Another subwoofer GTG, Southern Style - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 56 Old 03-08-09, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

brandon

Another subwoofer GTG, Southern Style

The Great Southern Sub Shootout

Official Date Saturday April 18th, 2009

If you want to attend be sure to post in this forum thread and I'll send you a PM with location info.

Drivers/ Subwoofers confirmed

ED 190v2 18 in a large ported cab tuned to 15hz (Brandonnash)
Shiva X 12 in a 6.5 cu ft 18hz tuned ported cab and possibly a ED A7S-450 (mjg100)
LMS 18 sealed (Ricci)
XXX 18 sealed (Ricci)
Audiopulse Epic 12" possibly X 2 (Robertcharles)
John J. from AE is likely sending something. TD18+H, AV15, or AV12 with PR's, not sure yet.
Outlaw LFM-1 (Kip)
WorxAudio Technologies TL.118SS or another nice pro sub (KyleLee)
Bic H100 (Villi)
JL 13W7 (Carl Kennedy from JL Audio)
Amplifiers confirmed

EP2500 ( Brandonnash)
CE4000 (Ricci)
Crest 8002 (Ricci)
ITECH 8000 (Robertcharles)
Receiver: HK AVR-247 (Kip)

Hey guys, After reading all about the WI sub shootout and regretting not being able to make the 10 or so hour drive up there I've did some thinking that maybe us southerners could throw something together. If there's enough interest we'll set a good date. I'm thinking a Saturday in April. Nothing concrete yet. Have been working on a straight home theater meet for a while, but interest there is lacking. Just sent out pm's to all that were interested to see if they still want to come down Murfreesboro's way.

My setup right now is nothing spectacular. ED 19Ov.2 in a ~12.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to 15 hz. Powered as of tomorrow with an EP2500. Athena bookshelves and Pioneer receiver. 55" Mitsubishi HD RPTV.

The room is a game room/media room. Roughly 22'X22' with carpet over concrete floor. For outside measurement (depending on weather) have a larger back yard that could probably be used for good raw data without room gain.

Spoke with Ricci on PM and he's more than likely up for it with some of his drivers, amps and measurement equipment when we get a date.

I'm located in Murfreesboro, TN just outside of Nashville. Good central southern location for anyone wanting to make the drive. Only ~2.5 hours from Atlanta and 40 minutes from Nashville.

I'm new to the whole "meet" thing, so any input would be appreciated. I would like to limit the amount of subs/attendees ONLY because from reading posts on Warpdrv's GTG thread it seems that there was so much woofage that it was hard to get a good feel observation of everything there.

Oh, one more thing, I'm also a big BBQ buff, so I would imagine I'll have to make some good pulled pork for the day too. I've received high praise for my Q so I'll see what I can do to get everyone fed too.

Brandon

Last edited by brandonnash; 04-03-09 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 03-08-09, 10:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

Re: Another subwoofer GTG, Southern Style

I'm interested, but with school - it'd have to be on the weekend. I'm in Chattanooga, so not a far drive. I'm not sure if I'd have anything to show - depending on the time, a smalled 3 ft^3 sealed box with 2 Mach5 MAW15's on an LT circuit. That's only if I can get the second MAW in time. For now I just have one.
post #3 of 56 Old 03-11-09, 03:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Looks like this is shaping up to be another doozey. April 18th is the tentative date right now. More info will be forthcoming I'm sure.

post #4 of 56 Old 03-12-09, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

brandon

Its looking good so far. Lots of interest. Will post full details when I get home from work today.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 56 Old 03-13-09, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Brandon has set the date as Saturday April the 18th. So far we have a good selection of subwoofers and amps shaping up.

Drivers/ Subwoofers confirmed

ED 190v2 18 in a large ported cab tuned to 15hz (Brandonnash)
Shiva X 12 in a 6.5 cu ft 18hz tuned ported cab and possibly a ED A7S-450 (mjg100)
LMS 18 sealed (me)
XXX 18 sealed (me)
John J. from AE is likely sending something. TD18+H, AV15, or AV12 with PR's, not sure yet.

Amplifiers confirmed

EP2500 ( Brandonnash)
CE4000 (me)
Crest 8002 (me)

There are a lot of tentatives and unconfirmed people and gear that I'm not listing. Including some noteworthy people and equipment, such as a Worx audio TS118.ss that uses TC Sounds big Neo 18 PA woofer. We are working on shipping with Kyle K. on that. Rumors of an IT-8000 amplifier and multiple AV15's are another example showing up. Hopefully people will start to confirm, or not be confirmed soon.

If you are interested in coming and bringing some gear, or not, please let it be known. I believe that there is still room for a few more attendees.
post #6 of 56 Old 03-14-09, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

brandon

Quote:
mgboy wrote: View Post
I'm interested, but with school - it'd have to be on the weekend. I'm in Chattanooga, so not a far drive. I'm not sure if I'd have anything to show - depending on the time, a smalled 3 ft^3 sealed box with 2 Mach5 MAW15's on an LT circuit. That's only if I can get the second MAW in time. For now I just have one.
That sub would fit nicely. If you want to be put on the list it's April 18th. Chat town is not too far away at all. Just let me know.
post #7 of 56 Old 03-14-09, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

brandon

Any ideas for good demo material? I'm guessing the best way to go is a good mix of stuff. Some heavy bass movies and some music. I think acoustic bass would probably be one of the best way of evaluating these for SQ. Wanting to make a dvd with around 30 minutes-1 hour so we have plenty of time to listen to each sub.
post #8 of 56 Old 03-18-09, 04:09 AM
Banned!
Kyle Keating

I'm confirming the delivery of a WorxAudio TL.118SS. (tuning ~24Hz) If that falls thru I will have a similar pro audio subwoofer prototype that uses the same driver. Honestly, i hope there is some good competition, this thing is a beast. I'll front shipping, i just need a trusty caretaker on the other end. I would like to see this run off the I-T8k!
post #9 of 56 Old 03-18-09, 06:18 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
brandonnash wrote: View Post
Any ideas for good demo material? I'm guessing the best way to go is a good mix of stuff. Some heavy bass movies and some music. I think acoustic bass would probably be one of the best way of evaluating these for SQ. Wanting to make a dvd with around 30 minutes-1 hour so we have plenty of time to listen to each sub.
For some really testing bass, the sound wave scene in Hulk is a good start, although some may not want their sub stressed in such a way.
post #10 of 56 Old 03-18-09, 12:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I'll agree on the sound wave scene in Hulk. That was an experience!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.