Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 61 Old 04-24-15, 05:02 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
The Quad room, was pretty interesting, three different turntables, all with the same tonearms and cartridges. A mixture of MoFi analog and digital was played, but conversation in the room made the display little more than background music. As I occupied the main listening chair, a guy sat down next to me and started singing along with the song (a Hall & Oates number). The Quads were very seductive from what little I could hear, but I had to move on. Much to see and so little time.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3144.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3147.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3150.jpg

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 Old 04-24-15, 05:20 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
Does anything else for the money rock out as loud as a Soundfield Audio loudspeaker? Not that I am aware of. The D1 dipoles with active bass, tops powered by the Belles VT-01 valve pre amp and MB60 Class A monoblocs that were just loafing along at around 5 watts or so, Days of the New "Shelf in the Room" played at near concert level with no sense of strain.

Equally adept with small scale acoustic instruments and female vocals as they are with big band music, Gordon Goodwin's "Big Phat Band", the D1 pair delivered that signature "live" feel that Soundfield Audio is known for.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3151.jpg Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3153.jpg

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #13 of 61 Old 04-24-15, 07:27 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
I popped into the Underwood HiFi room just as a customer wanted to test the Emerald Physics CS2.3 MK2. Megadeth was the weapon chosen. Spacious, rich sound filled the room, the dipole speakers portraying a huge, lifelike soundstage. Loud, yet effortless I really enjoyed the presentation. Others cried "Uncle!" and the volume was reduced. I checked around the room, there were no serious injuries, heh.

Bass, massaged by the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core, was as full and smooth as one could want, reminding me of my last encounter with EP at the 2014 RMAF. Different rooms, but the same sound, speaks to the value the Anti-Mode adds.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150424_181228.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3155.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3156.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3157.jpg

post #14 of 61 Old 04-24-15, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Klaus Bunge of Odyssey Audio will not try to tell you his speakers are perfect. He really does not say much at all, just lets you hear for yourself. His $6,900 package, including the Candela Preamplifier - normally $1600 - and a pair of Khartago Monos - $1995/pr - and his Kismet Beryllium Reference Loudspeakers - $4200/pair - all for $6,900 - is without a doubt the deal of AXPONA, sounding as good as, or better than, systems at 3x and 4x the price.

The Kismets are lively, engaging, fun, articulate, they image sharply, project a wonderful soundstage, are accurate, able to sock you with.deep, tight bass... They do so much so well at such a reasonable price point, you almost can not walk out of the room without thinking seriously about placing an order.

They are set up properly and accompanied by GIK room treatments which complement and protect their wonderful sound.

I often have reservations about hard dome tweeters, but the Kismet beryllium dome tweeters are well behaved, can soar when called upon and soothe the soul when the music demands it.

Definitely the value system of AXPONA 2015

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150424_184212.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150424_184237.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150424_184259.png

post #15 of 61 Old 04-25-15, 11:48 AM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
MBL room - Holographic sound with a deep soundstage, with great dynamic capability in the highs and midrange regions, anyway. Styx "Come Sail Away" a notoriously obnoxious song in the treble region, was played from reel to reel, the highs bsolutely strain-free. Mid bass was a little light, deep bass was almost completely absent. The amps are enormous and extremely capable, I wonder if the lower registers are limited by the speakers or personal choice?

Near perfect imaging within the spacious soundstage, performers spread out nicely with realistic amounts of air separating them, and recessed three feet or more behind the front plane of the $42k MBL 111 F loudspeakers.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3162.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3160.jpg

post #16 of 61 Old 04-25-15, 12:45 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
In the Washington Room, Jolida, with more MBL, this time, the model116 F speaker.

A lesser speaker than the 111F, but to my ears, better integrated within the room. Lower frequencies were well represented, while still maintaining that same seductive, holographic omni-directional sound. I really liked this room a lot.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3163.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3166.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3164.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3165.jpg

Wayne's Comments:

This room was one of my early visits. While some omnidirectional speaker designs have softer imaging, the MBL design puts out very tight imaging within a very engaging soundstage. The whole end of the room comes alive.

post #17 of 61 Old 04-25-15, 01:29 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
Burton Room, Staccato Horn System by Sadurni Acoustics made the very familiar to almost everyone, Nirvana "Come As You Are", sound better than I have ever experienced. 108 dB sensitivity, but no hiss from the Merrill Audio Veritas amps.

The very broad band diffusers are also available from exhibitor, Blue Smoke Entertainment System, and certainly had much to do with the lively, yet smooth, sounds. Helmholtz resonators vacuumed modal room resonances away, leaving only first arrival sound from the loudspeakers.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3168.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3169.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3173.jpg

I don't think that tuning the system
with Room EQ Wizard hurt the sound one bit, either.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150425_121446.png

post #18 of 61 Old 04-25-15, 01:48 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
Ducked into the Channel D exhibit for a quick listen. Systems like the Joseph Audio Pulsar w/Bag End 12" subwoofers are the reason why I am a huge mini monitor/subwoofer type of guy.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3180.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3181.jpg

post #19 of 61 Old 04-25-15, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I am always - ALWAYS - impressed by Dynaudio's offerings. Here is the Focus 600 XD, priced at $13,500 per pair. We listened to 24/96 audio over the supplied wireless LAN, a closed network The 3-way design features DSP and a 150-watt digital amplifier for each driver. I liked the small LED level indicatoor on the corner of each cabinet.

The cabinets are venier matched by pair

I was impressed by the openness of the sound, the sheer emptiness between the sounds and notes.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150425_132333.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150425_132354.png
post #20 of 61 Old 04-25-15, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

The Kingsound Prince III full-range electrostatics are so delightfully clear and transparent, so easy to listen to. They cost $10,000/pair and deliver the deep thumps of a standup bass flawlessly.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-0425151342-600x800.jpg