AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 102 Old 03-12-13, 04:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Now I just need to take out a second mortgage on my house to afford to buy something form there

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 08:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

One of the most valuable lessons i learned at this fine show is that there are but a few things i could actually afford.
Maybe this one if I traded in my coin jar and that is only because I already have the computer

o

o

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #43 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
One of the most valuable lessons i learned at this fine show is that there are but a few things i could actually afford.
Right there with you sir! Funny story - I am going to be doing a bit more reporting from other events. When my wife and I talked about it, her biggest concern was that I was going to come back wanting $50,000 speakers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #44 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 11:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Those MBL 101 E MKIIs are the most odd looking speakers Ive seen in a long time. Your correct about them making you feel like you are in some sort of Sci Fi movie. I immediately thought of "Dr Who" LOL

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #45 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 01:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Will it rival some of the other setups that were on display - probably not, but it gets you close at about one-tenth the price. A great system for those of us working on a budget!

The MSRP of the P-3000R pre-amp is $1,699 with the M-5000R amp coming in at $2,499 and the C-7000R CD player listing at $1,499. They were using the Focal 918s for speakers.

Agreed totally, this thought went through my head many times as I wandered the halls and stepped into the rooms. Who are the prospective buyers for most of this gear ? Certainly not I nor my companion. This room was a delightful change. The music hall room below also showed me how good sounds can be made on a budget. I loved the new MH turntable for only $1000 with cartridge, this room sounded very good.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #46 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Agreed totally, this thought went through my head many times as I wandered the halls and stepped into the rooms. Who are the prospective buyers for most of this gear ? Certainly not I nor my companion. This room was a delightful change. The music hall room below also showed me how good sounds can be made on a budget. I loved the new MH turntable for only $1000 with cartridge, this room sounded very good.

One of the rooms I did not make it to....

post #47 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 08:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Thanks so much for the reporting, really nice job of covering the event. Acutally, I must agree this is the best I have seen. Look forward to you being at more shows!
post #48 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 08:18 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Early Saturday afternoon brought me to Soundfield Audio's room.

This was the debut of the new Monitor 2 developed by AJ, the owner of Soundfield Audio. Unfortunately, no specs were available, but the MSRP is $1,800. I loved the finish of the cabinet - a hardwood front with gloss black for the rest of the cabinet looked very polished.

When I was done, I actually wrote "these sounds just as good as my floorstanders" in my notes - a very impressive monitor.
I surely hope they sound good, because they aren't going anywhere on looks alone. Those are some really goofy, disproportionate looking speakers.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #49 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 08:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
The SubMersive F2s use dual opposed 15" sealed woofers. They have a DSP-controlled 2400W amp with a stated FR of 15/19 Hz - 200 Hz selectable with typical in-room extension to 8-14 Hz. The SubMersive HPs also use dual opposed 15" sealed woofers and have a DSP-controlled 2400W amp with a stated FR of 15/19 Hz - 200 Hz selectable with typical in-room extension to 8-14 Hz.
Just one minor correction with regards to Mark's subwoofers; the regular SubMersive's and the HP's are dual opposed, but the F2's have all their drivers facing forward.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #50 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 08:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Seaton

Send a message via AIM to Mark Seaton

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for the kind comments and great reporting of the show overall. It worked out great that you found your way to the room while many were still downstairs after the fire alarm. Many times the room was packed and with the very tough room acoustics and small dimensions, the sound quality and surround effects fell off quickly outside of the center seating.

Quote:
The SubMersive F2s use dual opposed 15" sealed woofers. They have a DSP-controlled 2400W amp with a stated FR of 15/19 Hz - 200 Hz selectable with typical in-room extension to 8-14 Hz. The SubMersive HPs also use dual opposed 15" sealed woofers and have a DSP-controlled 2400W amp with a stated FR of 15/19 Hz - 200 Hz selectable with typical in-room extension to 8-14 Hz.

This was my best experience of the day for Saturday - and in my top 3 for all weekend. Great job!
Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Just one minor correction with regards to Mark's subwoofers; the regular SubMersive's and the HP's are dual opposed, but the F2's have all their drivers facing forward.
The correction should be to me!
Joe did a fine job of copying my error on the spec sheet which was handed out where I had copied some info from the SubMersive HP and missed that bit of editing. Good catch!

Mark Seaton
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham