X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 31 Old 11-01-12, 10:46 AM

Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

How do I go about ordering a few?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 11-01-12, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
joshua.v wrote: View Post
How do I go about ordering a few?
Just call GR Research and place an order: 940-592-3400
post #13 of 31 Old 11-08-12, 04:38 PM
Choots

Hi,

I'm interested in the X-LS Encores, but is the difference difference between the Skiing Ninja version and the version offered the soniccaps and resistors? Are those also available through GR Research?

The other thing I didn't see is about the cabinet plans. Are those provided with the kit? Maybe it's obvious, but I thought I'd confirm.

Thanks!

post #14 of 31 Old 11-08-12, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Choots wrote: View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in the X-LS Encores, but is the difference difference between the Skiing Ninja version and the version offered the soniccaps and resistors? Are those also available through GR Research?

The other thing I didn't see is about the cabinet plans. Are those provided with the kit? Maybe it's obvious, but I thought I'd confirm.

Thanks!
The kit comes with fully assembled crossovers using air core inductors, poly caps, non-inductive wire wound resistors, and Gen. 2 Sonicap by-pass caps in the tweeter circuit.

I can sell you Sonicaps that can be swapped out for the poly caps to take resolution levels and detail levels up a notch. You can mount them on the same board. That is the best bang for the buck upgrade.

What the Skiing Ninja does is take everything up a notch with Sonicaps, Mills resistors, And Erse XQ inductors. He even does away with the circuit board and point to point wires everything. Full assembly is included so you just mount the crossover and make connections. The Skiing Ninja crossover must be ordered from the Skiing Ninja.

Binding post can also be upgraded to tube connectors too if you like. Tube connectors can be seen here: http://www.electracable.com/tubeconnector.htm

Cabinet plans are here: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-LS%20Encore%20box.pdf
post #15 of 31 Old 09-07-13, 07:32 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

OK Danny, I am interested in building a pair of the XLS Encores and maybe starting to put together a bookshelf shootout sort of like what we did at Sonnie's for the $1000 speakers. I am still trying to wrap my brain around the price. It is $149 for the pair, with assembled crossovers? Really? Not each?

Will one sheet of No-Rez be enough? Do you have recommendations for placement? Back, sides, top?

This will be a cool project to do with my son, and a pair of speakers will end up with him. I need another pair for my bedroom and am considering the Arx A1b, among others, so with these two speakers we have the beginnings of a shootout.

I have always had a curiosity for bookshelf speakers and the practical matter is that it is nice to have sound in places that are not the prime listening area, like the bedroom. I have not had a nice pair for many years and am finding my way back to this hobby. Old favorites included the Rogers LS3/5a (Gulp, choke when I look at what a kit costs these days) and the Spica TC50. Yes, I go back almost 3 decades to most of my serious audio days. I am curious how the best value speakers of today match up to what we had back then. I don't have any of these to compare, but I do still have my original Thiel 04 pair as a reference.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #16 of 31 Old 09-07-13, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
OK Danny, I am interested in building a pair of the XLS Encores and maybe starting to put together a bookshelf shootout sort of like what we did at Sonnie's for the $1000 speakers. I am still trying to wrap my brain around the price. It is $149 for the pair, with assembled crossovers? Really? Not each?
Per pair.

Quote:
Will one sheet of No-Rez be enough? Do you have recommendations for placement? Back, sides, top?
One sheet of No Rez will handle the pair. You put it on all five sides (not the front baffle).

Quote:
This will be a cool project to do with my son, and a pair of speakers will end up with him. I need another pair for my bedroom and am considering the Arx A1b, among others, so with these two speakers we have the beginnings of a shootout.
Sounds fun. You can also take them up a level or two with higher resolution and detail levels by upgrading the caps to Sonicaps. You can also upgrade the resistors to Mills. That is a slight upgrade.

You can even upgrade the connectors to tube connectors. That is an improvement as well.

All that little stuff adds up and allows them to compete easily with any mini-monitor out there.

Quote:
I have always had a curiosity for bookshelf speakers and the practical matter is that it is nice to have sound in places that are not the prime listening area, like the bedroom. I have not had a nice pair for many years and am finding my way back to this hobby. Old favorites included the Rogers LS3/5a (Gulp, choke when I look at what a kit costs these days) and the Spica TC50. Yes, I go back almost 3 decades to most of my serious audio days. I am curious how the best value speakers of today match up to what we had back then. I don't have any of these to compare, but I do still have my original Thiel 04 pair as a reference.
I have upgraded some of those old speakers in the past. Here is one of them: http://gr-research.com/spicatc-50upgrade.aspx

They are a long way from a pair of X-LS Encores.
post #17 of 31 Old 09-07-13, 07:53 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Things should have improved a great deal in all these years.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #18 of 31 Old 09-08-13, 09:07 PM
Shackster

Leonard,

While you're at it build out a pair of GR-Research OB7's for the upcoming $2,500 floor standing shootout

Here's a link to the page: http://gr-research.com/ob-7.aspx

OK so technically ~$1,300 for the upgraded kit and NoRez + cabinet material will probably be well below $2,500 I would expect the OB7's to win that shootout hands down.

I just finished building a pair of upgraded X-LS Encores and couldn't be more pleased.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.-ob7.jpg  

post #19 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 07:45 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I received the XLS Encore kit and built it this weekend. For a total cost in materials and kit under $200 I can say that this is quite a good value. I wish that I had a room in which I could set them up optimally to see what they can really do. Nice image for a cheap speaker, relatively good definition. I built them using the stock components. Perhaps I will experiment with some of the recommended upgrades, but not until I get to know them and get to make some careful measurements.

post #20 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 08:58 PM
Shackster

I'd really be interested to see what you come up with, especially if you build out an upgraded crossover then have both measurements and listening comparisons. I have never heard the stock crossover. I built my X-LS Encores up with the fully upgraded crossovers.