SE Wisconsin Speaker GTG on April 14th - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 04-03-12, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

SE Wisconsin Speaker GTG on April 14th

For those interested in all things speakers/2-channel audio, we will be hosting a speaker GTG in Manitowoc, WI on April 14th in which we'll be comparing a half dozen or so speakers from Popular ID and B&M manufacturers; though the main focus became ID. The list of speakers that will be present is as follows:

Salk Sound SoundScape 10
Philharmonic 2 (Dennis Murphy designed)
Salk Veracity HT2-TL
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower w/RAAl tweeter
Salk SongTower RT
PSB Image T55 Tower
Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers) - Triple 12HT-lp
Mark Seaton (Seaton Sound) - Speakers to be determined

Invited but not yet fully confirmed:

Ryan from Vapor Audio - Cirrus Speaker

The event will begin at 10:00 a.m. and finish when it finishes. Jim Salk will be attending to present his SoundScape 10's, and while Dennis Murphy wanted to attend the cost of the airline ticket was too much; we're happy he's sending us a pair of his speakers, though.

We currently have 23-25 various forum members attending and will be using the following equipment and song selections for the GTG.

This was taken from TJHUB's post: (Terry, whom is opening his home for the event)

My gear list:

Source: Logitech Touch
My Touch is running the SoundCheck TT3.0 mods with the volume lock activated (very important, and a long story). The Touch is fed via wired ethernet cable from a server computer in my basement. The server computer is set to do all of the FLAC decoding and streams PCM to the Touch. The Touch is also powered by a DIY power supply that almost made me flip out the first time I heard it. The performance is FAR better than just using an off the shelf linear power supply.

DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
The DAC is completely stock at the moment, and will likely stay that way. I am using a Psvane 12AU7 tube though. I have some opamps I've rolled, but I'm very happy with the sound as-is.

Preamp: Rogue Audio Perseus
The preamp is 100% stock including the tubes. Since its arrival in my setup, I have been completely satisfied with it's performance. It basically just disappears completely with the tubes providing a more 3D and layered sound stage. For the record, there is no traditional warm or tube sound allowed in my house. I look to get the sound as realistic as possible.

Amps: Odyssey Audio Stratos Extreme SE Monoblocks
These monos have the "Extreme SE" upgrades which are dual transformers, and upgraded wire/components inside. It is my understanding that they output a little over 200wrms into 8ohms, and approximately 360wrms into 4ohms.

Cables: Don't kid yourself, they matter!
For those that care... I have a Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital coax between the Touch and my DAC. I am in the process of trying to decide between the Sweet Spot Reveal IC's and Morrow MA2 IC's. Both sound fantastic, but offer slightly different presentations. Either sets sound absolutely wonderful, so I'm having a difficult time picking a "winner." I'm running a DIY pair of PCOCC speaker cables that I think are the best I've heard. I purchased them pre-made with a loose Litz braid for $60.00 shipped.

Of course my speakers are Salk HT2-TL's with the older LCY ribbon tweeter. I don't think I've found their limits yet, but I don't think I'll be trying to anymore either. I've loved them since day one, and I've heard no other speaker I'd rather have.

I do run a pair of EQ'd DIY 18" TC Sounds LMS-Ultra's for both music and HT. I hope to be able to show their performance for music at the GTG, time permitting. I think they are absolutely spectacular, and I can't live without them for my room. Of course they will likely be out of the room for the GTG to allow every speaker to display its full performance. I'm not worried about my HT2-TL's as they easily shake the floor with their bass output

We debated having a blind shootout, but as those who've participated in one in the past already knows, it can be very stressful and tedious. Due to the number of speakers and attendees we've decided against a blind testing method. Our goal is to have a great time and hopefully provide folks who normally wouldn't be able to hear the speakers in attendance some solid listening time with such.

Here is the track list that Terry and I decided on:

"Boxenkiller" by Cyrill Lutzelschwab and Martin Hess
"Ntyilo Ntyilo (The Love Bird)" by Hugh Masakela
"Walking On The Moon" by The Yuri Honing Trio
"Chant" by Foreplay
"Copland - Fanfare For The Common Man" by Erich Kunzel: Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
"Jazz Variants" by The O-Zone Percussion Group
"Red Rain (Instrumental)" by Peter Gabriel
"Dream On" by Kelly Sweet
"Just Like Love" by Steve Strauss
"Rubina" by Joe Satriani
"Into The Void" by Nine Inch Nails
"Hells Bells" by AC/DC
45 seconds of the finale to "Mussorgsky's Pictures" at an Exhibition

You can find more information at the dedicated thread at AVS forum, and I'll update this thread as necessary. We're open to any advice or constructive criticism regarding the event.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nuance; 04-03-12 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-03-12, 10:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System
Re: SE Wisconsin Speaker GTG on April 14th

Too bad you're not in California... I would be all over this GTG otherwise. Great lineup so far! I really like the SongTowers. They are fantastic speakers. Please take pictures!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #3 of 20 Old 04-03-12, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
Too bad you're not in California... I would be all over this GTG otherwise. Great lineup so far! I really like the SongTowers. They are fantastic speakers. Please take pictures!
I think you're the third person to say that (specifically from CA). I know you guys have a lot of great audiophiles out there.

We're going to have a blast here in WI. Mark Seaton and Jeff from JTR just confirmed and will likely be bring a pair of speakers each, so it just got even better.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-03-12, 01:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

I would LOVE to go. Especially considering I haven't heard any of Seaton Sound's stuff, that'd be a great opportunity! Glad to see even more support for the GTG!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #5 of 20 Old 04-03-12, 08:30 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I am very happy to say I have been invited to this and am really looking forward to it!

post #6 of 20 Old 04-14-12, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Today is the day! Have fun and keep us posted, guys.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #7 of 20 Old 04-14-12, 09:08 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

What a day! There is so much to talk about that it will take a couple days to get it all processed. For now, thanks to the gentlemen responsible for putting together this great experience.

A couple quick photos!

post #8 of 20 Old 04-16-12, 09:36 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Excellent, looking forward to listener impressions, and more pics!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #9 of 20 Old 04-18-12, 04:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Joe, are you still going to write a review? Interested in your impressions of the different speakers.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-18-12, 04:32 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Sorry, Jeff, yes I am. It has been pretty crazy around here this week. I have started a post for it on Sunday night and still have not finished it yet. I will definitely try to get it done in the next couple days. I have all the pictures loaded to my gallery now and will be including them as well.

FYI - Nuance said that our host discovered an issue with one of his Oddessey amps this past Monday.