AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 102 Old 03-11-13, 03:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Fantastic coverage, Joe! I am sorry I wasn't able to make the trip, but my schedule has forever changed. Keep up the great coverage buddy, and thanks for doing so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 Old 03-11-13, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Nuance wrote: View Post
Fantastic coverage, Joe! I am sorry I wasn't able to make the trip, but my schedule has forever changed. Keep up the great coverage buddy, and thanks for doing so.
Great to hear from you Brandon! Yeah, I completely understand those schedule changes. Hopefully, you can make it to Des Moines next month!

post #33 of 102 Old 03-11-13, 05:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
My last stop of the day was at an exhibitor's room whose products I was familiar with - Salk Sound. The system equipment was provided by Audio by Van Alstine. Here are a few photos:

Jim Salk brought three speakers - the Supercharged Songtowers (in white), the Soundscape 8s, and the Soundscape M7s:

I have to agree here, the Supercharged Songtowers were absolutely wonderful and seemed to do everything right, irrespective of their size. I was truly impressed.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"

post #34 of 102 Old 03-11-13, 05:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
The Von Schweikert VR-100XS Universe system was next - a few photos:

The front wall:

Totally agree, this system - room was brilliant. I could happily live with these forever and a day....maybe longer. If I ever come into money, I think some of the systems you are posting would find their way into my home indeed.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #35 of 102 Old 03-11-13, 05:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
Next up was the Nightingale Concentus CTR 2 speakers. A couple photos:

I hope I do not ruffle any feathers here by saying I just could not warm up to these speakers. Yes they were fast and detailed, but maybe too detailed. Some of the sounds actually hurt my ears just a tad as they were almost brittle on the music being played during my visit. I quietly left after but a few minutes. Not my cup of music.

Good Listening

Jack

post #36 of 102 Old 03-11-13, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
I hope I do not ruffle any feathers here by saying I just could not warm up to these speakers. Yes they were fast and detailed, but maybe too detailed. Some of the sounds actually hurt my ears just a tad as they were almost brittle on the music being played during my visit. I quietly left after but a few minutes. Not my cup of music.
Not at all Jack - we all know that when it comes to speakers, it really comes down to individual taste. I will admit that when they started playing the third opera-level female vocal in a row, it started to grate on me a bit. But, for me, that probably is more a function of my taste in music as opera has never really appealed to me personally. As those that are following along have probably surmised by now, I thoroughly enjoy detail - I want to hear everything! In some of the upcoming impressions, you will get a better sense of just how much.

How is that for a teaser post!

post #37 of 102 Old 03-12-13, 02:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

This is absolutely awesome reporting Joe. I hope the Lone Star Audio Fest is a quarter as good as the Axpona show appeared to be. Great job!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #38 of 102 Old 03-12-13, 02:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Wow Joe! great thread so far. I have no idea where you found the time to do all this. Its a realy amazing job, full of great information.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #39 of 102 Old 03-12-13, 02:57 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah... we absolutely have a star here... a natural show reporter.

Hey... we got dibs on him too, so those of you reading, don't get no ideas.
post #40 of 102 Old 03-12-13, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
This is absolutely awesome reporting Joe. I hope the Lone Star Audio Fest is a quarter as good as the Axpona show appeared to be. Great job!
Thanks Dale - I am planning on posting some closing thoughts on the show after I get all the system impressions finished. I did get an email yesterday that they already are planning for next year. They actually have a list of vendors who did not exhibit this year that want to sign up for next year due to the success of this one. Over 4,000 attendees.....

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Wow Joe! great thread so far. I have no idea where you found the time to do all this. Its a realy amazing job, full of great information.
Thanks Tony - the sad part is that I missed most of one floor because I really wanted to spend a bit of time in each room to get a good sampling of music. I did notice a few press members who popped in, took a picture, and left. Not sure how you get an idea of what a system is really capable of in that short a time frame. Of course, I am sure they were able to make it to every room unlike me.....

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Yeah... we absolutely have a star here... a natural show reporter.

Hey... we got dibs on him too, so those of you reading, don't get no ideas.
Thanks for the compliment, but one (of many - again, closing thoughts at the end - teaser! ) of the things I learned was that I have a LOT to learn.