X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 31 Old 08-20-12, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

X-Series kits.

I have always been at the top of the performance per dollar spent category, but now I am REALLY raising the bar. I am now offering some new loudspeaker kits of some multiple award winning designs at ridiculously low price points.

Note that I said "KITS" and not fully assembled speakers. The prices below do not include cabinets.

Here is the short story:

I designed a product line for AV123 known as the X-Series speakers. It started out with a brilliant idea from Mark Schifter to offer a real over achieving mini-monitor and sub as a lost leader and use it as an advertising tool rather then spending a lot of money directly on advertising. The speakers had to be well engineered and mass produced to keep cost low, then sold at levels barely above cost.

The plan worked well as the X-LS and X-sub racked up awards and accolades.

Then we followed them up with a higher end version using a world class tweeter and took everything up a notch. Other models followed that filled out the line with many of them winning industry awards as well. These were known as the Encore versions.

Fast forward a few years and AV123 hit some bumps in the road that lead to them closing the doors...

X-Series speakers were last being made in Colombia by Santiago and family, and they did a wonderful job with the whole line. But they obviously will no longer be manufacturing them. And that left them with thousands of X-series drivers, crossovers, and various parts. They couldn't afford to sit on this product that they have purchased and really needed to recovery some of their investment.

So Santiago and I have agreed to a deal that will allow all of the X-series inventory to be sent here to GR Research. I am now blowing them out as kits and at prices that will make them fly out the doors. The faster they sell the faster I can send funds to Santiago and his family, so prices are really low for fast sales.

I took delivery of two forty foot container loads of product. So there is a lot on hand.

There will be more information made available here and on the GR Research web site as soon as I can get it up. I have crunched the numbers, factored in shipping cost, brokerage, etc, and I think I can stick with these numbers. These prices included everything but the cabinets.

Original X-LS mini-monitor: $109 per pair.

These were reviewed by Audioholics, Affordable Audio, Home Theater and High Fidelity, GoodSound, Tone Audio, Consumer Guide, Prillaman.net, and several others. They received two Product of the Year awards, Best Buy award, Budget Speaker of the Year, and seems like there might have been one or two more that I can't remember. An upgrade for that model offered by the Skiing Ninja was also reviewed by Tone Audio.

Original X-CS: $79 each.

This was a matching MTM in a sealed box using a pair of the 16 ohm woofers in parallel. These were reviewed by Home Theater Talk, Audioholics, Consumer Guide, and Affordable Audio.

X-LS Encore: $149 a pair.

This was an upgraded version of the original X-LS. A few pics here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/X-LS+Encore

These were reviewed by Positive Feedback, and several others. A Skiing Ninja upgraded version also won the small speaker shoot out by Stereo Mojo: http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Sp...t2007Part1.htm

X-CS Encore: $99 each.

An upgraded version of the original X-CS, MTM center channel speaker.

This was also reviewed by Positive Feedback. There was also a review of the X-MTM, X-CS, and X-ls at Home Theater Sound, and they were given a Reviewers Choice award.

X-Omni: $169 a pair.

This is an omni directional design for left and right mains or rear surround applications. It was reviewed by Affordable Audio and given a Best of 2009 award.

X-Statik: $379 a pair.

This hugely popular model is an MTM in open baffle with an addition pair of woofers below.

Some pics here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-statik

This speaker was reviewed by Affordable Audio, AV Guide, Gear Patrol, Audioholics, and the Absolute Sound, winning their Top Value award and an Editors Choice award. Stereo Mojo also gave it a Best of Show at RMAF 2008.

X-Voce: $189 each.

This speaker is a center channel version of the X-Statik.

A few pics are here: http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-statik+Centre

It uses an open baffle MTM center section with an additional sealed box woofer on each end.

These were also reviewed by Gear Patrol and several others.

If you have questions about any these then let'em rip.

I'll post some pics and more information on each model as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-03-12, 02:02 PM
GLD
Shackster

Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set low on these.

Hey everyone this is better than a great deal on these kits! When they were first introduced I bought a finished pair of the X-LS in Maple and a pair of the subs to match. At the time of the purchase I thought
it would be best to have the subs. I like the bass and how much could such a small speaker make?
Well let me tell you that i never even took the subs out of the boxes! When I got the speakers I had them upgraded to a sonicap in the crossover and the cabinets lined with black hole 5.
In my room the response was well into the upper 30's and could do that at quite a loud level.
Very pleasing and easy to listen too at high volumes. They were by far my favorite of all time small monitor,
and I paid much more then Danny is asking for the kits. Easy enough for anyone to build . Best bang for the buck as they say!
gary
post #3 of 31 Old 10-17-12, 09:24 PM

Re: X-Series kit deals. Prices have been set REALLY low on these.

Hi, Do you still have any of these kits available? Particularly the x-ls encore and x-static?

Last edited by archeion; 10-18-12 at 06:42 AM. Reason: corrected model name

post #4 of 31 Old 10-20-12, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

There are lots of these kits on hand and ready to ship.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-20-12, 02:51 PM
ron
Shackster

ron

I have recently built several pairs of the X-LS Encore kits that I bought from Danny. Not only do they sound great, but at $149.00 for the parts kit they are a super bargin too. If you want to take the performance up to a higher level, I highly recommend going for the performance upgrades. The upgrades consist of replacing the the stock crossover capacitors and resistors with Sonicaps and Mills respectively. Also, lining the cabinet interioe walls with No-Rez makes an audible improvement too. I would be glad to share my build information
with anyone interested in building the X-LS or X-LS Encores. Just send me a PM. Note -I would post pictures but for some reason this site presently won't allow me to create a Gallery folder to upload pictures to.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-22-12, 10:44 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
ron wrote: View Post
I have recently built several pairs of the X-LS Encore kits that I bought from Danny. Not only do they sound great, but at $149.00 for the parts kit they are a super bargin too. If you want to take the performance up to a higher level, I highly recommend going for the performance upgrades. The upgrades consist of replacing the the stock crossover capacitors and resistors with Sonicaps and Mills respectively. Also, lining the cabinet interioe walls with No-Rez makes an audible improvement too. I would be glad to share my build information
with anyone interested in building the X-LS or X-LS Encores. Just send me a PM. Note -I would post pictures but for some reason this site presently won't allow me to create a Gallery folder to upload pictures to.
Welcome to HTS!

You need 5 posts to do that - you can use the post padding thread here to get to 5.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 31 Old 10-22-12, 04:24 PM
Shackster

These look great, cant wait to see more info and pictures on these.

Any links to the parts in each or any build logs or anything?
post #8 of 31 Old 10-27-12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

X-LS: All air core inductors and poly caps. Resistors are high quality as well.

X-LS Encore: Steps up to top level Peerless tweeter and the crossover uses Sonicap by-pass caps.

The wire that comes with both kits are 99.98% pure Copper in polyethylene.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-30-12, 08:41 AM
cnm_mike

Danny,

Do the X-Statik kits have the Encore improvements?
thx,
Mike
post #10 of 31 Old 10-30-12, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
cnm_mike wrote: View Post
Danny,

Do the X-Statik kits have the Encore improvements?
thx,
Mike
X-Statik and X-Voce all have Encore tweeters and upgraded crossovers.