4
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Hi,

I'm interested in the X-LS Encores, but is the difference difference between the Skiing Ninja version and the version offered the soniccaps and resistors? Are those also available through GR Research?

The other thing I didn't see is about the cabinet plans. Are those provided with the kit? Maybe it's obvious, but I thought I'd confirm.

Thanks!
Choots is offline  
 
post #14 of 31 Old 11-08-12, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Danny Richie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa Park, Texas
Posts: 279
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Quote:
Choots wrote: View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in the X-LS Encores, but is the difference difference between the Skiing Ninja version and the version offered the soniccaps and resistors? Are those also available through GR Research?

The other thing I didn't see is about the cabinet plans. Are those provided with the kit? Maybe it's obvious, but I thought I'd confirm.

Thanks!
The kit comes with fully assembled crossovers using air core inductors, poly caps, non-inductive wire wound resistors, and Gen. 2 Sonicap by-pass caps in the tweeter circuit.



I can sell you Sonicaps that can be swapped out for the poly caps to take resolution levels and detail levels up a notch. You can mount them on the same board. That is the best bang for the buck upgrade.

What the Skiing Ninja does is take everything up a notch with Sonicaps, Mills resistors, And Erse XQ inductors. He even does away with the circuit board and point to point wires everything. Full assembly is included so you just mount the crossover and make connections. The Skiing Ninja crossover must be ordered from the Skiing Ninja.

Binding post can also be upgraded to tube connectors too if you like. Tube connectors can be seen here: http://www.electracable.com/tubeconnector.htm

Cabinet plans are here: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-LS%20Encore%20box.pdf
Danny Richie is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 09-07-13, 07:32 PM
Plain ole user
 
lcaillo's Avatar
Tech Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 11,121
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

OK Danny, I am interested in building a pair of the XLS Encores and maybe starting to put together a bookshelf shootout sort of like what we did at Sonnie's for the $1000 speakers. I am still trying to wrap my brain around the price. It is $149 for the pair, with assembled crossovers? Really? Not each?

Will one sheet of No-Rez be enough? Do you have recommendations for placement? Back, sides, top?

This will be a cool project to do with my son, and a pair of speakers will end up with him. I need another pair for my bedroom and am considering the Arx A1b, among others, so with these two speakers we have the beginnings of a shootout.

I have always had a curiosity for bookshelf speakers and the practical matter is that it is nice to have sound in places that are not the prime listening area, like the bedroom. I have not had a nice pair for many years and am finding my way back to this hobby. Old favorites included the Rogers LS3/5a (Gulp, choke when I look at what a kit costs these days) and the Spica TC50. Yes, I go back almost 3 decades to most of my serious audio days. I am curious how the best value speakers of today match up to what we had back then. I don't have any of these to compare, but I do still have my original Thiel 04 pair as a reference.




Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
lcaillo is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 09-07-13, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Danny Richie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa Park, Texas
Posts: 279
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Quote:
OK Danny, I am interested in building a pair of the XLS Encores and maybe starting to put together a bookshelf shootout sort of like what we did at Sonnie's for the $1000 speakers. I am still trying to wrap my brain around the price. It is $149 for the pair, with assembled crossovers? Really? Not each?
Per pair.

Quote:
Will one sheet of No-Rez be enough? Do you have recommendations for placement? Back, sides, top?
One sheet of No Rez will handle the pair. You put it on all five sides (not the front baffle).

Quote:
This will be a cool project to do with my son, and a pair of speakers will end up with him. I need another pair for my bedroom and am considering the Arx A1b, among others, so with these two speakers we have the beginnings of a shootout.
Sounds fun. You can also take them up a level or two with higher resolution and detail levels by upgrading the caps to Sonicaps. You can also upgrade the resistors to Mills. That is a slight upgrade.



You can even upgrade the connectors to tube connectors. That is an improvement as well.



All that little stuff adds up and allows them to compete easily with any mini-monitor out there.

Quote:
I have always had a curiosity for bookshelf speakers and the practical matter is that it is nice to have sound in places that are not the prime listening area, like the bedroom. I have not had a nice pair for many years and am finding my way back to this hobby. Old favorites included the Rogers LS3/5a (Gulp, choke when I look at what a kit costs these days) and the Spica TC50. Yes, I go back almost 3 decades to most of my serious audio days. I am curious how the best value speakers of today match up to what we had back then. I don't have any of these to compare, but I do still have my original Thiel 04 pair as a reference.
I have upgraded some of those old speakers in the past. Here is one of them: http://gr-research.com/spicatc-50upgrade.aspx

They are a long way from a pair of X-LS Encores.
Danny Richie is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 09-07-13, 07:53 PM
Plain ole user
 
lcaillo's Avatar
Tech Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 11,121
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Things should have improved a great deal in all these years.




Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
lcaillo is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 09-08-13, 09:07 PM
Shackster
 
mlundy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: OK
Posts: 69
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Leonard,

While you're at it build out a pair of GR-Research OB7's for the upcoming $2,500 floor standing shootout

Here's a link to the page: http://gr-research.com/ob-7.aspx

OK so technically ~$1,300 for the upgraded kit and NoRez + cabinet material will probably be well below $2,500 I would expect the OB7's to win that shootout hands down.

I just finished building a pair of upgraded X-LS Encores and couldn't be more pleased.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.-ob7.jpg  

mlundy57 is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 07:45 PM
Plain ole user
 
lcaillo's Avatar
Tech Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 11,121
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

I received the XLS Encore kit and built it this weekend. For a total cost in materials and kit under $200 I can say that this is quite a good value. I wish that I had a room in which I could set them up optimally to see what they can really do. Nice image for a cheap speaker, relatively good definition. I built them using the stock components. Perhaps I will experiment with some of the recommended upgrades, but not until I get to know them and get to make some careful measurements.




Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
lcaillo is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 08:58 PM
Shackster
 
mlundy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: OK
Posts: 69
Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

I'd really be interested to see what you come up with, especially if you build out an upgraded crossover then have both measurements and listening comparisons. I have never heard the stock crossover. I built my X-LS Encores up with the fully upgraded crossovers.
mlundy57 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
deals , kit , xseries

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome