Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 61 Old 04-26-15, 11:13 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report

Thanks, guys, for the reports and pictures. Those of us who cannot attend really do enjoy and appreciate them.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 04-26-15, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

MartinLogan's new Neolith model, $80,000 per pair, an all passive design, was simply awesome. The imposing speakers are simply nonexistent except for some of the clearest, most effortless sound at the show. The huge electrostatic panels produce impecable imaging.

The all McIntosh front end was drool-worthy as well.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150426_113545.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150426_113601.png
post #33 of 61 Old 04-26-15, 12:52 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
Live Neil Young sounds very... live through the $70,000 Sonus Faber Lillium loudspeakers... easily one of the top 5 rooms, in my opinion.

Without truncation, a life-sized soundstage, realistic amounts of air separating life-sized performers. The upper mids/low highs were just a tad bright for my taste, but this was easy to forgive, the Lillium and Audio Research gear effortlessly filled the large room, captivating me with... forgive me... such a life-like presentation.

This could be my new favorite dome and cone speaker. I'm sure the Audio Research equipment had much to do with this fantastic experience. I have to move on, and am leaving this room, regretfully.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3228.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3234.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3231.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3229.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3227.jpg

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #34 of 61 Old 04-26-15, 02:13 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
The JTR Speakers room featured a bare bones minimalist system, which happens to be my favorite type of machine to listen to music through.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3235.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3236.jpg

Oppo universal player, SpeakerPower amplifier and the latest addition to the JTR family, the Noesis 210RT. Owner Jeff Permanian played what I thought was a frequency sweep from high to low, which literally beat the room, my pants legs and myself, up. Then music began, because this wasn't a sweep, but a song, "Woofer Cooker" off the Boston Acoustics Bass Test CD.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3238.jpg

No subwoofers need apply. The proprietary waveguide maintains pattern control almost all the way down to the room's Schroeder Frequency, ignoring walls and ceiling, directing sound straight to the listener. Couple that with limitless dynamic capability, the Noesis 210 RT delivers a satisfying 2 channel experience.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3237.jpg

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #35 of 61 Old 04-27-15, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

IsoAcoustics

The speaker isolation stands from IsoAcoustics were demonstrated under a pair of speakers side by side with an identical speaker pair mounted on wooden blocks.

Switching between the two, the soundstage went from cluttered and chaotic with the wooden blocks to coherent and clear with the isolators. The difference was dramatic.

While solid anchoring of a speaker cabinet always seems the ideal course, there are situaions where that may not be practical, and an isolator like this might be a solution to consider.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_014340.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_014406.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_014433.png
post #36 of 61 Old 04-27-15, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

ATC

ATC has been a .major player in the studio monitor world for many years. Recently, they have introduced a number of home audio speaker models.

The SCM40, at $7,000/pair, was not set up for the best soundstage and imaging, but moving forward from the listeninng position, I was able to find a spot where they improved markedly.

ATC drivers, all made in-house, use short-coil, long-gap technology, which keeps 3rd harmonic distortion to a miniimum.

I heard clear, crisp definition, especially through the mid and higher ranges, and felt the ATC dome tweeter was one of a few at AXPONA 2015 that I really enjoyed.listening through.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_015755.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_015823.png
post #37 of 61 Old 04-27-15, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Madisound

The Linkwitz LX mini, which is offered by Madisound in kit form, almost looks like a plumbing accident, but the simple, open purity of its sound is a thing of wonder. It is hard to believe the tiny two-way-on-a-pvc-stump can produce such big, open, point-source sound.

The kit includes a miniDSP processor for crossover and EQ. Think of it as a DIY stealth speaker, nearly invisible yet capable of absolute killer sound.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_021240.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_021326.png
post #38 of 61 Old 04-27-15, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Seaton Sound

As reported by HTS writer and reviewer Todd Anderson, the cinema system by Seaton Sound was a must-behold showstopper. Mark Seaton always puts together a great demo, but he outdid himself at AXPONA this year.

The big demo room, 32 x 60 x 13 feet, contained 8 Submersive subwoofers with 2 ,000 Watts of power each, delivering the most natural and awe-inspiring movie sub-bass I have ever witnessed. The same had to be said for the setup in general, with its Seymour AV 115" wide 4k Screen / Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4k Projector combo ($32,000 value for the two).

The $35,000 audio system, with total power capability of 24,000 Watts, sounded tremendous with concert videos and with clips from Ender's Game, Interstellar, and Tron Legacy. It was hands down the "Fun" room of the show, demonstrating impact sound with audiophile sound sensibilities in quantity AND quality.

Mark pretty much summed up the show: "Because we can." What a great time to be alive!
post #39 of 61 Old 04-27-15, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Vapor Audio is another loudspeaker company that I have learned to assume will please my sensibilities. Their new Perfect Storm, their $28,000/pair flagship, might be said to be "Practically Perfect in Every Way."

There were some well-performing speakers at AXPONA 2011, and some strong impressions were left upon my mind, but the Perfect Storms stand out as having one of the best integrated sounds of the show, very refined. I told designer Ryan Scott how beautifully they handled cymbals, preserving the complex tonal character and dynamic realism. His response: "Stored energy," referring to their ultra-quick RAAL tweeter. Perfect Storm's cymbals were gorgeous, second to none in the building.

Drums and percussion leapt from them. Plucked strings and drum beats had a succinct impact I have heard in very few speakers.

Vapor's models consistently perform as well as models twice and more the price by other manufacturers.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_022450.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_022515.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_022551.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_022623.png

Dennis' Impressions

I visited the Vapor room, super duper curious about their latest flagship, the Perfect Storm. My first audition left me a bit cold. Large images located on a life-sized soundstage with great depth, but the highs were just a touch ragged. Having heard at least 5 different Vapor efforts in many different rooms, and owning one of those pairs as my reference loudspeakers, I know the signature Vapor Audio sound very well, so I chalked it up to lack of break-in and less than optimal placement. I returned the following Saturday, a hectic show day, letting a jazz musician friend that was accompanying me that day have a listen, but not taking much time for myself, as I intended to give the guys time to tweak the set up.

Sunday, AXPONA was generally slower, but did little to thin out the show crowd in this room. Sitting off axis one seat from the front center seat, I was able to discern that the high frequency bug bear had been smoothed out. Intent on getting that listening chair, I hovered like a hawk until the center seat was vacated. "Large images located on a life-sized soundstage with great depth", AND the HF smoothness that I have come to associate with Vapor, were all in check. One of the very best sounds of the show, one of my top 5 rooms.

Later, speaking to designer Pete Schumacher and designer/owner Ryan Scott, I found that Vapor Audio was the first to get and use the 2" Accuton driver, which had only arrived right before the show and was not quite voiced into the system. A running crossover change was made to the new driver, a change that help set the gel on a fantastic, over the top, relatively affordable state-of-the-art system.

Check out this milled aluminum four shelf cantilever rack, created by Vapor Audio cabinet maker Ed Rosenquist. It is height adjustable, staggered to keep components cool and looks strong enough to hold the beefiest gear.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3273.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3270.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3272.jpg

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-img_3120.jpg
post #40 of 61 Old 04-27-15, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Van Alstine

One of the design features that makes Frank Van Alstine's power amps special is the use of separate power regulators, not just for each amplification channel, but for each stage of amplification. Frank explained how this keeps crosstalk to extremely low levels, and helps preserve microdynamics and the energy of the music.

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_023530.png

Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report-forumrunner_20150427_023557.png