AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Quote:
Mark Seaton wrote: View Post
The correction should be to me!
Joe did a fine job of copying my error on the spec sheet which was handed out where I had copied some info from the SubMersive HP and missed that bit of editing. Good catch!
Doh! Perhaps I should have used my eyes and looked more closely at the picture I took....

Thanks for catching my error gentlemen!

Changed it in the post...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 09:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Mark Seaton wrote: View Post
The correction should be to me!

Joe did a fine job of copying my error on the spec sheet which was handed out where I had copied some info from the SubMersive HP and missed that bit of editing. Good catch!
I never would have guessed that - your one of the few people who are more of a perfectionist then I am! OK Joe, you're off the hook it seems.

See you at Andrews next month my friend...

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #53 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I surely hope they sound good, because they aren't going anywhere on looks alone. Those are some really goofy, disproportionate looking speakers.
To be honest Jim, several speakers I saw were using the C shaped cabinet design - this just happened to be the only monitor that did so. It really was not bad IMO.

Quote:
I never would have guessed that - your one of the few people who are more of a perfectionist then I am! OK Joe, you're off the hook it seems.

See you at Andrews next month my friend...
No I am not - I should have actually "read" what I was typing.

post #54 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 09:42 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Early Saturday afternoon brought me to Soundfield Audio's room.

This was the debut of the new Monitor 2 developed by AJ, the owner of Soundfield Audio. Unfortunately, no specs were available, but the MSRP is $1,800. I loved the finish of the cabinet - a hardwood front with gloss black for the rest of the cabinet looked very polished.

As for the sound, when I go to listen to a monitor, I like to hear one that "sounds bigger" than it is. And, AJ's Monitor 2 delivers this in spades. They imaged so well - eyes open or closed, I really could not localize the speakers at all. Instrumental clarity was off the charts - you could hear every instrument. I particularly noticed the quality of the horns - not overpowering in the slightest. And, this was another monitor that I would have sworn was crossed to a sub - tight, clean bass. If I had to guess, I would lay bets on clean down to around 30-35 Hz - in a monitor! And, lest I forget, the ability to handle the range of female vocals was excellent as well.

When I was done, I actually wrote "these sounds just as good as my floorstanders" in my notes - a very impressive monitor.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for stopping by, it was nice to meet you. If I recall, you actually stuck around for a couple tracks. Hopefully none too boring.
Some of the specs are on my site on the "Coming Soon" page, but I will update asap. The price is "per pair". Been pretty hectic since flying back on Monday.
The system comprised of my laptop - 16/44k WAV > Nuforce uDAC-2 > Power Modules (Belles) Soloist 1 integrated amp. MG Audio Design cabling used throughout.
Maybe I'll see you next year as well.

cheers,

AJ

Last edited by ajinfla; 03-15-13 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Incorrect amp model #
post #55 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
Hi Joe,

Thanks for stopping by, it was nice to meet you. If I recall, you actually stuck around for a couple tracks. Hopefully none too boring.
Some of the specs are on my site on the "Coming Soon" page, but I will update asap. Been pretty hectic since flying back on Monday.
The system comprised of my laptop - 16/44k WAV > Nuforce uDAC-2 > Power Modules (Belles) IA-01 integrated amp. MG Audio Design cabling used throughout.
Maybe I'll see you next year as well.

cheers,

AJ
It was great to meet you as well AJ! I did stick around for a bit - and it was not boring at all! That is a great speaker you have on your hands - and thanks for posting the system.

I will definitely be there - so happy to get a show on this scale in our area.

post #56 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 10:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
To be honest Jim, several speakers I saw were using the C shaped cabinet design - this just happened to be the only monitor that did so. It really was not bad IMO.
It wasn't really the C shape of the cabinet, per se - there are a lot of companies now that use a similar curvature. For me it was how deep the cabinet was, along with how tall and skinny the front looked, which make it appear unbalanced. That, and the gargantuan ribbon driver dominating the faceplate add up to a look that I don't find terribly appealing. It seems as though you liked how they sounded though, which is always a good thing.

Quote:
No I am not - I should have actually "read" what I was typing.
Nah. With all you've written, photographed and posted it's simply not possible to be 100% accurate. That would be asking too much from anyone. I blame Mark.

-Jim

post #57 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
It wasn't really the C shape of the cabinet, per se - there are a lot of companies now that use a similar curvature. For me it was how deep the cabinet was, along with how tall and skinny the front looked, which make it appear unbalanced. That, and the gargantuan ribbon driver dominating the faceplate add up to a look that I don't find terribly appealing. It seems as though you liked how they sounded though, which is always a good thing.:
I wonder if the depth of the cabinet is what allows them to dig that deep. I am speaker design illiterate, but no kidding aside, there were several towers that were not doing as well in the low end as this guy was.

post #58 of 102 Old 03-13-13, 11:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

You know I do wonder why it seems that quite a few of these companies brought what seems to be their most expensive products to the show. I can only imagine that the majority of the people visiting are not in the market for these expensive systems, although I could be mistaken, since I was not there.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the really nice products and give it all a listen myself just to compare the 10's and 100's of thousand dollar systems with my wimpy setup at home... and to simply see the stuff... so much of it is so nice to merely look at in person. HOWEVER, why not bring with you a reasonably priced system that might be more affordable and that might be more in line with what the majority of folks will buy. Then again, I suppose those products might get overshadowed by the more expensive gear. I suppose too that if they sold just one of those higher end systems, it would be the equivalent of selling several of the lesser expensive systems.
post #59 of 102 Old 03-14-13, 07:57 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
I wonder if the depth of the cabinet is what allows them to dig that deep. I am speaker design illiterate, but no kidding aside, there were several towers that were not doing as well in the low end as this guy was.
Some companies are of the "form follows function" mindset, others are the exact opposite. Based upon that speakers appearance I would assume those folks aren't the latter.

More than likely you're correct regarding the cabinets internal volume, and hence it's overall size; rich, full bodied sound very often does require cabinets of substantial proportions, so it's quite possible that the end result, sound wise, dictated a lot of the esthetics (including the slim width).

-Jim

post #60 of 102 Old 03-14-13, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
You know I do wonder why it seems that quite a few of these companies brought what seems to be their most expensive products to the show. I can only imagine that the majority of the people visiting are not in the market for these expensive systems, although I could be mistaken, since I was not there.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the really nice products and give it all a listen myself just to compare the 10's and 100's of thousand dollar systems with my wimpy setup at home... and to simply see the stuff... so much of it is so nice to merely look at in person. HOWEVER, why not bring with you a reasonably priced system that might be more affordable and that might be more in line with what the majority of folks will buy. Then again, I suppose those products might get overshadowed by the more expensive gear. I suppose too that if they sold just one of those higher end systems, it would be the equivalent of selling several of the lesser expensive systems.
To be honest, I think the folks who set the show up did a good job of assigning space. Most of the huge money setups were on the main level or the mezzanine. There were a few on the other 3 floors (the MBLs come to mind), but for the most part those 3 floors had components that would not break the bank so to speak.

Plus, from a purely marketing perspective, it seems to me you bring your most expensive system so that attendees remember it. Then, when they are in the market for equipment, they remember your name and go to your site. I am not sure how many sales actually happen at the shows - that is a good question for me to ask moving forward.