X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these. - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Quote:
mlundy57 wrote: View Post
I'd really be interested to see what you come up with, especially if you build out an upgraded crossover then have both measurements and listening comparisons. I have never heard the stock crossover. I built my X-LS Encores up with the fully upgraded crossovers.
The measurements are the same. The difference is in the resolution and detail levels. The higher quality crossovers also offer a cleaner presentation with less smearing and more space between the notes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 09:06 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I am tempted to build another pair with the upgraded parts just to compare. I can always sell them or pass them on to a family member in need of speakers.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-15-13, 09:13 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

BTW, my old Thiel 04s hold up pretty well. In terms of imaging, maybe better in some areas. I tink I like the upper midrange better on the Encore and the frequency response overall seems to be smoother in the Encore. Thirty years later, with the original drivers other than the passive radiators which were replaced, this early effort from the late Jim Thiel and his brother Tom.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #24 of 31 Old 02-13-15, 09:28 AM

Danny -

A long shot for sure but wanted to bump this and see if any of the X-Statik components still exist (do you have anything)?

Thanks,
Eric
post #25 of 31 Old 02-13-15, 10:51 AM
Shackster

Quote:
ITBVolks wrote: View Post
Danny -

A long shot for sure but wanted to bump this and see if any of the X-Statik components still exist (do you have anything)?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric,

I am pretty sure there are X-Static kits available. While the X-Statics aren't listed on the GR-Research website, http://gr-research.com/ , you can call or email Danny directly.

Mike
post #26 of 31 Old 02-13-15, 11:31 AM

Really appreciate the heads up Mike. I followed all of the original X-Statik development info back on AV123 years ago and always loved the open baffle design. I recently stumbled on someone with a set and it peaked my interested again. Danny does some absolutely fantastic work developing these systems.....

I'd love to build a set up - either that or some OB-5's....

Thanks,
Eric
post #27 of 31 Old 02-13-15, 12:04 PM
Shackster

Eric,

Danny also has a new OB design out called the LGK Wedge (or Wedgie as some people call it).

The Wedge itself is the top part of a full range speaker covering 250Hz and up. It needs to be mated with bass units (preferably OB bass) that will cover the bottom octaves.

Danny's 8 inch and 12 inch direct servo drivers work well for this. They can be built into H-frames that can double as stands for the Wedges yielding OB speakers that play flat down to 20Hz.

Danny is currently working on a wedge shapped bass unit using three of the 8 inch servo drivers that will match the LGK Wedgie.

I built a pair of the Swedgies and love them.

Mile
post #28 of 31 Old 02-13-15, 12:44 PM

Mike -

Very interesting... I'll have to see if I can dig up some more information on those.

Are you still running your N3 towers? How are you liking those?
post #29 of 31 Old 02-13-15, 02:30 PM
Shackster

Quote:
ITBVolks wrote: View Post
Mike -

Very interesting... I'll have to see if I can dig up some more information on those.

Are you still running your N3 towers? How are you liking those?
Eric,

You will find an in-depth discussion of the LGK Wedgie here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126112.0

The N3s are alive and well in my living room, which my wife informed me was her system and those speakers would remain in her system thank you very much (WAF indeed).

Since my wife commandeered the N3s, I needed another set of speakers for my man cave. I got to hear OB speakers at the Lone Star Audio Fest last year and liked the sound so I was looking at the OB7s when the Wedgies became available.

My personal preference is now OB when the room layout will allow them and N3s when OB won't work. The way my living room is set up, OB speakers won't work. I can't get them far enough off the front wall so the N3s are perfect here.

Mike
post #30 of 31 Old 02-15-15, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Hey guys,

I have a lot of X-Statik kits available and ready to ship. Only $379 a pair for the kits.