Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2015 Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 10-11-15, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2015 Discussion Thread

Hey, 1909 reads so far for the Show Report thread, one-third of them (as I remember it) during the show! Zowie! Live reporting might just be the way to go!

An In Summary post has been added. The Table Of Contents has been updated. All posts are in. We are essentially done. There might be a few little tweaks, a picture added here or there, but that is about it.

We had loads of fun!

See you again soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-12-15, 10:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Thanks, Tonto!
Agreed, few of us can afford the ne plus ultra, but it does help to know what it sounds like.
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
... somehow we managed to ... do our best at picking the must-experience rooms and catching the ones that matter most.
Absolutely! Evaluating cutting edge or cost-no-object designs can be educational and enlightening. That can be said of many "unobtanium" designs. You have to weed out the wanna-be's, though, because overinflated prices create perceived value. But please understand I am not inferring the models skipped are inferior to those reviewed.

How does an unobtanium, exceptional design help John Doe on Main Street pick a real-world one with high bang-for-the-buck? Well for one, it will probably play sounds you've never heard from your favorite music before. (that's what I hear most often). Not that you'll like every new sound you hear. Some detail may be annoying to your ears. And what you consider annoying may be the cat's meow to someone else. In any case, these hide-n-seek sounds now become tools to use when comparing, shopping, or adjusting.

Which brings us to the second benefit of expensive, exceptional products. Motivation. Not motivation to go out and spend more of your hard-earned dollars by competing in, say, the DAC of the Month Club. But motivation to wring more performance out of the equipment you have. Improvements may come in the form of power conditioning, speaker placement, vibration isolation, or lighting. They take many forms, crossing from the practical to the tweako-cultist; but actually improve the presentation instead of just changing it.

Another benefit (I wanted to say "last" but others may have more to say) is education. Once your listening experience with a cutting-edge product shows you what's possible, you become a better listener as well as a better teacher. You are better-armed to deal with pushy or uninformed (not to be confused with uniformed, haha) sales people. And you can also help others with their decisions even while at the same time ignoring that listening is a highly subjective experience.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-20-15, 12:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Just got through reading your report, gentlemen. Thanks for doing an awesome write-up. It seems I skim through reports of the mainstream audio media, but I enjoyed thoroughly reading nearly every post of yours.

Wayne, I noticed that you mentioned The Wailin' Jennys a couple of times. I love those ladies and their sound, particularly their gorgeous, precise and intricate vocal harmonies. I'm curious what tracks you are enjoying, if you don't mind sharing.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-20-15, 05:46 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Ditto, that. When I read your reviews I can't stop. I usually get very bored with most.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-21-15, 06:49 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

I have resized some of the photos as large as the forum will allow, much improvement.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #16 of 18 Old 10-21-15, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Just got through reading your report, gentlemen. Thanks for doing an awesome write-up. It seems I skim through reports of the mainstream audio media, but I enjoyed thoroughly reading nearly every post of yours.

Wayne, I noticed that you mentioned The Wailin' Jennys a couple of times. I love those ladies and their sound, particularly their gorgeous, precise and intricate vocal harmonies. I'm curious what tracks you are enjoying, if you don't mind sharing.
I love their music, even saw them live in a small, intimate setting a number of years back. The track I included on my RMAF mix CD was One Voice, with an earlier combination of 4 voices. I also regularly run Glory Bound, and somewhere got a live version (Prairie Home Companion) of Callin' All Angels.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-22-15, 09:45 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I love their music, even saw them live in a small, intimate setting a number of years back. The track I included on my RMAF mix CD was One Voice, with an earlier combination of 4 voices. I also regularly run Glory Bound, and somewhere got a live version (Prairie Home Companion) of Callin' All Angels.
What, four voices? I thought I knew their history, but didn't know there were ever more that three vocalists at a time. One Voice is iconic IMO. Calling All Angels is on their live CD (Mauch Chunk); didn't know of any other recording. Anyway, veering off-topic a bit, but you, sir, have fine taste I say
post #18 of 18 Old 10-25-15, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
What, four voices? I thought I knew their history, but didn't know there were ever more that three vocalists at a time. One Voice is iconic IMO. Calling All Angels is on their live CD (Mauch Chunk); didn't know of any other recording. Anyway, veering off-topic a bit, but you, sir, have fine taste I say
Beg pardon, you are correct. The album credits show only three vocalists. At 1:55 in that song, the fourth verse begins with a different harmonization than the previous one, and I thought I remembered a fourth vocalist on that album, and my brain seems to have filled in the fourth part. Upon closer inspection and listening, it was all one of those psycho-acoustical illusions they talk about, we might dub it "fourth harmony bias."

Calling All Angels, I believe I borrowed from an online archive of that Prairie Home Companion performance.