Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 61 Old 05-03-15, 07:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Audio Expo North America (AXPONA) 2015 Show Report

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I heard good imaging from the La Sphere, lots of detail in it. The voicing / tonal balance was a strange choice. The soundstage, as you mention, was pretty non-remarkable, but setup and room might make a world of difference. And the visual aesthetic speaks for itself (someone obviously liked it). The price was $180,000 per pair. Probably not how I would spend my next paycheck, heh heh. But I can see it having its adherents.
Thank You for another opinion on these speakers. I would bet that we heard different recordings, but I am sure you are right, I did not have the best seat I am sure. Maybe if we pooled out funds, we could buy one speaker

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 Old 05-03-15, 08:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

On to my second most favorite speaker and another one that sits just outside of my financial reach, but maybe used might be ok if I sell more blood every month.
Quad was more or less the original electrostatic speaker, designed by Peter Walker before many of us were born. (Not me of course). I have been a fan of these speakers since the I first heard them in the late 70's. Fast, clear, clean with spacial soundstaging I had not heard before. At this show, they were in a simple set up in the Mobile Fidelity room and were fed sweet vinyl sounds that MoFi is famous for. MoFi did bring their "A" game to this demonstration and I smiled most heartily.

Amplification by Balanced Audio Technologies

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #53 of 61 Old 05-03-15, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Thank You for another opinion on these speakers. I would bet that we heard different recordings...
We did. I was able to play my own tracks.

Quote:
...but I am sure you are right, I did not have the best seat I am sure.
Off-center seating made it difficult to hear the imaging capability.

Quote:
Maybe if we pooled out funds, we could buy one speaker
Pass.

post #54 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

No he is not doing anything but picking a tune from the computer....really

The little KEF speakers really played above their size, very well done Kef.

Good Listening

Jack

post #55 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Back to one of my favorites sub titled, the room with no speakers.

MBL consistently amazes me and this model is no exception. The speakers disappear into the room and leaves only performers on a stage. These little guys run full range and pelt out the jams, top to bottom with very little lacking. The MBL speakers that are one step up from these do a bit better, but frankly I would be happy with these. Not to be outdone, the electronics powering the speakers was stunningly well done.

Good Listening

Jack

post #56 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

A kind of a cheater favorite in that while listening I was floored by the amount of bottom end coming out of these big guys only to find that the big black box in back was a hidden subwoofer. Yikes.
Never the less, these Magicos were very will done and provided a very pleasing sound, yet not the best of show.

Good Listening

Jack

post #57 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:46 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I really liked the sound of these ZU Audio speakers, not too hot, not too cold, for me just right. They are really the antithesis of what I thought I would hear based on their construction. King Crimson was bloody exciting here.

Good Listening

Jack

post #58 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

With only 25 hours on the speakers, these Wilson Audio babies powered by Doshi equipment were really good. I found a bit of hardness in the vocal range but I think the newness as well as room issues were the big factors here. A must hear if you ever get the chance.

Good Listening

Jack

post #59 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

The slightly larger Wilson Audio speakers powered by the ex Krell head, Dan Daugustino electronics proved to be a force to be reckoned with. Well done boys.

Good Listening

Jack

post #60 of 61 Old 05-09-15, 08:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

..and of course, last but by no means least, one of the finest presentations in the hotel. Martin Logan and Macintosh togeter again. These companies danced so well as to be able to name this room, one of the best three of the show.

Good Listening

Jack